Which classes should I fight conservatively?

As a warrior, I sometimes have pretty good board control around turns 4-6. But lately, I have been wondering (and goes for any class really), when should I let loose and play cards, and when should I remain conservative?

I know against Hunter, I should keep only around 2 minions on the board.

Same goes for mage as turn 7 approaches.

And the rest? I just had 2 really long games in a row against the priest because I was withholding my hand in case of holy nova, auchenai + Circle of Healing, or eventually a Mind Control.

Would like to know some guidelines about when to hold back and when to go full gas.

Thanks!
Reply Quote
I try to go full gas 4-attack minions against priests.

Rogues are pretty safe to go ham on though most I've played against have aggro decks of their own which I have to deal with

Shammy, I generally go pretty hard.. can't afford to let the totems get out of hand.

Warlock, is more situational. If he's going aggro zoo.. have to control him and last to the end game.

Pally.. I concede.. their early game is strong and their end game is stronger with lay on hands
Reply Quote
03/27/2014 02:04 PMPosted by Ravis
I try to go full gas 4-attack minions against priests.

Rogues are pretty safe to go ham on though most I've played against have aggro decks of their own which I have to deal with

Shammy, I generally go pretty hard.. can't afford to let the totems get out of hand.

Warlock, is more situational. If he's going aggro zoo.. have to control him and last to the end game.

Pally.. I concede.. their early game is strong and their end game is stronger with lay on hands

So you're never worried about a lightning storm, hellfire, or blade flurry?

Also I unfortunately only have two 4 attack minions in Kor'Kron Elites. Don't have Cairne.

My thinking with paladin was to match him punch for punch. If I do more, he equality consecrates for big value; if I go passive, he can all-in for board control then divine favors to make up the card disparity.
Edited by Blaisem on 3/27/2014 2:34 PM PDT
Reply Quote
03/27/2014 02:31 PMPosted by Blaisem
My thinking with paladin was to match him punch for punch. If I do more, he equality consecrates for big value; if I go passive, he can all-in for board control then divine favors to make up the card disparity.

Paladin is a pain for us warriors, basically you have to put cards in your deck that always get value.

cleave and weapon smith sort of stuff, so you can sit on one or two creatures, and still be able to kill the 4+ he might summon. its a balancing act, but it is do able.
Reply Quote
I got blown up for 14 by a Hunter in one turn. With only 2 minions on the board at the time. Eaglehorn bow, 2 Unleash the Hounds, Kill Command, and the wolf for +1 attack.

How is that even fair? :(
Reply Quote
Thank you all!
Reply Quote
Depends on your deck. However heres a run down.

Mages.

dont place too many minions when approaching turn 7. Almost all mages include flame strike. Generally you want to bait him to use it.

Hunters who run Unleash the hounds depend on your minions.

General rule keep your minion count at ethier 1 or 3. Mostly because they will try to ethier A multi shot you or B use the Uth combo early combating for board control. C Place an explosive trap secret. Or D drop 2 -1 rrades in general.

Paladins is a bit of a meh. I have only had real difficulty vs consecrate equality decks. They are generally quite few in my experience.

Shamans iv seen run 2 drastic plays. Spell spaming or minion spaming. Tbh if you dont have a capable deck for em you will just have to do your best.
Reply Quote
Mage: Is starting to run Blizzard again I've seen, so planning around turn 6 and turn 7 as a Blizzard+Flamestrike is worth doing. Definitely don't over-extend before his 7 or 9 mana play. Always assume he has at least 1 Poly unless both are used.

Paladin: Be prepared for Consecrate on 4, or Truesilver every game, Equality-Consecrate on 6, Equality-Pyro on 4, Pally 4 mana plays are OP OP. And never, ever have 2 large threats on the board at once. Try to force his Equality out. Note, even with 2 Consecrates used, Control Pally runs double Pyromancer. For Control Warrior it's like a 30% win-rate, good luck.

Shaman: Turn 3 and Turn 5 Lightning Storms. Turn 3 play around 3 damage Lightning Storm, Turn 5 around 4 damage Lightning Storm. Always assume he has atleast 1 Hex in hand unless he has used both already. Really !@#$ty match-up, good luck.

Rogue: Turn 3, Turn 5, Turn 7, and Turn 9 are all worth consideration. On 3 he can do aoe 3 damage, on 5 and 7, aoe of 2. On 9 aoe of 3, if he's the spellpower variant.

Priest: Turn 4 and Turn 5 are his aoe turns, 4 is basically a board clear with Auchenai+Circle of Healing, 5 is Holy Nova so his trades can be insanely good. Always assume Mind Control unless bla-bla

I'll do the rest if there's interest.
Edited by VSarius on 3/28/2014 7:19 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Auchenai Soulpriest is a 4 mana creature.
Reply Quote
03/28/2014 07:06 PMPosted by Vorochi
Auchenai Soulpriest is a 4 mana creature.

My bad, fixed.
Reply Quote
I keep a Harrison jones in my deck to help deal with hunters, rogues, shamans and paladins...worked out well for me so far as control warrior...
Reply Quote
03/28/2014 07:22 PMPosted by REDSUN
I keep a Harrison jones in my deck to help deal with hunters, rogues, shamans and paladins...worked out well for me so far as control warrior...

Is he really that much better than Acidic Swamp Ooze?
Reply Quote
03/29/2014 07:50 AMPosted by Studoku
03/28/2014 07:22 PMPosted by REDSUN

Is he really that much better than Acidic Swamp Ooze?

Yes. He's a better replacement for the spot Tinkmaster used to occupy, contending with Owl and BGH. Those two cards are targeted at control non-mirror, Harrison at everything else including mirror. He's less consistent in my experience but he is better vs. more decks, most importantly Secrets Hunter which is just a !@#$% to deal with. Look at both as spells, Ooze is 3 mana cheaper for losing Draw X Cards. If you Harrison a 2 durability, he is strictly better. If you Harrison 1 durability, it's likely Gorehowl and the tempo/value play is just huge.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]