Hunter Midrange/Control?

I quit playing Hunter once Unleash the Hounds was reworked the first time. It’s not that I have any objections to aggro. In MTG I frequently ran Mono Green elf decks. Shier numbers and overrunning the enemy isn’t something I'm against. I quit playing Hunter because people started trying to play around UtH, and as I was playing a secret control deck peoples assumption rendered it inert; where before, if managed correctly, was quite devastating and difficult to combat.

Three weeks ago I created a Midrange/Control Warrior and I’m enjoying some success with it. Since then I’ve been wondering. Is there a Midrange/Control Hunter deck?

I ask for several reasons. First of all the Hunter’s bows are just as capable as the Warriors axes. The Eaglehorn would benefit early on by the use of snipe as two part combination to keep the board clear of minions. Misdirection would be good deterrent or a nasty surprise for a Watcher or Giant deck. And, for a class that is completely devoid of heals the Gladiator’s Longbow attack invulnerability is invaluable. Second the Hunters spot removal is second only to the Mage, is largely unconditional, and has legs enough to get you to late game.

If it already exists I’d be interested in a baseline to work from, though if it does I imagine it's entirely different from what I’m proposing. This is what I’m thinking.

http://www.hearthhead.com/deck=36216/bravery

This is of course entirely up in the air, and, subject to change. I could see Big Game Hunters in there for both practical and conveniently thematic reasons. I've only played one game against a Zoo Warlock and I won. It came down to the wire because of card draw something I've remedied in the current list. So I just thought I'd open this up to discussion: thoughts, concerns, criticisms, suggestions all is welcome.
Reply Quote
The Eaglehorn would benefit early on by the use of snipe as two part combination to keep the board clear of minions.

Snipe pretty much sucks. You'll feel dumb if it kills a loot hoarder and you'll feel even worse when it just pings off the divine shield on an argent squire.

Misdirection would be good deterrent or a nasty surprise for a Watcher or Giant deck.

Except that the sunfury protector will attack into it, not the giant.

the Gladiator’s Longbow attack invulnerability is invaluable

You also don't take damage when you hit something with a minion. I would almost always rather have an extra strong minion in my deck than a gladiator's longbow.

Second the Hunters spot removal is second only to the Mage, is largely unconditional

Deadly shot is conditional on the opponent having only 1 big minion. Hunter's mark is conditional on having a convenient way to ping off the remaining 1 damage. Multi shot is conditional on the opponent having 2 minions with 3 or less health. Unleash the doges is conditional on combo cards and the opponent having lots of minions. Kill command is conditional on having a beast on the field.

Hunter has some of the most conditional removal in the game, next to priest...
Edited by Shoogle on 3/28/2014 4:36 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Okay the ideas behind this are pulled in part from the secret deck I ran. The primary damage came from a combination of using the bows, and the, unfairly maligned, hero power. That’s why I’m running all four of them.

The premise behind the deck is to make sure the opponent doesn’t command the board. Yes snipe will sometimes be triggered by things that are weak and not ideal. Sometimes it may trigger something that is ideal. The same is true of Misdirection, do take into account no matter the creature I have a turn to remove the most undesirable trigger from the field. The point is how it plays out doesn’t really concern me. The durability stack to the bow is what I’m interested in. Secrets are gambles and sometimes they pay off sometimes they don’t. Whether they pay off big or not I still get what I was after.

How the removal kills a minion is situational, the cast upon said minion is not.

Hunters Mark - Target minion’s health becomes 1.
Arcane Shot - Target minion takes 2 damage
Deadly Shot - Destroys random minion
Kill Command - Target minion takes 3 or 5 damage
Explosive Shot - Target minion takes 5 damage adjacent minions take 2

Multi-Shot Is the situational spot removal that I was referring to when I said largely. I run kill command instead of it because more often then not I need to kill one minion instead of two.
Edited by Peripatetic on 3/28/2014 6:20 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Hunter mid-range/control is in fact a very viable and powerful deck and is slowly gaining in popularity. As far as secrets go, don't settle for the weak ones like Snipe and Misdirection and instead choose the more useful ones like Explosive Shot(amazing vs aggro decks), Freezing Trap(gains a lot of tempo) and Snake Trap(combos well with Buzzard and strengthens your board). You don't have to run 2 of each obviously but even 1 of each gives you plenty of secrets to confuse your opponent and make him play around the various possible secrets and hopefully make mistakes, also works extremely well with Eaglehorn Bow.

Hunter's removal, while conditional, can be easily handled/manipulated to great results. As a mid-range/control Hunter your main priority is to clear your opponent's board and you have plenty of single target and AoE tools for the job, giving you the ability to bypass Deadly Shot's RNG in a lot of situations and making it the cheapest unconditional(since you bypassed its condition, as in killed everything else beforehand) kill spell. Kill Command is simply an amazing spell, as a Hunter you have plenty of beasts to play with to meet this simply condition, and the fact that it can both target minions and your opponent makes it a very versatile spell, much like the Mage's Fireball just with 1 less damage(when you have a beast) and 1 less mana. Hunter's Mark requires you to be able to ping the target to finish it off, which isn't too hard when utilizing UTH or when using an otherwise unused card: Elven Archer. Arcane Shot is a solid removal for cheap minions and if you draw it late game you can combine it with hero power for a 4 damage spike to your opponent's face, so it's never a dead card. Multi Shot is a bit on the expensive side and counter intuitive when using UTH so it's up to you whether to use it or not. Personally I just run with Explosive Traps to combat aggro decks and stabilize, but you can run it if you want. Explosive Shot is simply too expensive for what it does, and Hunters have plenty of other AoE options to use in its place. Last but not least, UTH itself, especially in a mid-range/control deck as opposed to aggro, is basically a flexible removal spell. This is the main reason you don't need to focus too much on AoE clearing and still be able to maintain board dominance.

Now that secrets and removal have been covered, the last piece of the puzzle is your end game. As a Hunter your hero power already provides you with consistent unavoidable damage(as it bypasses taunts) which makes Hunter mid-range control decks faster than other classes'. It also means that you're less reliant on hard finishers like say Warrior control decks that strictly rely on their Alex into Grom combo to end the game. Still, you want to have some fatties to trade with opposing fatties(if against other mid-range/control decks) or to punch your opponent's face and speed the game up so he won't have a lot of time to pull off his Leeroy combo, FoN+SR, Bloodlust, etc, to finish you off first. King Krush is actually decent for this type of deck so if you happen to have him this is the only deck type I'd actually consider using him in. The usual legendaries like Cairne, Rag, etc also fit well obviously. I wouldn't use Sylvana nor Ysera as neither has a high enough impact Imho. Just make sure to not bring too many fatties as you don't want your hand to be clogged with fatties and nothing cheaper to actually be able to play. You also don't want to run too many non beast minions as Timber Wolf and Kill Command still use the beast synergy, Buzzard too of course but it's unlikely to survive for more than 1 round making him negligible for this specific clause. While not truly a fatty, Savannah Highmane is an excellent beast card for Hunters, much like Cairne and Harvest Golem it provides you with a lot of bang for your buck with its deathrattle summon 2 2/2 Hyenas.

Using the above mentioned value minions along with a few fatties and the obligatory Buzzard+Timber Wolf, maybe Animal Companion too should round your minion count nicely and put glue all the other parts of the deck together. Gladiator's Longbow can also be used to good effect if you feel you need more big single target removal, though I feel it's a bit too expensive compared to your other options and it's not like you're short on removal to begin with. So now you have some early minions for board presence of your own, single target and AoE removal for your opponent's board, fatties to finish the game and even some secrets to gain some tempo/board presence(Freezing and Snake Trap respectively) and confuse your opponent to hopefully force him into making bad plays.

A specific deck list wouldn't do you as much good as all these explanations as you should be constantly adapting your deck to the meta game at your current level. As long as you possess the understanding on how mid-range/control Hunters work, know what abilities your deck needs to have and have a solid understanding on how to judge card power in general than you should be able to create a good Hunter mid-range/control deck and make proper adjustments when needed.
Reply Quote
http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z328/Lt_Hargrove/Hearthstone/Hearthstone_Screenshot_3282014222016.png

This is what I am running currently at rank 17. I am thinking about removing jugglers and even UTH for 2 wild pyros and kill commands. I really like my spellbreakers, but they often dont do a lot and then there are the sea giants that would have to be dropped if I removed UTH from the deck. I also have mixed feelings about misdirection - sometimes it is insane, ie. smashing your opponent's face with an 8/8 or giving you a really nice 2 for 1 trade, but portrait grinders/"P2W" 5 legend deckers seem to play around it. I am not a fan of buzzard wombo combo - it is not reliable enough for my taste. I'd certainly run Crush and/or Rag if I had the money. I tested the longbow - it felt bad and too slow.

I will try to do a variant version based on my experiences and OwlRaider's post and report how will it go.
Reply Quote
http://imgur.com/yCUt5SW

this is my mid range deck that i run. im currently rank 4, and i would probably be higher if i played more

its focused around houndmaster/snapjaw/highmane to stabilize and leeroy/UTH for burst.

this deck is nice because it can function as aggro or pseudo control.

major fault is in lack of cycling and tracking.
Reply Quote
http://imgur.com/QheVZoj

I've been running this midrange Hunter deck from rank 19 to rank 6 currently. It's such a fun deck to play I haven't got bored of it yet. The stealth beasts (Panther + Tiger) are the engines of the deck. They provide guaranteed damage or removal, are fantastic Houndmaster targets and set up Kill Command combos nicely. Farseer is in because it's a key card for blocking aggro Hunters while providing a lot of useful utility in all match-ups. King Krush is in as a win condition if games go long. Most games with this deck don't go long enough for KK to make an appearance but he's still worth it as he'll single-handedly win you many close games on turn 9.

I do change the deck around quite a bit depending on the meta of my current rank. It used to be a lot more controlly but kept getting busted by Murlocs and aggro Hunters so I added the weapon, traps and Farseer in the place of extra removal.
Reply Quote
The sad irony of RNG you add a card an when you could really use it you don't have it. That said I see your point bout explosive trap, even though It was in my library when I needed it I at least had the hope I'd draw it.

Anyway thanks for all the help guys, especially OwlRaider as usual your post was exhaustively informative.

Fatties aren't really my problem. The truth is I'm moving away from the beast synergy of the Hunter deck. To be honest this deck is probably late game control now.

Minions
Faerie Dragon
Gadgetzan Auctioneer
Faceless Manipulator
Savannah Highmane
Gruul
King Krush

Spells
Hunters Mark
Arcane Shot
Explosive Trap
Freezing Trap
Animal Companion
Deadly Shot
Kill Command
Explosive Shot

Weapons
Eaglehorn Bow
Gladiator’s Longbow

The sad truth of good cards is you're never sure which ones to take out.

Originaly I was running Scavenging Hyenas and Houndmaster. However I thought Hyenas were like Berserkers and got buffed off of every death. Obviously in a low minion deck they didn't quite fit. The Houndmaster no longer fit as I couldn't justify him with Highmanes or Animal Companion alone.

The buzzard was proving to fragile to run, not to mention I didn't have enough beasts to justify it. So now I'm running the Gadgetzen which is admittedly very well suited to this playstyle.

I hate to say it but Faeire Dragons and Faceless Manipulators are probably not the best choice here. I can get to the late game easily but I need some early board presence so that I can better utilize my spells.
Reply Quote
So, this is the beast I ran with today:
http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z328/Lt_Hargrove/Hearthstone_Screenshot_3292014114402.png

I got to rank 15, my score is 7-3. I lost to a gimmicky buff paladin (BoK into Blessed Champion on a token, I should be embarassed), midrange nuke mage (My draws were a bit meh) and suprisingly another mid control hunter (Only minion I drew in 6 turns was a single savannah highmane, the rest were all spells). Feels a lot better than my old deck and people do not expect to DONT face UTH. I'd really like to have Crush.
Reply Quote
Yeah, that's certainly a pure control Hunter deck, which is similar to other non giants control decks. I'm guessing you're using Gruul and King Krush because they're the only legendaries you have available, King Krush is fine either way but Gruul doesn't really fit into the deck but he's still alright I guess if you got no other legendaries. How are the Hunter's Marks going for you? I'd think that they'd be much less useful without UTH to actually kill the minion you've reduced to 1 health, though I guess you can still combo it with Explosive Shot/Trap or use your Faerie Dragon/Eaglehorn Bow for the trade, though that's far from optimal. Speaking of which, how is Explosive Shot working for you? I can see it being more needed in your deck since you dropped UTH altogether so it's certainly a good alternative vs aggro, just wondering how useful it actually turns out to be because people at the higher ranks tend to play around UTH expecting every Hunter to have it.

My biggest concern with your deck is Gadgetzan Auctioneer, as you aren't running a lot of cheap spells to fully take advantage of it like Miracle Rogue, mid-range Druid, etc, nor do you have other mid sized minions to eat the removal first to let the Auctioneer live for more than 1 turn. Savannah Highmanes are terrible for drawing out removal unless they're silenced first, as using a removal on them only to get a couple of 2/2 Hyenas isn't the best use of your opponent's removal. So you have an Auctioneer and at most you can follow it up with a Hunter's Mark+Arcane Shot or something, which isn't too bad actually but again requires 3 specific cards, much like UTH+Buzzard+Timber Wolf. Without Hunter's Mark and Arcane Shot you'll get at most 1 card from the Auctioneer on the turn he's played and you'll have to delay him for a bit to get to at least 8 mana. Now, if he survives for over a turn than great, if you play him on turn 8 to eat removal so Gruul will be safer on turn 9 than that's also fine, but than it won't really function as a card drawing engine.

I never tried a Hunter deck without UTH, as I find it to be too powerful even for mid-range/control builds but I can see it working, so I'm mostly asking out of inexperience in this regard rather than as criticism. I can see your deck having 1 major advantage, if you can capitalize on it, which is that your opponent will constantly be on the lookout for UTH and plan his moves accordingly, thus not having UTH and actually having 6/8 more cards to play with(2 Buzzards, 2 UTH, 2 Timber Wolves and usually 1 of 2 Hyenas/Trackings) to give you a lot more options. Also thanks to your hero power and plentiful good removal options control Hunters aren't as reliant on card drawing as some other control decks out there, so Auctioneers might not be too bad, even if you can't get more than 1-2 cards out of them.
Reply Quote
Uhm... I dont have Crush or Gruul. I am F2P and my only legendary is Mukla.I run 2 Stranglehorn tigers instead. Yes, I had some problems triggering the auctioneers and I am going to test using one acolyte of pain instead. As you said in one of your previous posts, explosive shot is kinda too expensive for what it does and I can do some board clearing with pyromancers anyway.but I dont have a lot of direct removal outside of kill commands, though, and using them to clear the board is not ideal as I lack a finisher ( I have 20 dust now, it's a loooong way to King Crush).
Reply Quote
King Krush, as strange as this might sound is the reason I always play some manner of control in my Hunter decks. He’s not flashy, well his animation aside, but people always underestimate Charge. I can’t count the number of times I’ve snatched victory from defeat with him. If he were a neutral hero I guarantee he would be one of the premiums.

Hunters Mark and Explosive Shot are working for me. I've discovered Hunters Mark gives explosive shot a lot of flexibility in regards to board position and removal. I was playing a game yesterday against a mage with this board.

[Ragnaros] [Mirror Entity] [Mirror Entity]

I faceless manipulated Ragnaros, dropped hunters mark on him, and then explosive shot the middle Mirror Entity. I wiped the board and gave my self eight uncontested damage against my opponent.

I’ve always run Explosive Shot. I know it’s expensive, and unpopular, but I’ve never once regretted having it. Hunters Mark is situational but it is a godsend sometimes, also it’s the best way to deal with Ysera and Malygos.

Your right Owl, in this kind of deck card draw is unnecessary, because of UtH. The fear of UtH is allowing me to make highly efficient removal plays and take RNG out of the picturel. Visible removal, cobras, bows, and secrets, are hampering my opponents play options. Many turns I end up not playing a card. I simply attack my opponent with Steady Shot, minion, and my Bow. A bare minimum of eight damage.

Because of that I’ve made a few alterations to my deck.

I've added Big Game Hunter and removed Gadgetzan Auctioneer. When my opponent eventually have to go with the big guns, Big Game Hunter will be sitting in my hand waiting.

I've added the Emperor Cobra and removed Animal Companion. The Cobra: has no RNG, maintains the curve, is easy to field, kills everything, baits removal, and baits secret triggers.

Warrior control was the inspiration for this deck so why argue with it. I'm making a hunter version of their finisher with Alexstrasza and King Krush.

Since I'm not having trouble controlling the board I’ve switched misdirection back in. It couples very well with the Cobra in the late game. If my opponent plays a fatty I can play that combination. When their turn comes around they won't attack the cobra with their Fatty. They will probably go after me despite the Secret because it's worth the risk rather than letting me kill their fatty with my Cobra. They trigger misdirection there are to place to go. They can attack their hero, or they can rush to their death and attack my cobra. Either way I deal with there fatty when I may otherwise be low on removal, and I pick up a durability stack on my Eaglehorn Bow.

So this is where the deck is at now.

Minions
Faerie Dragon
Big Game Hunter
Emperor Cobra
Faceless Manipulator
Savannah Highmane
Alexstrasza
King Krush

Spells
Hunters Mark
Arcane Shot
Explosive Trap
Misdirection
Deadly Shot
Kill Command
Explosive Shot

Weapons
Eaglehorn Bow
Gladiator’s Longbow

2X on everything but Alexstrasza and King Krush. I know that most of the time one Faceless Manipulator is run, but he baits out removal, and can force a trade. The deck is already unusual to a fault why fight it!
Reply Quote
It's quite a funny experiment you ran there, seeing that Warriors and Hunters work in opposite ways. Warriors with their armor are all about stalling while Hunters with their Steady Shot are all about winning quickly. I see the similarities in the control decks obviously but due to the hero power differences, and the fact that control decks tend to use their hero powers a lot, Hunter control is still quite different from Warrior control. Warrior control just ignores their opponent's life total and only consistently clears their board while waiting for Alex+Grom to finish the game. Hunter control, even your version, consistently chips away at the opponent's life total with the hero power if nothing else, removing threats when needed and otherwise pushing in more and more damage until they win.

For this reason I really dislike Alexstrasza in a Hunter deck. By the time you can play her(turn 9 at the earliest) your opponent should already be at less than 15 health is not entirely dead. I also think you're running too few beasts to consistently enable Kill Command's 5 damage as opposed to 3. I'd either find room for more beasts or replace Kill Command with something else, as 3 mana for 3 damage is just bad. Moreover 2 Gladiator's Longbows is overkill, you should never run 2 of such an expensive weapon, especially when already having 2 cheaper ones(Eaglehorn Bow x2). I'd replace Alexstrasza, 1 Gladiator's Longbow and both Kill Commands with 2 mid sized minions, perhaps Chillwind Yeti and Stranglehorn Tiger, will probably get rid of the Faerie Dragons too for more mid-sized minions or more finishers/spells.
Reply Quote
03/31/2014 07:30 PMPosted by OwlRaider
It's quite a funny experiment you ran there, seeing that Warriors and Hunters work in opposite ways. Warriors with their armor are all about stalling while Hunters with their Steady Shot are all about winning quickly. I see the similarities in the control decks obviously but due to the hero power differences, and the fact that control decks tend to use their hero powers a lot, Hunter control is still quite different from Warrior control

I will admit these are somewhat unexpected results. Their execution is similar in regards to maintaining control of the board. However weapons don't factor in the same way due to the lack of Armor. On the up side that frees them up for dealing damage, it also offers flexibility if there are no other removal alternative. I guess the most obvious difference is you don’t need four legendaries to run it. That said I’m not having any trouble winning with this.

(Granted it’s not ranked but winning every game probably translates to winning over 50% in ranked up to a certain level I'm sure. If you’re wondering why I’m not playing ranked, I’m living in Thailand and my network is suspect all the time. I've had game drops, freezing to unfreeze three turns later, lag in card execution to the point where plays late in the turn don't happen. All in all I think that might be a little frustrating in ranked, also no mater how you look at it I won't get an accurate representation of my deck)

While conceptually Alexstrasza comboing with King Krush sounds good, you’re hypothesis is correct. By the time turn nine rolls around there is very little to gain if anything by playing her. I guess it comes down to Ragnaros or Ysera. It is nice that Ragnaros doesn’t compete with King Krush for the mana slot, though I have to wonder about how much of an issue that is. Yeser’s dream cards can come in handy if poor draws landed me in trouble late in the game. I guess it’s too early to find whether or not clear boards or trouble are my late game realities yet. I’ll have to try both of them and see if either has an advantage in this deck.

Kill command I run with the full understanding that nine times out of ten I will only get three damage out of it. I know that economy wise it’s a horrible play without beasts. What I’m more concerned with is having the removal. I know Multishot is a better choice but I’ve had plenty of experiences where I needed to kill a minion with three health and it was the only one on the board. An example seared into my mind was a Mana Wyrm that got completely out of control in a mage deck back in beta.

Faerie Dragons are wonderful because they can’t be targeted. So long as I keep the board clear, my enemy either needs a weapon, heroic sacrifice, or vaporize to get rid of it. I suppose AoE’s can clear it but that’s hardly cost effective not to mention their waiting for UtH.

As far as the longbow is concerned, I’ve been told the same thing about running two copies of Gorehowl in my Warrior deck. And, what happens I ended up using both copies, in both decks, multiple times yesterday.

I don’t mean to sound so defensive, and I do appreciate your thoughts; I’m keeping them for when my weaknesses are exposed. In the mean time, I’m going to test the flexibility and adaptive capabilities of the deck as it is. I need a clear picture of what works well and what doesn't.
Reply Quote
Don't get me wrong, I didn't criticize your concept, just found it amusing that a deck that contradicts itself in theory does actually work in practice, quite nicely too. I was only wondering about certain choices such as Alexstrasza and Kill Command without beasts rather than the deck as a whole. Could be interesting to try it myself if I ever get Ragnaros and King Krush from packs and take it to ranked, as I have no latency issues on neither the European nor American servers, until than I'm stuck with the more aggressive versions of Hunter, so aggro and mid-range only.

So I apologize if it sounded like I was bashing your deck, it wasn't my intention at all.
Reply Quote
04/04/2014 05:12 AMPosted by OwlRaider
Don't get me wrong, I didn't criticize your concept, just found it amusing that a deck that contradicts itself in theory does actually work in practice, quite nicely too.

I didn't take it as criticism or you bashing my deck. The points you raised are quite valid, and I'm of the opinion if you can't really explain a card choice you should probably rethink it. The only reason I mentioned sounding defensive was because I didn't want you to think I was pulling a three monkeys when it comes to my deck.

I do agree with you it's amusing.

What you said however does make me wonder if this deck could be done without the legendary bruisers. I doubt I could turn this into a pauper deck but a budget one certainly. I'll have to think on that.
Reply Quote
03/29/2014 03:49 AMPosted by SpeedStick
So, this is the beast I ran with today:
http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z328/Lt_Hargrove/Hearthstone_Screenshot_3292014114402.png

I got to rank 15, my score is 7-3. I lost to a gimmicky buff paladin (BoK into Blessed Champion on a token, I should be embarassed), midrange nuke mage (My draws were a bit meh) and suprisingly another mid control hunter (Only minion I drew in 6 turns was a single savannah highmane, the rest were all spells). Feels a lot better than my old deck and people do not expect to DONT face UTH. I'd really like to have Crush.

I have a deck VERY similar to this.

My minion pool is: 2x Wild Pyro, 2x Auctioneer, 2x Highmane, 2x Argent Commander, 2x Abomination.
My spells are 2 of each: Hunter's Mark, Flare, Arcane Shot, Explosive Trap, Freezing Trap, Misdirection, Kill Command, Deadly Shot, Explosive Shot
Then 2x Eaglehorn Bows.

I use Steady Shot like Warrior uses armor. You have to start pressuring your opponent to do something. I find Mid ranged control can be very successful if you start early with a little pressure and when you get to the mid game, finish off their attack and counter. Steady Shot provides that after 3-4 turns of popping you in the face. They think, I gotta do something about this or I'm going to just lose. Then when they do something you just pick them off one by one till it's time to counter. Auctioneer just sustains you late game. Drop Auctioneer, Arcane Shot, Trap on Turn 8 is 2 cards plus removal and defense. Plus a target which will either continue my counter attack or continue to provide me with cards.

I also have a build which uses UTH combo. Same strategy except UTH combo starts off my counter attack instead of a Wild Pyro or Abomination. Then I continue pressure with Bow, Highmane and Argent Commanders.
Reply Quote
03/28/2014 04:27 AMPosted by Shoogle
The Eaglehorn would benefit early on by the use of snipe as two part combination to keep the board clear of minions.

Snipe pretty much sucks. You'll feel dumb if it kills a loot hoarder and you'll feel even worse when it just pings off the divine shield on an argent squire.

Misdirection would be good deterrent or a nasty surprise for a Watcher or Giant deck.

Except that the sunfury protector will attack into it, not the giant.

the Gladiator’s Longbow attack invulnerability is invaluable

You also don't take damage when you hit something with a minion. I would almost always rather have an extra strong minion in my deck than a gladiator's longbow.

Second the Hunters spot removal is second only to the Mage, is largely unconditional

Deadly shot is conditional on the opponent having only 1 big minion. Hunter's mark is conditional on having a convenient way to ping off the remaining 1 damage. Multi shot is conditional on the opponent having 2 minions with 3 or less health. Unleash the doges is conditional on combo cards and the opponent having lots of minions. Kill command is conditional on having a beast on the field.

Hunter has some of the most conditional removal in the game, next to priest...

But its conditions you can control due to the fact that people are scared to lay minions down. They basically are a slave to your deck and how it plays.
Reply Quote
04/04/2014 10:57 AMPosted by Malice
But its conditions you can control due to the fact that people are scared to lay minions down. They basically are a slave to your deck and how it plays.

Yeah that was kind of the point I didn't put in the original post. Granted that was all theory, but has turned out to be very true.
Reply Quote
I'm not saying deadly shot is bad, I run 2x in my midrange hunter. But it's definitely conditional.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]