Druid vs general Control

I have been running a slow, ramp druid deck with some late game drops like ancient of war, ysera and cenarius.
Frequently I have been bumping more and more into some serious control decks like Warrior, Paladin and Warlock. I was wondering what are some general strategies that a druid can apply to favor a better result against these control deck?

I use Big Game Hunter and Mark of the Wild + The Black Knight as my only removal other than swipe and wrath.

I will list the common pitfalls hoping that you might mention something that I haven't considered.

- Don't overcommit on the board (Brawl, Equality, Pyromancer, Shadowflame)
- Maintain board control vs (more) passive decks

I thank you in advance!
Reply Quote
Maintain early and midgame control vs. them, try to burst them down with FoNRoar before it gets out of hand. There's not much Druid can really do vs. them once the legendaries+Giants start dropping turn after turn.
Edited by VSarius on 4/1/2014 11:20 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Rather than mentioning a specific combo can you generalize your response to avoid the likely hood that people don't run that combo.

For instance too much burst against a control warlock will allow them to drop molten giants for free and enable them with a taunt. In this scenario I always try to keep my board to a minimal don't drop them below 15 health until turn 7-8.

I hope I cleared up some of the confusion.
Reply Quote
04/01/2014 10:24 AMPosted by Hanzo
Rather than mentioning a specific combo can you generalize your response to avoid the likely hood that people don't run that combo.

For instance too much burst against a control warlock will allow them to drop molten giants for free and enable them with a taunt. In this scenario I always try to keep my board to a minimal don't drop them below 15 health until turn 7-8.

If you don't run the combo, you should run the combo. The Ramp Druid that Savjz is playing now seems to be a good alternative with the Wild Growths, you dump huge legendaries earlier than they can. I mean saying obvious things like "Don't use FoNRoar to do 14 damage and leave the Handlock at 1 life" is kind of silly to me.
Edited by VSarius on 4/1/2014 11:21 AM PDT
Reply Quote
04/01/2014 11:21 AMPosted by VSarius
04/01/2014 10:24 AMPosted by Hanzo

If you don't run the combo, you should run the combo. The Ramp Druid that Savjz is playing now seems to be a good alternative with the Wild Growths, you dump huge legendaries earlier than they can. I mean saying obvious things like "Don't use FoNRoar to do 14 damage and leave the Handlock at 1 life" is kind of silly to me.

I personally don't favor a savage roar force of nature combo. That topic can be discussed in another thread. However doing alot of burst damage can squeeze you the victory if they don't expect it.

I personally play a slow and steady druid, keeping most of my pseudo removals in my hand. I find it extremely difficult to remove threats with a druid class compared to other control decks. I tried playing an instance of Naturalize but it backfires often. So far I haven't come up with a better removal other than Big Game Hunter and Mark of the Wild + The Black Knight
Reply Quote
Currently at rank 4 in ladder, and I encounter warriors quite frequently.

As a ramp druid, I have a lot of big taunts in my deck: 2 DotC, 2 Sunwalkers, 2 Ancients of War. I find if I can get the initiative, the warrior will spend a turn clearing one. Then you drop the next, and they have to react to that. Eventually they run out of removal, and you should still have a legendary or two, as well as faceless; with luck, you'll also also have drawn BGH. Your remaining large minions and removal cards should be able to overcome the warrior at that point.

it works especially well if you can save a Keeper of the Grove to silence his acolyte of pain. Starving the warrior of any draw really helps the matchup.
Reply Quote
Thank you for your reply LunaSaint!

It would be great if you can have a good start by playing ramp on turn and follow up with a strong 4-drop. I have heard from other players and trump (our mayor of value town) that removing the armor on a warrior is very important. My question is how do you do that with a particular druid deck running the usual Druid of the Claw, Yeti, Keeper of the grove etc?

Another question is would you recommend having 2 instances of Ancient of lore and Ancient of war in your deck?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]