Warrior control is the only control

I've been sizing up the benefits each class has to offer when playing control and I'm having a hard time finding any reason why someone wouldn't choose a warrior if they want to play control style.

I feel that the warrior provides

superior burst, mainly their class legendary, but gorehowl is good too.

superior survivability
armoring up from their hero ability, cards which grant card draw, and armorsmith.

on par removal, with their weapons, brawl, shield slam, execute.

superior synergy, with acolyte of pain, frothing berserker, armor smith, and whirlwind, and shield slam.

with their weapons and low cost, but robust minions for the early game, survivability and removal for the midgame, and ability to put the hurt on in the late game I just can't see why someone would choose any other class but warrior for control, it seems to be a bit of a monopoly.

I know druids had their time in the sun, and now it's warriors turn, but other class just seem obsolete unless they resort to some kind of early to mid game rush.
Reply Quote
The cost to make a Warrior control deck is incredibly high so the majority of players don't have access to the cards needed to play control warrior.
Reply Quote
Warrior is a run-of-the-mill class for Control with the added benefit of having a great finisher when facing super-control like Priest-Giants Paladin. The reason it's popular now is because the Warrior class can easily survive the early and midgame against most classes with just about any kind of draw, it's consistent. Druid is even more consistent but actually makes for a terrible Control class since it loses to every other Control-deck.

The main issue with Warrior control is it has at most only 3-4 answers to huge threats. And one of those is inconsistent Brawl. Compare to Priest or Paladin with their built-in 4 removals (Aldor is basically hard removal when used on the correct target), and another 2 garnered from BGH (likely), and Equality can certainly remove two huge threats in certain match-ups.

Basically, Control Warrior is a good, expensive deck for a meta with a lot of aggro beatdown decks, if the meta has more and more Burst/Control decks, it becomes worse.
Reply Quote
@VSarius

The warrior has shield slam, execute, Gorehowl, Brawl, and most run a one of either Big Game Hunter and or The Black Knight....... Ive seen some running Spellbreaker which can answer many creatures such as Ysera, Tirion, and Twilight Drakes.... The Warrior has more options than you think
Reply Quote
04/01/2014 08:10 AMPosted by Kentuckycat
@VSarius

The warrior has shield slam, execute, Gorehowl, Brawl, and most run a one of either Big Game Hunter and or The Black Knight....... Ive seen some running Spellbreaker which can answer many creatures such as Ysera, Tirion, and Twilight Drakes.... The Warrior has more options than you think

Shield Slam is pretty effective in Control vs. Control, but it's just as often used to deal with an annoying midgame creature, the variability and conditional aspect of this card really doesn't make it a super-great removal option.

Brawl is RNG but yes, everyone runs at least 1. The card is great when it works out, but also conditional.

Gorehowl is good in finishing opponents off or dealing with mid-range decks, you aren't going to slam your face into a Ragnaros for example.

The rest of the options are available to every class and as such not Warrior-exclusive. It's a Control deck that's good vs. Druid, Aggro, and Midrange. It loses to other devoted Control decks if it doesn't draw it's expensive Finishing Combo. Believe me, I've played well over 2000 games of Control decks.
Reply Quote
The option to play with 0-1 minion on the board most of the time is really good against those pesky Huntard decks flooding rank 1-5 right now. I think that's a big part of why Control Warrior is so popular.

Of course, taking Handlock to exhaustion, and just as the Handlock thinks he's won it with Lord Jaraxxus, you snatch the game away with Deathwing drop doesn't hurt, either. That long pause as Jaraxxus stares across the board at Deathwing, frozen in disbelief to have certain victory turned into certain defeat, unable to press the "Next Turn" button...
Reply Quote
So I've been playing one of the typical warrior control builds with a couple of my own tweaks. Did well last season hovering between ranks 5 and 7. As another poster mentioned, most control builds area bit light on creatures. How do you guys deal with handlocks and creature swarms?

Against the locks it seems like I need a very specific draw as there is just not enough removal for 2 drakes and 4 giants

Against rush or zoo decks I seem to have a lot of trouble unless I pull my cheap creatures and a fiery war axe early.

How do you guys do against these decks and against other control matchups? Are you guys running silence effects as well? What finishers do you run other then alex and grommish?.

.Just trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong thanks for any feedback
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]