Baby's First Control Warrior deck: Update!

Update!: please check out post #12 to see the new, improved, and upgraded deck

So about two weeks ago, I opened an Alexstrasza. Since I really liked the idea of Warrior control, and also watching some of those matches play out in tournaments, I decided to make a budget warrior deck (only played for about 3 months). The only cards I had to craft for this were the berserkers. Everything else I ripped from packs. In just a little time I rocketed all the way up to Rank 10 just as the season is drawing to a close. But I was hoping that perhaps next season I could get even higher!

So, I come to you, my darling Warrior community. I've tweaked this deck a few times and want to know what I can do, as well as some of my own thoughts on what can stay/go:

2xExecute
2xWhirlwind
2xArmorsmith
1xCleave
1xCruel Taskmaster
2xFiery War Axe
1xIronbeak Owl
2xSlam
2xAcolyte of Pain
1xBig Game Hunter
2xFrothing Berserker
2xShield Block
1xArathi Weaponsmith
1xKor'kron Elite
1xMortal Strike
2xTwilight Drake
1xArcanite Reaper
1xBrawl
2xBoulderfist Ogre
1xAlexstrasza

So one thing I would like room for is an Ooze (for warriors and hunters), and a second Cleave (amazing against rush).
Twilight Drake is a hit-or-miss. Great as a 4/7 or so, which is what he normally drops as, but hurts SO HARD against silence, especially Earth Shock. Wondering if he should be Yetis instead. Or maybe 1xYeti and 1xDrake. Yetis are, essentially, immune to silence. Would the +1-3 health for the Drake be really worth it?
Obviously, Boulderfist is a placeholder for legendaries. Is there another/better creature I can use to put on late-game pressure?
Reaper is used as a finisher, but handy for control, since I have no Shield Slam or Gorehowl.
Kor'kron is used for control or late game bursts to wear them down. Would Argent Commander be better?

Clearly what I'm missing most is the parade of legendaries (but mostly Grom or Rag), as well as Shield Slam. But 1000+ dust is hard to come by...

Suggestions? Comments of your own? Is there something I can just clearly get rid of?
Edited by EcnoTheNeato on 4/17/2014 9:13 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I'm not a big expert... but if it were me I'd run Yetis or Azure Drakes instead of the Twilight drakes. Azures give you a card draw and also the +1 spell damage although they do cost 5 instead of 4 mana.
Reply Quote
Twilight Drake is pretty bad right now, Shamans are already the worst match-up for Control Warrior outside of Giants Paladin/my Control Priest. I'd probably pass on the Yeti's and have x2 Arathi, x2 Kor'Kron. I'd throw in a War Golem for !@#$'s and giggles in the lategame. Oh, and I'd add another Taskmasta.
Reply Quote
+1 Cruel Taskmaster, +1 Spellbreaker, + 2 Yeti, +2 Azure Drake

-1 Owl, -1 Weaponsmith, -1 Kor'Kron elite, -2 Twilight drake, -1 Mortal strike

Taskmaster needs to be a two of as it combo's with execute, Frothing, and Armorsmith as well as giving you an early body against the warlock aggro decks.

Spellbreaker gives you the same effect as the owl but adds more of a body to threaten your enemy more...In this deck waiting 2 turns usually isnt an issue

+2 Yeti and +2 Azure - Two of the best midrange creatures in the game....
Reply Quote
Thanks for the suggestions! I can't believe I didn't think to use a Spellbreaker instead of an Owl. I sometimes did that so I could play other things on that turn, but Silence is usually saved for "oh poop!" buffed minions, or a late-game big-drop creature. So the mana cost is inconsequential. Plus, Spellbreaker also survives a Whirlwind. Nothing worse than a silence+Whirlwind to kill a creature (like, say, a Twilight Drake), and my owl bites the dust.

Now, on to another question: What should be the next thing I craft? A Shield Slam or a Gorehowl? Shield Slam is nice because I often have a billion armor until they pull something really big that will start to eat it away. But Gorehowl is more expensive, yet MUCH more reliable removal.

Thoughts? Shield Slam or Gorehowl next?
Reply Quote
Gorehowl, it's more key to the core of the deck.
Reply Quote
04/01/2014 08:57 AMPosted by EcnoTheNeato
Thoughts? Shield Slam or Gorehowl next?

You're gonna get mixed opinions on that. I would go with Shield Slam for a couple of reasons. First of all you're running an armor ramp in you deck already; might as well take advantage of the stacks. Second Shield Slam is one of the best removal cards in the game. To give you an example I had three armor stacks and with a shield block and a Shield Slam i killed a Sea Giant for four mana. The great thing about Shield Slam is after you use it your armor stays intact.

Cards to cut.
1: Arathi Weaponsmith will kill your tempo don't play that card in a control deck.
2: Twilight Drake I know they sound great but Warrior draw is inconsistent.
3: Spellbreaker, cut this when you get SS and GH you won't need silence then.
4: Mortal Strike you won't be in many low health situations. It's poor value in control.

Cards to swap
1: Cruel Taskmaster (2X) > Arathi Weaponsmith
2: Sen'jin Shieldmaster (2X) > Twilight Drake (2X)
3: Cleave (2X) > Mortal Strike
4: Grom(1X) > Spellbreaker (1X)
5: Gorehowl (1X) > Arcanite Reaper (1X)

The Sen'jins are safety cards if you have couple of turns with bad draws. I run four legendaries in my deck and I still keep the Bouulderfists. By no means get rid of them the are vanilla cards that demand to be hexed, sheeped, hard controlled. You need them to bait out removal for you. You don't need four legendaries but you do need Grom and Alex

Your deck is in line with most control decks and is a good start. Here is mine it's atypical, and a lot of people hate my decisons, but I rarely lose with it. If you'd like an explanation on any of my choices feel free to ask. The important thing about control is that it does it's job, what you do it with isn't so important.

http://www.hearthhead.com/deck=35575/dauntless
Reply Quote
That deck is pretty decent Dauntless, the Onyxia and the second Gorehowl kill my Warrior !@#$% though. I'd love to hear the explanation.
Reply Quote
04/01/2014 11:08 PMPosted by VSarius
That deck is pretty decent Dauntless, the Onyxia and the second Gorehowl kill my Warrior !@#$% though. I'd love to hear the explanation.

Onyxia I don't really have an explanation for. I could tell you that the whelps tie up the opponent and call out board wipes, and that they are good for triggering secrets. But, to be honest I put her in there because I could. I guess I use her to root out potential problems and to force fatty trades. I managed to force a 3 to 1 trade a couple of days ago. I could almost hear my opponents heart break when I dropped Alex followed by Grom to ruin his day and he was out of responses by that point.

Gorehowl I thought that would be pretty self evident. I got sick of playing it on turn seven and getting oozed on turn eight. It also gives me flexibility if they aren't running ooze. The great thing about control is you can stack armor like it's nobodies business. If it doesn't get oozed from turn seven on Gorrash goes to work on their board. There is nothing more satisfying than killing an Boulderfist for no damage and one durability. This frees up the second Gorehowl to be the gap closer before I crit their face with Grom.

I'm pretty sure that's what you were asking for. If you mean the deck I can do that as well.
Reply Quote
04/02/2014 12:05 AMPosted by Peripatetic
04/01/2014 11:08 PMPosted by VSarius

Onyxia I don't really have an explanation for. I could tell you that the whelps tie up the opponent and call out board wipes, and that they are good for triggering secrets. But, to be honest I put her in there because I could. I guess I use her to root out potential problems and to force fatty trades. I managed to force a 3 to 1 trade a couple of days ago. I could almost hear my opponents heart break when I dropped Alex followed by Grom to ruin his day and he was out of responses by that point.

Gorehowl I thought that would be pretty self evident. I got sick of playing it on turn seven and getting oozed on turn eight. It also gives me flexibility if they aren't running ooze. The great thing about control is you can stack armor like it's nobodies business. If it doesn't get oozed from turn seven on Gorrash goes to work on their board. There is nothing more satisfying than killing an Boulderfist for no damage and one durability. This frees up the second Gorehowl to be the gap closer before I crit their face with Grom.

I'm pretty sure that's what you were asking for. If you mean the deck I can do that as well.

Nah, that's a solid explanation. I'm personally in the Brawl x2 over Gorehowl x2, or Harrison if you have him camp. I've tried out double Gores before and it was more often a dead, useless card than it was crucial. Maybe I've just gotten really good with baiting out Oozes (They always fall for the coin-Axe-hold).
Reply Quote
04/02/2014 01:08 PMPosted by VSarius
Nah, that's a solid explanation. I'm personally in the Brawl x2 over Gorehowl x2, or Harrison if you have him camp. I've tried out double Gores before and it was more often a dead, useless card than it was crucial. Maybe I've just gotten really good with baiting out Oozes (They always fall for the coin-Axe-hold).

That happens to me a lot too, but even if the ooze and Harrison didn't exist I'd still be running two Gorehowls. I understand about the dead card but frequency is also important. Not to mention if you've got the armor to spare three isn't a better removal card in the game.

I seem to be alone in the 2X Brawl 2X Gorehowl category.
Edited by Peripatetic on 4/3/2014 6:29 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Updated list below! After going through the ranks, I've zoomed to Rank 11 with adjustments here and there. Most notably, I opened up a Ysera AND a Faceless!

2xExecute
1xShield Slam
2xWhirlwind
2xArmorsmith
2xCruel Taskmaster
2xFiery War Axe
2xSlam
2xAcolyte of Pain
1xBig Game Hunter
2xFrothing Berserker
2xShield Block
2xSen'jin Shieldmasta
1xSpellbreaker
1xArcanite Reaper
1xBrawl
1xFaceless Manipulator
2xBoulderfist Ogre
1xAlexstrasza
1xYsera

After much hemming and hawing, and some acquired dust, I managed to craft an epic, and decided on Shield Slam. I also took out both Twilight Drakes and originally made them yetis. But with all the Face meta, I made them Sen'jins and haven't minded one bit!

Boulderfist is still a placeholder for Cairne and Rag. They help eat up fireballs, hexes, and polys while the dragons wait. Faceless is sorta the same thing, as it either ends up copying Ysera, Alex, an Ogre, or whatever big guy my opponent throws out there. And Reaper still sits there waiting for Gorehowl to be drawn...

The deck seems to be doing well, if I can get an armorsmith on board early, and some Frothings in the mid, I'm pretty cozy until the big boys show up.

But one thing I sorta miss is Cleave. For a while I actually ran TWO Cleaves and they did wonders to Zoo, Hunters, and general early to mid aggro. Is there anything I can subtract to squeeze one in, or is it not worth it, do you think? My Spellbreaker, for example, usually just waits in my hand for Ysera or Tirion to show up, or for a sudden "unfreeze" moment on a minion.

Any suggestions at all would be grand! Thanks, guys!
Reply Quote
Also, is it possible for me to squeeze an Ooze in here at all? Trap Hunter is annoying, though it seems to be on the way out in favor of the more mid-rangy Kolento Hunter (with no traps/weapons but with Highmanes and Houndmasters).

Again, it may not be worth it. What do you all think?
Reply Quote
Started playing warrior control this season - currently rank 8

I would definitely consider an ooze in there, not necessarily just for trap hunters, but most importantly for handlock, and control warrior as well. There are a few game where harrison jones is definitely the MVP (against Jax drawing 7 cards...) - and ooze is definitely a very good substitute for it, along with beefing up your early game slight bit - maybe replacing spellbreaker?

Since you are missing Baron Geddon, I would suggest replacing a taz dingo with an abomination. It provides a very nice AOE effect similar to Baron imo.

My deck is almost exactly the same as yours, except with your target replacement on the legendaries. I would say the next to craft legendary is definitely Gromm.
Edited by Varenza on 4/17/2014 10:55 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Not gonna lie, I can't count how many times I would have won if I had Gromm in this deck! Essentially we're either in a top-deck war or down to fatigue wars. Sometimes I win those, sometimes not. Gromm would ensure I win those every time o_O

But 1600 dust is indeed a very tall order!
Edited by EcnoTheNeato on 4/17/2014 11:08 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Grommash would be a fantastic addition, as it seems you are already well aware.

A second shield slam would also be great to add into this deck.. other than that it looks like a solid deck even on a budget.
Reply Quote
04/17/2014 09:13 PMPosted by EcnoTheNeato
But one thing I sorta miss is Cleave. For a while I actually ran TWO Cleaves and they did wonders to Zoo, Hunters, and general early to mid aggro. Is there anything I can subtract to squeeze one in, or is it not worth it, do you think?

I'm a rather untraditional Warrior Control player, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

You could swap the whirlwind for cleave. That's what I did but I went even further and hybridized my Control Warrior with midrange deck presence in the middle of my deck.

What I mean is this. I found zoo was often a problem for me and if I drew dead on removal I was toast, since my minions couldn't force trades. So I took the trigger cards out (AoP, FB, AS) and swapped in Harvest Golems, Kor'Krons, and Sen'jins. Kro'Krons do good damage, can work as a four damage nuke, and trade rather well. Harvest Golems are mosquitoes leave em alone and you'll really regret it. You've already taken my advice in Sen'jins and as you said you don't regret it so I don't need to make my case. This kind of build gave my deck the flexibility to hold on to some of my removal for the break point where Zoo ramps up.

The reason why I'm suggesting this is because since you're going the F2P route midrange with a control early game and late game might work in the mean time. Since so many games go down to fatigue it sounds like the fix is to swap the low damage triggers for more direct damage. It facilitates higher cost trades — and Kor'Krons trade about as well as Berserkers — and might actually give your Ogres more of a chance to go to work. I know that might compromise Alex in her traditional role but conversely you could use her in a heal capacity for yourself.

Regardless of what you chose you still need the second shield slam, and if you buy in craft Grom don't think twice about it. Either way your deck is shaping up very nicely.

Edit: I forgot to mention, Kor'Krons can do a lot of damage if mixed with a Cruel Taskmaster. They're far cry from Grom but six damage is six damage!
Edited by Peripatetic on 4/19/2014 7:11 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]