How do I beat Handlock as Watcher Druid

What usually happens is me trying to rush him down until I can finish him with spells or savage roar. However, if he pulls both molten giants, I can't really do much. I run BGH and no BK (would help a lot in this matchup), is there any other cards I can put in or ways I can play against Handlock to increase my chances of winning? Right now it seems like they are 60/40 against me.
Reply Quote
x2 BGH, or even x2 BGH x1 tBK. Just try to keep him at 15-17, and then FoNRoar for the whole chunk in one turn. You don't want him hovering at 10-13 life.
Reply Quote
This is a ridiculously imbalanced matchup, since Druid has no hard removals (really, Naturalize, who runs it?).

Running two BGHs on ladder, is kinda, uh. And really, not many have tBK.

Hopefully at some point Naturlize will give enemy 1 card draw, maybe then it can be tried.

You need 6 removals, minimum, and then whatever stupid legendaries the Lock is running:

- Silence will take care of the 2 Drakes
- Even if you have 2 BGHs and you pull them both, thats 2 Giants
- Assuming you even have a tBK, thats one more Giant (with argus/sunfury on it)

That still leaves another 8/8 or better Giant and all Legendaries the Lock is running.

Not to forget the Shadowflame nonsense, you need to face in the middle. And if he has Jaraxxus and/or heals... LeL.

Gluck with that.
Edited by Seolfor on 4/4/2014 1:09 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Try running 1BGH and 1faceless.
Reply Quote
Giants are actually the main reason I stopped playing the Watcher variant, Watcher is just stall stall stall and then win with the FoN-Roar burst but that just plays into the Warlock's hands since he can have the time to put down his 8/8s. Like others have said, you need 1 BGH, the 2 silence and maybe a faceless and just hope you can race him with burst since the Warlock has a better end game than you.

Or you can play the RAMP version or the Token version, IMHO those are superior to the Watcher Druid when it comes to this match up, the RAMP can go toe-to-toe late game and the Token can just overwhelm and burst down the Warlock before things go crazy.
Reply Quote
It depends on draws, for both sides.

Basically if you don't get an answer for the first drake and the first giant you'll lose.

There's not much you can do, Handlock kinda poops on Druid. One BGH is enough. The Black Knight. Maybe Sylvanas but I find her kinda slow. And he can silence her.

Kill him before it gets to late game. It's a 60 / 40 in the lock's favour imo so don't expect to win too often.
Edited by Marchenoir on 4/6/2014 7:50 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Handlock is not a good matchup against druid.
Reply Quote
I have been doing fairly decently against handlocks with my druid lately, though I do run very control heavy. 1 bgh, 1 faceless, 1 naturalize, 1 black knight, 2 starfall, 2 swipe, 2 keeper, 2 wrath, with thalnos and azure drakes to boost them and I can handle them reasonably well unless they get really good draw. Shamans are what I generally have bigger issues with. But shamans and giant locks are still definetily the toughest match ups.
Reply Quote
I'm also having issue with handlock...I run 1 BGH 2 Wraths 2 Swipes 1 Iron Bark, 1 Starfall, 1 Azure Drake, 1 Carine...

I am usually able to take out 2-3 Giants around 8-9 round via trades & spells/ BGH...but then I just run out as they bring out the other 2 Giants and usually Rag..

It almost feels impossible to defeat...
Edited by Wrathian on 4/9/2014 7:46 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Some opposing point of view as a handlock. Problem is, you have way too many tools to deal with regular 2-3 drops, which basically denies us of any attempt at board control with 1-2-3 drops thanks to claw, keeper of the grove, swipe, wrath, druid of the claw. 1-2-3 drops are basically cannon fodder for you.

If the meta will shift towards more BGH with black night, i will probably have to add a couple of boulderfist ogres to my deck.
Reply Quote
IMHO - there are few tricks to beating a handlock.

1) Retain your silence (KotG) until the drake appears.

Use it and eliminate easily.

2) The giant drops from next turn - this will likely be turn 5/6 - this should be removed using FoN and a lowbie minion.

3) By this time the warlock should be below 20 health. The key now is to constantly keep hitting him on face. The next three giants if Argus'd need to silenced - use Savage roar and lowbies to finish.
Reply Quote
2x BGH but 1 +1 small panda is also enough.
1x BGH u should use anyway
Use 1x faceless it rly helps ...they play MG turn 4...you copy it turn 5 is a semi answer if you dont have BGH.
1x/2x Mark- no needed for black knight they ll make em taunts anyway.
Never drop em below 18-20 hp before lets say both MG are used and lock cant shadowflame your whole board (they still can with leeroy so dont overcommit to a board) easily
Always keep your KoTG for silence.
Handlock can be very helpless after 2 MG and drakes if they still high HP and cant play molten giants ...u can trade board all day long and prepare for 1 turn kill.
Facking troll them and use fareseers and even Lore to heal them ;D
Edited by Prototype on 4/13/2014 10:26 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Watcher druid isn't that good vs handlocks. Druid mid/late agro deck is very good against it though. Force of nature is a big threat since handlocks require huge amount of HP loss. The enemy will aware of this card since they probably lose to it not just once. I got force of nature in my deck and when I got savage roar in my hand, that is 14 damage which is a huge amount on a handlock and can go further beyond that damage if you got other minions on the board. Sometimes it is not as successful when they play molten giant than sunfury protector to make it a taunt so I added black knight in my deck. Most handlocks have taunts. It's like 60/40 chance to beat them. It's all up to your draws. Got two power of the wild because of their amazing utility. Can use it to summon a 3/2 or use it to boost the attack of your minions which helps force of the nature as a finishing move. This deck is almost OTK when you have at least 3 powerful minions with force of nature and bluffs. Downside is that it is weak vs agrro warlocks. When this deck gain board control vs non agro/handlock decks, your opponent is in huge trouble when force of nature and my bluff spell is played. Huge amount of damage dealing.
Edited by Kimuto on 4/13/2014 2:42 PM PDT
Reply Quote
TBK helps.

2x BGH hurts your other match-ups IMO.

I think you can definitely tweak your deck to be even or better against Handlock, but it's kinda similar to Shamans trying to counter Hunters: hurts your other match-ups too much to be worth it. So I would just accept it as a bad match-up. You know, control Warrior struggles against Zoolock and just loses against control Paladin. Warlocks and Shamans struggle against Hunters. Hunters struggle against Warrior, Druids and Paladin. All the top decks have some sort of weakness. If Watcher Druid struggles against Handlock? So be it.
Reply Quote
04/17/2014 11:14 PMPosted by dyDrawer
TBK helps.

I think you can definitely tweak your deck to be even or better against Handlock, but it's kinda similar to Shamans trying to counter Hunters: hurts your other match-ups too much to be worth it. So I would just accept it as a bad match-up. You know, control Warrior struggles against Zoolock and just loses against control Paladin. Warlocks and Shamans struggle against Hunters. Hunters struggle against Warrior, Druids and Paladin. All the top decks have some sort of weakness. If Watcher Druid struggles against Handlock? So be it.

I agree, but Hunter destroys any kind of Warrior.
Edited by Marchenoir on 4/18/2014 10:06 AM PDT
Reply Quote
04/18/2014 10:06 AMPosted by Marchenoir
04/17/2014 11:14 PMPosted by dyDrawer
TBK helps.

I agree, but Hunter destroys any kind of Warrior.

I don't think so. Warrior has a 56.29% win rate against Hunter in the latest Hearthstat report. Warrior doesn't usually put enough minions on the board for Hunters to pull off a crazy UTH, and they have crazy life regen with Armorsmith, Shield Block and Hero Power.
Reply Quote
I'm currently running watcher druid aswell and I beat everything but giant locks... it is sad the way they pull out 8/8s by turn 5. Myself havn't found out a way to beat these, yesterday I was farmed from rank 9 back to 11 by coolio386 or smt. Hopefully Naturalize will be viabilized at some point, untill then I'll just forfeit to the giant deck.
Reply Quote
04/20/2014 08:38 AMPosted by Sannsa
I'm currently running watcher druid aswell and I beat everything but giant locks... it is sad the way they pull out 8/8s by turn 5. Myself havn't found out a way to beat these, yesterday I was farmed from rank 9 back to 11 by coolio386 or smt. Hopefully Naturalize will be viabilized at some point, untill then I'll just forfeit to the giant deck.

Naturalize is already viable stop whining. In fact, the other day a dr00d beated me, because of Naturalize.
Reply Quote
Actually Naturalize isnt that bad in that matchup. Use it only when the warlock has 9 cards or more OR when its time for roar/FoN and you need to take out that taunted giant.
Reply Quote
Smash their drake/mountain giant taunts & burst before they get their moltens out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqiOidBm-AE
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]