Druid mismatched against Paladins?

I have a lot of difficulty dealing with Paladins these days.

Somehow they have a lot of momentum in the start of the game

Examples:

1) Divine Shield minions
2) Equality
3) Truesilver Champion
4) Divine Favor for even more draws

By turn 5-7 most games against paladin are finished.

Anyone else have this issue? What are potential counters?
Edited by K2Wolf on 4/2/2014 6:49 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I keep a Swamp Ooze in my deck to deal with weapons. The other stuff....Wrath/Swipe/Hero power help with Divine Shield though regardless it's still a pain and it sucks to potentially use those sub-optimally just to get rid of the shields. Equality has no defense other than to limit your minions out on the board (though that can be troublesome since Paladins tend to get a bunch of minions in play). Divine Favor all you can do is hope that they don't have it in hand when you have a bunch more cards than them.

I agree with you though that Paladins are a pain. They can get going pretty fast and still have plenty of punch later in the game.

If only more people would play Rogue, I tend to whip them pretty easily...
Reply Quote
What sort of Paladin are you having trouble against? Control/mid ranging Paladins are pretty different from aggro Paladins.

IMO aggro Paladin is along one of the easiest versions of aggro to stop. Paladin aggro relies on pulling off strong Divine Favors, so if you just keep up in tempo, he should run out of steam pretty fast. You can afford to trade early game minion value for tempo, as your higher mana curve should be able to crush him as game drags on.

Control Paladin is actually a very strong deck. It's weak to aggro but that's hardly a problem against Druids. I'd say it's a 50-50 fight as long as you avoid over committing against Equality combos.

I'd say Druid's toughest match-up is Handlock, followed by mid range Shaman. Against everything else Druid is at least even.
Reply Quote
04/04/2014 03:31 PMPosted by dyDrawer
What sort of Paladin are you having trouble against? Control/mid ranging Paladins are pretty different from aggro Paladins.

IMO aggro Paladin is along one of the easiest versions of aggro to stop. Paladin aggro relies on pulling off strong Divine Favors, so if you just keep up in tempo, he should run out of steam pretty fast. You can afford to trade early game minion value for tempo, as your higher mana curve should be able to crush him as game drags on.

Control Paladin is actually a very strong deck. It's weak to aggro but that's hardly a problem against Druids. I'd say it's a 50-50 fight as long as you avoid over committing against Equality combos.

I'd say Druid's toughest match-up is Handlock, followed by mid range Shaman. Against everything else Druid is at least even.

Giants Paladin is the worst match-up for Druid, the deck is actually impossible to beat. Druid has issues with the ~5 large threats (7 with Twilight Drakes) of Handlock, Giants Paladin runs anywhere from 10 to 12 huge threats counting the Drakes.
Edited by VSarius on 4/6/2014 6:08 AM PDT
Reply Quote
It helps a lot against Suicide Aggro Paladins and Value Aggro/Mid-range Paladins to be running Wild Pyromancers of your own. The damage comes in waves, which wrecks Divine Shield. When you can wreck their board consistently with 2x Pyro and 2x Swipe, they run out of Equality to deal with your big Taunts quickly. If you keep on running into them at your range, then you can always sub in some Bloodknights.
Reply Quote
I actually have trouble against Divine shield paladins.

They zerg the field with DS minions and protect them with the noble sacrifice. The result is that by turn 4 -5 I'm down to like 15 health and no minions on the board due to the Truesilver Champion.

Pretty depressing.
Reply Quote
Try a bloodknight in your hand.
Reply Quote
What type of deck are you running? If you do tokens (Violet Teacher, Imp Master), that would help you ping Divine Shields off.
Reply Quote
Bloodknight counters divine shield paladins.
They have to either do unfavorable trades, waste equality, waste aldor (still leaving me with an anti-divine shield mob on the field), etc.

I also run 2 pyromancers in my deck (to help counter against murlocs & aggro paladins)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]