Deck Comp Help

Hey all, I know warrior control decks are really popular right now, but the truth is I've actually rarely played the other classes. This deck is seriously what I've been playing for months. This isn't another FOTM control Warrior thread. I just need some help fine-tuning it. Obviously I've done a bit of research and tweaked it to my personal tastes.

I haven't spent any money on the game thus far, everything I have is what I've earned from playing since I first got into one of the earlier waves of the beta. Anyway, here we go...

1x Shield Slam
2x Execute
2x Whirlwind
2x Fiery War Axe
2x Slam
2x Armorsmith
2x Cruel Taskmaster
2x Shield Block
2x Acolyte of Pain
2x Frothing Berserker
2x Arathi Weaponsmith
2x Defender of Argus
1x Brawl
2x Argent Commander
1x Gorehowl
1x Grommash Hellscream
1x Ragnaros The Firelord
1x Alexstrasza

I can win maybe 70% of the time, but late-game Priest decks and Murloc Pally decks just wreck me. They either steal control of my finishers, or they overwhelm the board after I've used my board clearers.

I do have a few other cards I could switch out, like Sylvanas, Gruul or Gadgetzan Auctioneer, but yeah, I don't have a lot of the higher end cards other than those and what's already in my deck.... I think The Arathi Weaponsmith is probably the weakest link in my deck, but I dunno what I'd switch it out for. Spellbreaker, maybe? But then I'd be losing my 2/2 weapons. Anyway, name a card, and I'll see if I have it.

Thanks in advance.
Reply Quote
Weaponsmith is a tempo killer in Warrior Control, Kor'Krons aren't bad but I'd see how you get on with Harvest Golems first.
Reply Quote
Yeah, I've switched the Weaponsmith out. I tried both the Spellbreaker and Harvest Golem, and either one works out better in the long run. However, do you think this deck is good enough to get to a high level in Ranked? I played for several hours last night and stalled out around rank 13. After several hours of winning almost exactly 50% of the games, I felt like I was spinning my wheels. I was going up against almost entirely Hunters, who basically ignore me entirely until turn 7-8 with Buzzards and Unleash the Hounds, which I always saved Whirlwind for, but it gave them such a huge draw advantage in that one turn that I'd inevitably just lose 5-8 turns later when I ran out of minions.

Any advice?
Edited by Frost on 4/3/2014 2:55 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I couldn't really tell you when it comes to ranked. I live in Thailand right now and my network frequently drops me, times out, or lags me into three turns in the figure. It's enough of a problem to where I couldn't take ranked seriously.

As far as your issues go I had the same problems with Control. I drastically changed my deck and ignored the advice of many people and the results have improved. The big problem is if you get RNG screwed out of removal our deck tanks fast. The typical minions have next to no presence. As such I dropped trigger cards all together. I find between Slam and Shield Block I don't miss out on armor or card draw that much. I also find Kor'Kron Elite's tend to trade better than Frothing Berserkers. He's a link to my deck. I don't make any promises, because I don't know, but it might be worth a shot if you've stalled out.

http://www.hearthhead.com/deck=35575/dauntless
Reply Quote
Looks solid, thanks. I don't have Onyxia, but I can probably use Gruul in that slot until I can get her. I'll definitely give this a try.
Reply Quote
I run a pretty well "loaded" warrior control deck and I'm beating Hunters at about a 70% rate. I hate to admit it (because everyone says they're the worst) but Priests have been owning me. Against Hunters I just try to mulligan for Fiery War Axe and Slam. I just focus on killing whatever they put out without leaving more than one and definitely not more than 2 minions of my own. Just keep armoring up and keeping the board clear. Once the game gets to turn 6 or 7 it's basically over. Seriously... don't have more than one minion on the board. They could of course do the Leeroy, UTH combo... but you should have plenty of health to overcome that.
Reply Quote
04/03/2014 03:33 AMPosted by Frost
Looks solid, thanks. I don't have Onyxia, but I can probably use Gruul in that slot until I can get her. I'll definitely give this a try.

You don't need to invest in Ony, Gruul will be just fine. She is just a body to eat removal, I use her instead of Gruul because her whelps can bait out aoe for me as well. Not that it matters too much when the next two turns are Alexstrasza and Grom. That said thinning out my opponents hand helps me make better choices especially if I thin them into top decking.
Edited by Peripatetic on 4/3/2014 6:39 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]