Thalnos - underwhelming :(

MID RANGE SHAMAN DECK.

Well I just got enough dust today to buy Thalnos, and I must say he doesn't feel that great.

In about 10 games I played, I only used his +SP effectively once (with lightning storm, to boost it to 4-5, where the minion was at 4 health, so it went from a 50% chance to 100% chance to kill).

Other times, he just sat in my hand.

When I had no nuke spells in hand (lightning bolt, lightning storm, lava burst, earth shock) and I was top decking, I wasn't really sure whether to just throw him on the board and draw a card off him, or whether to keep him in hand in case a nuke spell came up. (?).

Eventually if I used a lot of my nukes already I would just throw him on the board to die. Is that what everyone else does?

In any case he is a bit underwhelming (imo) and not so reliable to draw when I need him (since there's only one of him) and so I'm wondering if I should take another card instead, like wind fury or ancestral spirit.

Perhaps a second lightning bolt would even be better than thalnos? (only have one).

Other legendaries in my deck are Cairne and Al'Akir.

My draw cards are 2x mana totem and 2x azure drake.

Zug Zug,
Farq
Edited by FarqTheOrc on 4/4/2014 2:11 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I'm actually the same, it might be stupid to say this but I'd never craft Thalnos he doesn't seem as necessary in a Shaman deck since you can get the effects with either a loot hoarder or the 2 cost SP. Sure Thalnos combines the 2 abilities, but at only 1/1 he doesn't trade with 2 health minions, so while does draw you a card all it is doing is evening out with the card that killed it, compared to say Loot Hoarder that trades with the opponent 3/2 minion and still gets you a card. I just tried him out since everyone seems to swear by him and I pulled him in a pack, but so far it's just meh.

Anyway IMHO yo should always have the 6 1 cost spells no matter what (2 LB, 2 rockbiter, 2 earthshock) regardless of what you do with Thalnos you should add another lightning bolt in your deck.
Reply Quote
I understand, but honestly when he is good, he is great.

Up to you! I never feel too sad to have him around in my Shaman deck, but I do understand your dilemmas.
Reply Quote
Eh, he's practically Loot Hoarder & Kobold Geomancer wrapped into one card with lower stats. Hard to complain about that, it's still insane value for 2 Mana minion.

If you can't find other use for it just treat it as surefire Air Wrath Totem, you'll feel a lot more comfortable stabilizing rushdown with LS when you've got Thalnos sitting in your hand. All the better if you got Azure or Air Wrath on board, now your LS is guaranteed Flamestrike.

04/04/2014 01:57 PMPosted by FarqTheOrc

In any case he is a bit underwhelming (imo) and not so reliable to draw when I need him (since there's only one of him) and so I'm wondering if I should take another card instead, like wind fury or ancestral spirit.

Perhaps a second lightning bolt would even be better than thalnos? (only have one).

Other legendaries in my deck are Cairne and Al'Akir.

My draw cards are 2x mana totem and 2x azure drake.

How many spells you've got in your deck?
Depending on number of spells you might wanna opt 1 Mana Tide for 1 Auctioneer.

Or maybe even Acolyte if you're playing minion heavy deck, it's much better than MT if you're pressured into playing something on empty board (they're both 3 Mana & 3 Health drops, if they get War Axe'd or Frostbolted it's the same outcome in terms of cards drawn) and it can potentially trade with 1-2 drop minions for extra value.
If you manage to quell Paladin from summoning Recruits (or another Shaman from rolling Searing Totems) that's not a bad thing either.

It's not strictly better than Mana Tide, but it doesn't get completely neutered by Silence (it's still buff-able minion) and it's got more flexibility... especially if you manage keep it alive with Healing Totem for few turns :)
Reply Quote
POOR FARC! I agree with you though. If im gonna have + spell damage and or draw a card. The minion needs to be a bit beefy.

Sorry you spent hard earned CP's on a Thalnos. You would get much more use with Azures, Gnomish Inventors. As far as shamans and legendaries go. Hogger, Illidian, and Leeroy FTW!
Reply Quote
Hogger and Illidian are very interesting choices. Are you serious with that suggestion, or are you just joking around?
Reply Quote
04/06/2014 05:10 AMPosted by FarqTheOrc
Hogger and Illidian are very interesting choices. Are you serious with that suggestion, or are you just joking around?
It would depend on your play style. Considering the current meta, Illidian and Hogger are great choices! I cannot say how many times Illidian overwhelmed a opponent. Or Hogger summoned that one taunt that was truly needed.

You have to consider, those players who use a rag, usually only get it out after they maintain board control. Which means they will win anyways. While a card like hogger can switch control. Both Illidian and Hogger work great against zoo/aggro decks. How many of those have you seen?
Reply Quote
I've seen Hogger only once and he sucked a premium removal out of my hand (lava burst) and I had to trade for the taunt.

Plus the "oo oo oo" is really awesome.
Reply Quote
04/04/2014 01:57 PMPosted by FarqTheOrc
Well I just got enough dust today to buy Thalnos, and I must say he doesn't feel that great.

I think you got the wrong idea about Thalnos, and I think it's understandable seeing how people view legendaries in general. Thalnos is not a play-to-win card, you don't put him in a deck like other legendaries so that he can do wonders, like Ysera or Rag or BK for example.

Thalnos is there when a deck needs spell damage and/or card draw cards. Most if not all decks requires certain amount of card draw, Thalnos is one of the best there is in terms of value. Think of it like when a deck requires you to bring Gnomish Inventor or Loot Hoarder, you bring Thalnos instead since he has more value than either of those cards.

Thalnos imo is already one of the best legendary right now in terms of value, if he was a 1/2 he'd be downright OP.
Reply Quote
I think your problem is how your using your SP minion. Most of them you dont want to use as soon as mp allows because SP minions tend to have lower stats than counterparts. As such if your not going to take advantage of the SP then it would have been better to do the counterpart neutral instead.

Think of SP minions as combo cards. You rarely want to play them without playing a spell that turn. They all act as lures because SP can wreck games especially if you start stacking them then you own board and it gets out of control and your earth shocks are wrecking medium minions for 3 damage shots. You can play your sp minions as lures to so the next turn you can play something more threatening. Ive done this some times but I dont often just through out even azure drake if I cant play a damage spell that turn unless im owning board or need to lure or need something on board. Azure still does not survive long generally. I may play azure as medium lure then after they uses resources to kill it play fire elemental. Fire elemental as big lure and after they use resources to kill it ill play earth elemental and hopefully with 2 lures in a row they have used some damage spells, buffs or disables and can play it more safely.

Also consider what car draw does. Its trading tempo for the future of what those additional cards may provide later. Blood mage and azure are unique in that they can provide that card draw and potential tempo with SP in the same turn. That is why both are so powerful.

I have a very hard time justifying bloodmage played turn 2 even if nothing on boards. It will probably eat a low damage spell for 1-2 mp and net you 1 card on top of the 1 used to kill it. If they have a minion on board it probably wont kill it and end up dealing 1 damage and thats it. 1 damage done to waste your turn 2. Not worth it. The card replaced with a draw for an unknown card. Not worth it. Azure drake gets on the card on play which means if played turn 6-8 any damage spell a shaman has is playable along with it even if you just drew it from the drake. Turn 5 azure dying means no Sp value for shaman and it just traded at best 1 spell/minion for it self and got the card draw for it but wasted your turn for maybe 1 card ahead. Probably not worth it. Use SP cards with Spell damage cards 80% of the time. Think of them as 1/2 of the combo for spells.
Reply Quote
personally i wouldn't go out of my way to craft him. that being said, it is an awesome card that fits in a wide variety of decks.

you definitely want to play him as a combo as often as possible. if nothing else he might draw a removal and you get a card regardless.
Reply Quote
I find the flame tongue and mana tide are better for drawing removal, since 1 health can often be handled by a hero ability anyways, yet 3 health requires a card.

In the end I put Mister Thalnos in my mage deck and am saving to buy Black Knight.

(whenever the damned servers come up again, couldn't log in all last night...)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]