Tone down Sword of Justice

Seriously it's crazy to get 5 +1/+1 counters and it act like a weapon if need be for 3 mana. This card, especially in arena format, just makes it hard to keep up with the paladin early game unless you have some sort of weapon removal. Reduce it's durability, or make it only affect creatures under a certain health or something. Coupled with this. a 1/1 from hero, and a blessing of kings, you can have a 6/6 to deal with.
Reply Quote
It causes loss of tempo if played early. SIimes & indie are already popular. save them?
Reply Quote
It's a pretty bad card honestly. If you are playing aggro, you can't skip so-to-speak turn 3.
If you use it later, like on turn 4 with a 1-drop, you're getting maybe a 3/2 or a 2/2, the next turn Harrison is a risk and the game should be mostly over by turn 6. In other cases, you need to Consecrate or Truesilver on 4. So now SoJ is possible a turn 6 play, so you're looking at maybe 2, 3 charges used before the end. SoJ is good on either turn 2 w/ Coin or turn 5-6.
Reply Quote
I don't think it is OP as it can be removed. Also, like VSarius stated, at 3 mana, it's kind of hard to place it.

Reply Quote
Using it early means skipping a turn, using it late makes too small a difference.
I think its a pretty ok weapon. But half the paladin community doesnt even use SoJ, which should hint that its not as good as you want to think it is.
People always complain about the 1/1 buff, but what about other weapons like eaglehorn that if played right can stay active forever, or gorehowl that is a 7mana 7turn weapon with insane dmg value.
Edited by Creus on 4/5/2014 7:47 AM PDT
Reply Quote
It's a tempo swing card that causes you to lose tempo on the turn you play it. It is like investing in a strong board for the next few turns. It is very balanced, even slightly underpowered (All weapon-based strategies are, because Ooze exists).
Reply Quote
My favorite opener right now is when I can turn 1 Argent Squire, turn 2 coin/SoJ. You don't lose tempo because it hasn't really been set yet and it makes the 3/4/5 mana minions on the next few turns that much better.
Reply Quote
04/28/2014 02:57 PMPosted by Tyraeneus
My favorite opener right now is when I can turn 1 Argent Squire, turn 2 coin/SoJ. You don't lose tempo because it hasn't really been set yet and it makes the 3/4/5 mana minions on the next few turns that much better.

A great start.. if you happen to draw into it.. and they don't ooze it the following turn. IMO its almost a dead card in the current meta, because it is a slow card. One attack damage isn't much and you need minions to follow it up. You do usually lose tempo and board control by playing it, Truesilver Champion is the better weapon.
Reply Quote
It is a very well balanced card. Unique effect, playable in certain decks but not in others. Great design, definitely doesn't need changing. A buff would make it OP, a nerf would make it unplayable, it is precisely in the sweet spot.
Reply Quote
I found it a huge risk to even play it unless I can use all 5 charges quickly. And that doesn't happen. Play it too early and you lose tempo and it costs you the game if they have ooze. Play it mid game and you risk a Jones and a +4/5 for your opponent. And late game there are MUCH better plays to be made.
Reply Quote
I love my swords, yes it is a tempo loss unless coined early but it's a great tool. Think of it like a lights justice + buffer in 1 and you can't go wrong.
I consider it essential against mages as it bumps up recruits to a level where they ahve to spend a coin or a creature to remove it.
Reply Quote
It's incredible in arena but in constructed it's merely very good. Against aggro it's balanced by being slow - a deck like zoo will punish you hard for spending a turn playing no minions, so SoJ has a lot of work to do to make up for that lost tempo. While it's excellent value against control, it is midrange paladin's way of evening the odds against control decks. Every good midrange deck has cards like this, whether it's shaman's hex, hunter's hunter's mark, druid's ancient of lore... If it wasn't for cards like this, midrange would not be a viable deck archetype. In the same way, if the huge lategame minions like rag were not so strong, there would be no reason to play control over midrange. It's all part of how the game is balanced.

TL;DR sword of justice is balanced and working as intended as far as I can tell. If you don't like it, run ooze. If you REALLY hate it, play jones.
Reply Quote
It's completely overpowered in arena. Sometimes you get something to kill a weapon, but most times you do not. And you have to be able to draw it when you need it. But you're basically turning most small creatures into drops worth 1 mana more. A paladin can easily consecrate you small creatures and leave you with nothing while his army is large due to one card. It's basically 3 mana for something they can use to kill a 1 health minion or make their creatures bigger. Make it like gorehowl, and if they attack something with it, it breaks.
Reply Quote
04/28/2014 07:19 PMPosted by Stux
It is a very well balanced card. Unique effect, playable in certain decks but not in others. Great design, definitely doesn't need changing. A buff would make it OP, a nerf would make it unplayable, it is precisely in the sweet spot.

This.

Also, attacking with it damages your hero, which only happens when things can get critical. If anything, it should be 1/4 and reduced to 2 mana cost.
But I agree it's very balanced card, one of the few in this game.
Edited by aiDen on 5/5/2014 9:24 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]