Priest Help

I play a late-ish game Druid deck, and I'm having a bunch of trouble against Priests...

My instinct says, don't play any big minions after turn...8... But I'm not sure how to win without getting the big guys out there!

Any advice?
Reply Quote
I can beat priest but it's a different druid deck. I use watcher druid deck and beat them most of the time. This deck also a good counter versus the meta aggro decks.
Edited by Kimuto on 4/6/2014 1:16 AM PDT
Reply Quote
May I ask what your general strategy is?

Don't have to reveal all your secrets, but I'm just curious how everyone goes about playing them.

Do you swarm the board with minions? Do you put up taunts early and often? Do you use removal spells in early, mid, or late game?

Things like that.
Reply Quote
04/06/2014 07:31 AMPosted by DMancuso

Don't have to reveal all your secrets, but I'm just curious how everyone goes about playing them.

Do you swarm the board with minions? Do you put up taunts early and often? Do you use removal spells in early, mid, or late game?

Things like that.

The best weapon you have against Priests are your 4 attack minions, and Druid has an exceptional start with Druid of the claw.

Don't be afraid to amass a large board of 4 attack minions; Yetis, Claws, Azure Drake, and Cairne if you have him. There's really not a lot a Priest can do against that kind of board.

As for your large minions, make sure you have the ability to remove them if the Priest Mindcontrols it. Big Game Hunter helps, and if you've managed to amass a large board, dropping a large minion down isn't as scary (as you can simply trade some of your board to kill it, and still be ahead).

Never forget that if the Priest MC's something of yours, and you can easily remove it, you're ahead as the Priest had to waste an entire turn.
Reply Quote
04/06/2014 07:31 AMPosted by DMancuso

Things like that.
Huge amount of taunts. Druid watcher deck got a good early game and control the board easily most of the time. Shadow word pain most of the time is not a big deal and sometimes it leaves me more card advantage if I place harvest golem to trade for his spells. But not really a good trade for his side since he didn't kill the golem since he revives. Shadow word death is basically a waste of space in priest deck when versus my deck because of plenty of 4 attack power minions on my side. He can do nothing about it because it is in the safe zone between shadow word pain and shadow word death. Shadow word pain remove a minion with 3 attack and less, shadow word death remove 5+ attack minion but since minions like Yeti, Ancient watcher, Black knight, etc is in the safe zone, I can easily get the board under control without getting any of my things removed. Sun fury protector and Defender of Argus is use to give taunts to watcher which is big defense but I don't use Argus on watcher when vs priest since I'm fully aware of his removal. This deck is pretty much a counter to priests. I got a 9 mana cost legendary that also won't really be effective from shadow word death. I got Ysera in my deck which helps me a lot. don't have to worry about stuff like shadow word pain and big game hunter. Sure, they got mind control but will that mind control be fast enough to take over my legendary if I got innervate in my hands? Not just that, I got faceless in my deck. Sometimes I happen to have 2 Ysera on the flied if lucky. Got a few silence minions to deal with their bluffs. It helps with agro decks, sometimes wins, sometime loses...depending on your hand but huge success verus most priest decks.
Edited by Kimuto on 4/6/2014 2:29 PM PDT
Reply Quote
4 attack minions are the major weakness of Priests as they can circumvent much of their removal. The better news for Druids is that with Innervate, they can get 4 attack minions like the Yeti, Druid of the Claw, Azure Drake, Silver Hand Knight out well before the Priest has an answer for them. Double Innervating a powerful 4 attack creature like a Druid of the Claw or Cairne while reckless against some other classes can give you a huge advantage against a Priest.

If the match gets to a point where the Priest can use Mind Control, try to avoid playing something like the Ironbark Protector unless you have an answer for destroying it like the Big Game Hunter or Naturalize. This may be turn 8 or turn 10 depending on whether the Priest has used Mind Vision/Thoughtsteal so keep that in mind.
Reply Quote
Druid is probably the best equipped against Priests, especially watcher Druid. Yetis, Cairne, Watchers, DotC's, and Azure Drakes are all a huge problem against Priest since there isn't much they can do against that.

Really if you're having trouble against Priests just throw in more 4 attack minions. Argent Commanders, Sunwalkers, whatever.
Edited by PresidentSDR on 4/7/2014 3:29 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Thank you all for the notes and tips.

I added an extra 4 attack minion in... Still struggling but I'm getting a bit better lately.

In my last game I played two 4 attack minions, and both times was met with a 5 damage holy fire. Uff.

I think my deck and the play style I enjoy are best suited for late-games, and I think that may put me at a disadvantage. Having a priest cast 2 Mind Controls 2 turns in a row is tough.
Reply Quote
I think you and I had a game yesterday as well DMan... it was pretty good as I recall. :)

Yeah Priests... the main reason I put in MotWild in my deck was so I can buff some of my 2 attack minions (Arcane Golum, that 2/4 silence forest guy who's name I don't remember) up to four attack to avoid the dang PowerWords.

Ysera may very well make a return to my deck in place of Cenarius... I am SICK of losing him to BGH and PWD...

-Esch
Reply Quote
04/08/2014 12:07 AMPosted by EscherVox
I think you and I had a game yesterday as well DMan... it was pretty good as I recall. :)

Yeah Priests... the main reason I put in MotWild in my deck was so I can buff some of my 2 attack minions (Arcane Golum, that 2/4 silence forest guy who's name I don't remember) up to four attack to avoid the dang PowerWords.

Ysera may very well make a return to my deck in place of Cenarius... I am SICK of losing him to BGH and PWD...

-Esch

Hah yes I think we did!

That's an interesting card to throw in there too... I don't tend to play buffs lately but maybe I should take a look.

I got my first victory in about 6 tries today. He didn't play one mind control or deck stealing card though.

It was close at the end. He kept dropping late game taunts, and I didn't have any of my own to wall up behind... May need to consider adding a later game taunt minion too...
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]