Budget Druid Deck

Here's a deck I put together tonight. Ended up going 9-1 in casual play with it. Was thinking about giving Ranked a try.

Decklist:
2 Innervate
2 Moonfire
1 Naturalize
2 Mark of the Wild
2 Wild Growth
2 Kobold Geomancer
2 Mark of Nature
2 Dalaran Mage
2 Swipe
2 Ogre Magi
2 Sen'jin Shieldmasta
1 Starfall
2 Azure Drake
2 Starfire
2 Argent Commander
2 Ironbark Protector

I love how druids can get the fatties out pretty early. My favorite so far was getting an Azure Drake on turn one. Plus the minions give Spell Damage bonus for my many spells.

Anyways, what do y'll think? What cards should I take out? What should be added? I'm brand new to the game (started this past weekend), so I dont have many rares. Any suggestions would be really great.
Reply Quote
I generally think druid doesn't have that much use for spell damage (they are very few gimmicky decks, that focus on it, but they are mostly centered around Malygos - a legendary card). Typically what druids use are Azure Drakes and Bloodmage Thalnos (one Kobold is enough replacement for him, just drop him for more effective Swipe or Starfall).
I would swap out Dalaran Mage for Harvest Golem and Ogre Magi for Chillwind Yetis, Moonfire for Wrath (along with Swipe it's the staple removal for Druids).
If you plan to stay with Druid for a while, your next thing to save dust for should definitely be Keeper of the Grove and Druid of the Claw. No matter what type of Druid deck I run, it's easily the first choice of minions to include.
Edited by Engra on 4/10/2014 2:10 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Welcome! :D

It looks quite good, I'm quite surprised that you have recognised the good cards so quickly.

Firstly, save some dust to craft two Harvest Golems. It is a solid three mana minion, and one of the only ones at that. It's popular at any level - you'll be using them throughout many of your decks. Take out Dalaran Mage for the Golems.

Take out Ogre Magi for Chillwind Yeti. Yeti is the most solid minion arguably in the whole game. You get one extra Health compared to Ogre Magi, and although you lose the spell damage, it allows the Yeti to fight against all other four mana minions (as none of them have enough attack to kill it).

Take out Moonfire and add Claw. Although Moonfire is 0 mana, it costs you a card, and it isn't worth it. You'd be better off using Shapeshift. Claw is a nice spell. You can use it in conjunction with Shapeshift to deal 3 damage, which is nice.

When you get the chance, craft Wrath and Druid of the Claw. They are universal Druid cards that are at the very heart of the Druid's strategy: strength and adaptability.

Hope I helped :) Have fun!
Reply Quote
Thanks guys! I didnt have enough to make the Keepers of the Grove, but I took your advice and made Druid of the Claw and Harvest Golems. I played a few games, and while I won those games, I did feel like I was drawing way too spells.

My list now:
2 Innervate
2 Claw
2 Mark of the Wild
2 Wild Growth
2 Wrath
2 Mark of Nature
2 Harvest Golem
2 Swipe
2 Chillwind Yeti
2 Sen'Jin Shieldmasta
1 Starfall
2 Azure Drake
2 Druid of the Claw
2 Starfire
2 Argent Commander
1 Ironbark Protector

13 Creatures 17 spells.
Reply Quote
04/10/2014 12:24 PMPosted by Dinkel
Thanks guys! I didnt have enough to make the Keepers of the Grove, but I took your advice and made Druid of the Claw and Harvest Golems. I played a few games, and while I won those games, I did feel like I was drawing way too spells.

You are right, you definitely could drop some spells...

2x Mark of the Wild
2x Mark of Nature

It's quite overkill to have both of these buffs. I actually stopped using them altogether. I think Mark of the Wild is generally more popular as its kinda more balanced and cheaper. But test both and decide what fits your playstyle better. Or take them out completely... Druid of the Claw is already enough trouble ;P So maybe change either of the two for some solid 2 drop. Like Faerie Dragon or -- just in case you'd have Ancient Watcher, then you'd definitely have some good value from the buff.

2x Wild Growth

Now when you start with druid, Wild Growth seems like auto-include in every deck. But it's not really the case. You sacrifice two mana in one turn to be 1 mana ahead from the next turn. Some decks are built around it, others don't really need it at all and might actually even slow them down in a sense.
You have only three late game cards and only one of them is mana hungry, so I don't think you need it. If you like the card draw aspect of it (on 10th mana crystal), swap it for some card draw minions. But don't take my word for it, playtest it all.

Otherwise it's shaping up quite well :)
Edited by Engra on 4/10/2014 2:07 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Thanks Engra! During my playtest, I felt Wild Growth didn't help much so I ended up taking both out. I'll definitely put in 2 Faerie Dragons, gonna have to craft them. Unfortunately I don't have any Ancient Watchers. When I can, I'll take out a couple Mark of Nature once I can get Keeper of the Grove.
Reply Quote
2 Sen'jins for 2 Druid of the Claw
2 Ogre Magi for 2 Keeper of the Grove
1 Ironbark Protector for 1 Claw

The first 2 are kind of hard I know, the budget these days is hard, but running x2 Ironbarks is a no-no I think

Claws are pretty good, as I said on other posts, you can usually trade anything on turn 3 with Claw + Hero power, you should start running x1 Claw then if you really like the early control and get addicted to it run x2. Trust me, you will start sending emails to blizzard asking to make an exception to runn x3 or x4 Claws on druids :)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]