How do you counter UTH combos?

I tried keeping my minions on the board to only 2, but then they just slowly kill you with their hero ability. Whats the counter other then just playing with %50 taunt in your deck and losing because your out of cards?

Also, if it takes this long to fix the alt-tab full screen problem, you need to hire new programmers. Most annoying bug ever!
Reply Quote
Just use some Taunts, particularly lower cost ones if you can manage it. You hardly need half your deck either. I have either six or eight Taunts in my Shaman deck, depending on how you count Feral Spirit, and I do just fine against Hunters. What's your current deck look like?
Reply Quote
You don't. Taunts don't work.
Reply Quote
You can't counter the combos, they are instant. You can just magically have the perfect taunts at the perfect time and the Hunter magically has no removals apparently. That's your counter to the face smash according to the Hunter defenders.
Edited by Dishrack on 4/9/2014 11:18 AM PDT
Reply Quote
The only time I lose to hunters is if I forget and put 3+ minions on the board post-T4. If I do, then I can expect a board clearing exercise from my opponent.
Reply Quote
04/09/2014 11:24 AMPosted by Meldwyn
The only time I lose to hunters is if I forget and put 3+ minions on the board post-T4. If I do, then I can expect a board clearing exercise from my opponent.

As opposed to getting your 1 or 2 minions deadly shotted, sniped, freezing trapped, multi-shot, hunters marked, etc etc etc
Reply Quote
Hunters have *sick* removal. Sick. You have to play 1 minion against a hunter. Play 2 and you're dead, out comes Buzzard+UTH+Alpha and they could both be taunted.

The thing that really kills you though, despite how perfect your board play is? Hero ability. They spam it every round. That crap whittles you down, then they drop a Leeroy + Taskmaster. GG.

I hate hunters. lol
Reply Quote
I play with 2 Defenders of Argus and 2 tazdingos and it's usually enough. If you get a taunter early enough for force them to start using removal that would otherwise be going to your face, which allows you to race them. It also depends on the deck you play, it's hard to just give a lot of general tips.
Reply Quote
The thing that really kills you though, despite how perfect your board play is? Hero ability. They spam it every round. That crap whittles you down, then they drop a Leeroy + Taskmaster. GG.

Yeah, hunter's taskmasters and arcanite reapers are so OP ;)
Reply Quote
I and others have posted what to do against Hunters plenty of times in these forums, so check some of the other threads here if you're actually looking for solutions rather than keep spamming more and more threads QQing about UTH.
Reply Quote
After playing trump's f2p shaman deck and hovering ~ rank 11, I also came here for a solution because the UTH combo kept killing me. One guy commented that he had more success rushing hunters before they draw into the combo. I know this goes against what good ranked players do but I've had more success flooding the board with minions than playing strategically and keeping a limit of 2 minions while they whittle me down slowly and draw into a perfect combo. This tactic is by no means perfect and I still have a losing win rate against them but sometimes, to beat a .... you have to play like one.
Reply Quote
Control Warrior is at least a 50/50 matchup depending on draws. Probably a decent amount better than that actually. just armor up every turn. I play 0 taunts and don't have a major problem unless I draw horribly. It's hilarious watching hunters unleash the hounds and get one guy and draw one card against something like a Baron Geddon/Rag/Alexstrasza.
Reply Quote
Get a taunt minion, then get it destroyed by a hunter removal white it deals up to 12 dog DmG to your face by using dire wolf combos etc. So easily countered.
Reply Quote
04/09/2014 12:51 PMPosted by OwlRaider
I and others have posted what to do against Hunters plenty of times in these forums, so check some of the other threads here if you're actually looking for solutions rather than keep spamming more and more threads QQing about UTH.

Why not link to them instead? The OP is reasonable enough to warrant a proper response.
Reply Quote
Have you ever considered filling the board with minions that have 3 or more hp. That in itself usually stops UTH because you just can't generate more dogs than the board allows.

1 buzzard - 6 hounds, all 1/1 doggies
1 buzzard - 1 wolf - 5 hounds, all 2/1 doggies
1 buzzard - 2 wolves, 4 hounds, all 3/1 doggies

Although the first one has only 1/1's, they can attack 6 different targets, whereas the next 2 examples are limited to 5 and 4.

So if you have combo 2, you have 2/1's. If the enemy has minions with 3 hp, you must send 2 doggies per minion. This will leave you with minions on the board easily.

If combo 3 is used, well, he can kill 4 things with 3 hp or fewer things if you have some nasty big ones out, or even the 3/5 taunt guys.

Remember, the buzzard and wolf do not attack. If leeroy is used as part of the combo, then you didn't do a very good job filling up the board. And leeroy has 2hp, not really a big threat.
Reply Quote
You put in 100 dollars get all the legendaries needed to play "I spent a lot of money" Warror/Druid and pray you get a good draw.

There is no counter to a class that basically has all of the hard removals that so happen to cost absolutely nothing to play.
Edited by Vox on 4/10/2014 5:45 AM PDT
Reply Quote
04/10/2014 05:43 AMPosted by Vox
You put in 100 dollars get all the legendaries needed to play "I spent a lot of money" Warror/Druid and pray you get a good draw.

There is no counter to a class that basically has all of the hard removals that so happen to cost absolutely nothing to play.

Hunters only have 1 hard removal card. (Deadly shot)
Their "AoE" is generally 2 damage (rarely 3 damage) per doggie.
Both are easily countered by running 3-5 mana cost cards.
Reply Quote
Hunter can't play it's 3 card combo until turn 5 at a minimum since it costs 5 mana. They can drop a Buzzard/UTH turn 4 but typically the board isn't set up to take advantage of that yet or it's hard to get that combo by then.

So think Turn 5, 6, 7, 8 are the ideal turns for Hunter to play this combo.

Stay on the active play. Force the Hunter to play their cards. Don't let them sit and wait to drop their combo. If you slow play and let them build their hand, the better that combo will be and the worse for wear you'll be after it goes off. It won't OTK you but the better it is, the more control they establish. Don't let them hold cards. Punish them for holding cards.

You can bait out the combo, lose your side but hold an AOE to clear it afterwards. Everything is going to have 1 health so an Arcane Blast, Wild Pyro or the like will do.

Don't over-extend. My deck specifically tries to make you over-extend and when you have no cards left in your hand I drop my bombs and win on card advantage.

Play cards that have card advantage. They'll minimize your losses and keep cards in your hand.

Heals. Farseers can ruin the day of a Hunter. Keep minions above 3 health to avoid losing sides to Explosive Traps.

Hunters playing this combo are relying on it for card draw on turns 6-8 typically. If you prevent them from waiting to use it on turns 1-5 you'll have a better chance of surviving the combo, making them play it with not all the pieces they want or only half of it to keep afloat.
Edited by Kayas on 4/10/2014 11:47 AM PDT
Reply Quote
There is only 1 card that works pretty well against UTH. Feral Spirit. Too bad the Shaman's hero power works against you if you're fighting a hunter.

04/10/2014 11:45 AMPosted by Kayas
Stay on the active play. Force the Hunter to play their cards. Don't let them sit and wait to drop their combo. If you slow play and let them build their hand, the better that combo will be and the worse for wear you'll be after it goes off. It won't OTK you but the better it is, the more control they establish. Don't let them hold cards. Punish them for holding cards.

04/10/2014 11:45 AMPosted by Kayas
Don't over-extend. My deck specifically tries to make you over-extend and when you have no cards left in your hand I drop my bombs and win on card advantage.

So, play aggressively without playing cards. Got it.
Reply Quote
Have as little minion on the board as possible, which mean it's like inviting RUSH deck. Great, 1st problem didn't solve, introduce 2nd problem, another problem with this game. All he gotta do is remove that minion and all doors open with all glory for free hits. Still a GG, it's a lose lose vs. UTH
Edited by baalblade on 4/11/2014 2:40 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]