Cairne vs Black Knight (Update)

Hey guys, I'm saving up dust for my next legendary. I was lucky enough to get Ragnaros and Leeroy from packs and I crafted Tirion. I was leaning towards crafting the Black Knight or Cairne next. Ysera seems unnecessary since I have Tirion and Rag already. I play Paladin except for quests and already have all the Paladin and neutral epics I need. I play mainly mid-range and Control/healadin but sometimes run aggro to mix it up. I am leaning towards the Black Knight due to limited Paladin removal.

Update: crafted Cairne and got the Black Knight in a daily pack. I'm looking to craft giants for giant control or Ysera/bloodmage thalnos.

Legendaries I own:
Leeroy Jenkins
Ragnaros
Cairne
Tirion
TBK
Lorewalker Cho (to be disenchanted)
Edited by Cecton on 5/1/2014 7:47 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Black Knight
Reply Quote
Also consider Sylvanas. She can dominate a board and really slow your opponent down, or at least force hard removal which makes way for your Rag/Alex/Tirion/etc.

BK is great because of his instant use, but the problem with BK is that he may come at inopportune times. Cairne, however, is pretty much always good to play.

I think all 3 of these belong in an ideal Paladin deck.
Reply Quote
I would definitely use Sylvanas if I had her. In the meantime faceless manipulator works well and Cairne and TBK seem like more solid 6 drops since I usually run two avenging wraths and 1 or two argent commanders/sunwalkers. I forgot to mention that the only giant I have is a sea giant but I think I'd rather wait to get a couple giants in packs.
Reply Quote
I'd go for Sylvanas. She's really great in Paladin decks, especially if you have Rag
Reply Quote
Black Knight first imo. It has saved me so many times when opponent faceless manipulates Tirion or mind controls it or something. Or plays that big taunt to save him fatal.

I recently crafted both Cairne and Sylvanas, but currently I removed Sylvanas from my paladin deck, I need to learn play it better I guess, only tried her some games without much value. Cairne is decent, but I would still pick Black Knight over others.
Reply Quote
tBK is not great in Paladin, I'd probably rate the sixes for Paladin as Sylvanas>Cairne>tBK>Beast
Reply Quote
@Kouen
That happens way too often to Tirion than I would like. Seems everyone is running faceless these days, which is why it was my last crafting priority. I'd much rather they faceless/MC my rag so I can faceless + BGH.
Reply Quote
Yeah problem with Tirion is that enemy wants to faceless / MC / remove it asap. It's always a risky play and you need to calculate and bait enemy polys/hexes/faceless/removals/silences before playing him.

It would be so nice to drop it when you hit 8 mana, but I often don't, unless opponent has really few cards left. It's just risky. Cairne and Sylvanas help a lot too. They bait removals and silences, so its safe to play Tirion later.

Same with Nat Pagle. It had a little nerf, but I still run him. Paladin can often keep him alive long (divine shield it!) and forces opponent to waste removal on him. Makes Tirion play safer later. Oh I love coin Nat Pagle and next turn Argent Protector gives divine shield for him. I have made Pagle last like 5-6 turns that way if opponent lacks silence.
Reply Quote
Is Nat still worth it to craft after the nerf? Especially for paladin? I think I would go with bloodmage thalnos instead.
Edited by Cecton on 4/10/2014 2:00 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Find a way to fit both.
Reply Quote
cairne is good in almost any deck. i'd go carine before BK. I like both though, i use them both.
Reply Quote
I love black knight because that avoid trading minions. I like cards that kills minions without trading anything like the fire elemental. That is how people create card advantage slowly and win the game. Cairne is also very good too. Depending on what kind of deck. If you're more of a control deck than Cairne is better since it is way better at board control. If possible, why not both?
Edited by Kimuto on 4/10/2014 10:30 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I will look at getting both. I just have limited dust atm.
Reply Quote
I just saw the sample cards released for the adventure mode. Maybe I'll go with Cairne and make a paladin death rattle/redemption deck lol

Undertaker x2
Loot hoarder x 2
Harvest golem x 2
Abomination x2
Nerubian egg x 2
Cairne
Sylvanas
Tirion
Reply Quote
I finally went with Cairne. It was a tough choice since I am working on building a rogue deck but he seemed the best value overall for my main paladin deck especially with the new cards coming out. I'll go with the black knight next or molten giants.
Reply Quote
I'm R4 with control pally atm, I run Cairne over TBK and I'll tell you why:

-Cairne is less situational and NEVER a dead card
-As a Control Pally, I have doing good against other control decks or any decks where you would find some high hp taunts in. Rush decks seems to be the weakness and TBK is a semi-dead card versus rush decks.
-You NEED a silence bait. If you run Tirion , you really want a silence bait. Cairne is Amazing for this purpose.

Nevertheless, TBK remains a GREAT card and if I had both of them , I would probly run them both. But if u want my opnion, 100% Cairne be4 TBK.

Also, Sylvanas and Harrison Jones are also up for consideration, altough I would Put Cairne before those 2, and Equal spot with TBK.
Reply Quote
I keep seeing Harrison Jones in top paladin decks and it kind of makes me want him for the situational card draw especially vs control warrior and shaman. I don't think I could bring myself to craft him though lol.
Reply Quote
Harrison jones is an awesome card. I feel the same way, if i had 1600 dust, no way im crafting that card.

So luckily, i pulled him in the pack like 3 weeks ago :)

i remember back a few seasons, people were saying he is one of the worst cards too. I run him and ooze, people play so many weapons and turn around games when playing late.

Also valuable against those damn priests that keep stealing my damn tirion.
Reply Quote
The other day I opened my first legendary in a long time... Lore walker Cho... =/ was pretty bummed until the next day I got the black knight in my next daily pack. Not sure what to even craft anymore lol.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]