Priest Article

Yes, this is shameless self-advertising, but I feel like some of you may enjoy the read. I'm still running this deck now that I've hit Legendary though I've been experimenting a lot with Mage lately, for those of you who don't have the epics necessary for Handlock, I feel this is a good substitute for dealing with the hordes of Control Warrior, while having pretty favorable odds vs. Hunter.
http://hearthstoneplayers.com/guide-watcher-priest-control/
Reply Quote
pretty greedy deck

very inconsistent matchups vs mid-range / aggro is a pretty big weakness

the meta is in a sad state if this actually works
Reply Quote
You mentioned if you could only run one legendary, it would be Rag. I'm close to crafting one, and I have no other legendaries (I don't count King Krush).

Can you advise what cards might be best in place of Cairne, Baron, and Alex? I'll probably make a hybrid of your deck and my deck (see my forum posts for my deck, I won't ninja your thread with it).
Reply Quote
04/08/2014 05:10 PMPosted by Flame
You mentioned if you could only run one legendary, it would be Rag. I'm close to crafting one, and I have no other legendaries (I don't count King Krush).

Can you advise what cards might be best in place of Cairne, Baron, and Alex? I'll probably make a hybrid of your deck and my deck (see my forum posts for my deck, I won't ninja your thread with it).

I'd probably opt into the +1 Mind Control, +1 Holy Fire, +1 Boulderfist Ogre route. It takes some playing around with to determine if you should run x2 Ogre or x2 Holy Fire, I feel both cards are really strong. You could also run a Faceless Manipulator instead of one of the Legendaries. The great thing about Priest is how Mind Control can always sub-in for a high-end Legendary.
Reply Quote
Nice article.

The Watchers Priest is a very powerful and potent deck in the current meta only becoming stronger as the days go on due to the fading out of Zoo because of it’s unfavorable match-up to the King, Control Warrior

Can you explain why you think it's an unfavorable match-up? I've read the opposite elsewhere.
Edited by Sutekh on 4/8/2014 5:59 PM PDT
Reply Quote
04/08/2014 05:58 PMPosted by Sutekh
Nice article.

The Watchers Priest is a very powerful and potent deck in the current meta only becoming stronger as the days go on due to the fading out of Zoo because of it’s unfavorable match-up to the King, Control Warrior

Can you explain why you think it's an unfavorable match-up? I've read the opposite elsewhere.

Thanks for the compliment man.

Uh, saying it's a bad match-up was a bit of an over-exaggeration on my part. Zoo doesn't really have un-winnable match-ups, in the case of Warrior, if the Warrior can stop early momentum with Fiery War Axe, Taskmasters, Whirlwind, and Frothing, he has a very good chance of winning.

If he doesn't draw them, or Zoo draws extremely well, Zoo will win, but it's not an assured win vs. Control Warrior, ever. Lately Zoo has been evolving to become a bit slower, running stuff like tBK and Cairne in a few Pro lists. As Zoo becomes slower, the risk of running into Brawl becomes larger. It's more consistent on average, but it closes out games slower. The very old YouTube list is just too inconsistent, most people aren't playing that version in high ranks anymore.
Reply Quote
04/08/2014 05:21 PMPosted by VSarius
04/08/2014 05:10 PMPosted by Flame

I'd probably opt into the +1 Mind Control, +1 Holy Fire, +1 Boulderfist Ogre route. It takes some playing around with to determine if you should run x2 Ogre or x2 Holy Fire, I feel both cards are really strong. You could also run a Faceless Manipulator instead of one of the Legendaries. The great thing about Priest is how Mind Control can always sub-in for a high-end Legendary.

I was thinking MC and Faceless too. I like using Faceless with SW:D for a cheap Mind Control. Holy Fire hasn't found it's way into my deck yet, but I agree it's a strong card. I'll see what I can do with your deck, looks like good stuff. Here's to a viable priest!
Edited by Flame on 4/8/2014 9:47 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I'm curious as to why you dislike Cabal Shadow Priest so much. Every other deck i've seen runs 1 or 2 of them, without fail. Yeah by turn 6 when you are playing it people are trying to run out bigger cards, but you don't always get your 2 or 3 drops early. I've been in lots of games where on turn 6 or 7 the enemy will play a 4 or 5 drop plus a harvester or whatever. Seems like a good value card overall.

Overall though I liked your article, haven't seen baron gedding ever in a priest deck, very interesting. Well thought out though.
Reply Quote
04/08/2014 04:54 PMPosted by biz
pretty greedy deck

very inconsistent matchups vs mid-range / aggro is a pretty big weakness

the meta is in a sad state if this actually works

The meta is in a sad state when rush decks are the norm. :(
Reply Quote
04/08/2014 11:30 PMPosted by supersnuggle
I'm curious as to why you dislike Cabal Shadow Priest so much. Every other deck i've seen runs 1 or 2 of them, without fail. Yeah by turn 6 when you are playing it people are trying to run out bigger cards, but you don't always get your 2 or 3 drops early. I've been in lots of games where on turn 6 or 7 the enemy will play a 4 or 5 drop plus a harvester or whatever. Seems like a good value card overall.

Overall though I liked your article, haven't seen baron gedding ever in a priest deck, very interesting. Well thought out though.

It's too low impact is the general thought, like, Cabal is a good card, but the six-slot is highly contested. I personally feel it's too low-impact to warrant a slot in a 30 card deck. If they are playing 2-3 drops on turn 6, I'm not too concerned since I'm either dropping Cairne or Geddon very soon who completely demolish that threat.

Cabal could be a good budget replacement if you lack Cairne or Sylvanas though. Although, I'm always a fan of the humble Boulderfist as just this huge body you can throw down. Cabal is a good value card but a bit bad on impact/tempo. If we had 40 card decks, I would run 2 of them though.
Reply Quote
Amaz streamed himself playing a slightly modified version of my deck today, feel free to check out the vods.
Reply Quote
Hmmm Watcher priest? Sounds like a good early start. I don't think I seen that before.
Reply Quote
Only halfway through the article and take it from this level 40 Priest, that deck looks good.

I play so, so differently than the typical Priest playstyle though (serious heavy legendary late game). I want to try this out and I will -- thankfully I'm so familiar with Priest it won't be too difficult to learn.

Thanks for this write up.
Reply Quote
I think my rankings to low right now. I beat the agro hunters by just dumping my hand onto the table and convincing them to use unleashe the hounds while my life is still in the upper 20's
Reply Quote
04/13/2014 08:11 AMPosted by gilhena
I think my rankings to low right now. I beat the agro hunters by just dumping my hand onto the table and convincing them to use unleashe the hounds while my life is still in the upper 20's

Yeah I find Hunter's are actually really easy to beat with this deck, the hero power is really good vs. them, and the early game can completely shut them down, hell I've burned them down in some games.
Reply Quote
04/13/2014 04:34 AMPosted by VSarius
Amaz streamed himself playing a slightly modified version of my deck today, feel free to check out the vods.

Amaz has been running that deck since I started watching him at the middle of Test Season Three so I wouldn't say he's running your deck

Butt hurt fan-boyness aside, very nice article.

Geddon is an interesting Choice for a priest deck

I personally don't like Alexstrasza, she is just a brokenly strong card that could be shoe horned into any deck. I'm surprised she doesn't show up in more top end decks. Very under rated imo
Reply Quote
Been playing this deck in ranked - just a few games in, gained 3 ranks. Fun deck, solid when you get a good draw. Even with a bad draw you aren't stuck and can sometimes, with mid-game good draw, can pull yourself out of it. Enjoying it so far and I don't even remotely miss my Shadow Word: Pains. Who'd have thought?!
Reply Quote
Ive used this deck since Dec, so really its nobodies deck.
Reply Quote
Having trouble with handlock.

There is no way to know a priori what deck warlock is running so I always mulligan in favor of zoo. Since handlock doesn't kill you right away you can draw into key cards. That said, you have 4 giants and 2 deaths. You have to have board control so that you can make inefficient trades to get rid of the two remaining giants. That makes you vulnerable to board clear. Late game jaraxxus !@#$s all over you.

What am I missing here? I don't seem to have a problem winning against zoo/murlocks.

--edit--
1) Alexstraza has been a dead card so far in ~30 matches. By turn 9 the my opponents tend to have around 15 health anyway and if they do have 30 health then they tend to have board control to go along with it. Swapping it out for deathwing and seeing what happens.

2) Have you considered 2 BGH? Not sure what to take out for them, but they would be useful vs all 3 types of warlock decks and control warrior. Have not considered other matchups.
Edited by Sutekh on 4/20/2014 1:59 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]