Shadowform deck

I'm currently rank 18th with my deck. I think I ended on 18th last test season as well. I've been as high as 13th, but then started to back peddle hard. I think 18th and 19th is what I tend to hover around most with this deck. I really do like it. Priest I see tend to not do much for the first few rounds, so I wanted some low cost minions to make up for that. I seem to have good mid to late game.

I currently run this...

Leper Gnome x2
Lightwarden x2
NSC x2
VooDoo Dr. x1
Cho*
Nat*
SD:D x2
Shadowform x2
Farseer x1
D of Argus x2
Warden x2
Holy Nova x2
Faceless Manip x2
Gurubashi x1
Harrison Jones*
Holy Fire x2
Black Knight*
Velen*
Alex*
MC x1

I don't really play to the healing side as I do the damage side. So I love seeing NSC get ate up by removal early. I know a lot of people say lightwarden is week, but coupled with Leper or Voodoo early on can make some good early damage.

Cho is more of a soft taunt early on, but games where I can faceless him twice .. well they tend to be some of my most memorable games. Mogu is just meant to be in there to keep me safe for a round or two. Same with Guru.. don't expect him to last.. more of a soft taunt.

My damage seems to come mostly early game with weenies, then mid game with Holy Fire and Shadowform.

Late game are the Velen combos.

I don't usually need Alex to save me, if I do, I'm normally dead anyway. Just there to knock down a player's hero using a lot of taunt.

I used to run SD:P, but people said to toss it. I noticed without them I'm running about 2 ranks higher. In the past I wasn't able to break out of 15th. I don't mind tossing MC either.. never use it much, and if it draws early it is dead.

I would like to keep my Shadowforms as I have a ton of fun with them, but pretty much everything is fair game.

I have every card now, so anything is possible. I'm getting better at deck building, but I'm slow.

Thanks!
Reply Quote
Hi I currently main a shadowform specific deck aswell but hovering around rank 15 as of now. What I find is that your entire game is revolved around getting shadowform up before you take to too much dmg. Effectively your playing from a disadvantage until you can board clear. Thus there are two things you have to consider, how to reduce the amount of dmg taken before you draw shadowform and how do you deal with games when you don't draw shadowform at all. Most of my games involves me taking quite a beating before I would clear the board with something like soulpriest + circle combo then healing back up and taking board control. If I don't draw the right cards by the time I take more than 15-20dmg I'm basically dead. when it reaches late game I've basically won with velen mind control and any combo of late game cards.
Reply Quote
04/08/2014 09:12 PMPosted by TasteTheWine
D of Argus x2
hehe

1) Try Boulderfist Ogre instead of Gurubashi. I like an instant 6/7 better than waiting a turn to get a 5/5.

2) Try shieldamasta instead of wardens. A 1/7 doesn't really do any damage.

3) If you want to deal damage wouldn't it serve you better to take out the lightwardens and clerics and put in auchenais? If you need early game control might try running ooze.
Reply Quote
I was thinking of making a shadow form deck which has as many sweepers as possible (abominations, auchenai priest + circle etc) to avoid taking too much damage at the beginning. Then slam the opponent with the shadow forms.

Obvious drawback is, that you are screwed if you do not draw them :)

Has anyone experience with such a deck construction or tried something like that?
Reply Quote
I was thinking of making a shadow form deck which has as many sweepers as possible (abominations, auchenai priest + circle etc) to avoid taking too much damage at the beginning. Then slam the opponent with the shadow forms.

yep my entire deck is based on drawing holynova/auchenai+circle. I also have wild pyromancer for murlocks. everything else are taunts or heals to keep me alive longer.
My deck runs:
2x circle of healing
2x power word shield
1x acidic swamp ooze
2x wild pyromancer
2x shadow word pain
1x shadow word death
2 x shadow form
1 x thought steal
2 x earthen ring farseer
1 x shadow madness
2 x auchenai soulpriest
1 x sen'jin shield master
1 x spell breaker
1 x holy nova
1 x faceless manipulator
2 x holy fire
1 x cabal shadow priest
1 x sun walker
1 x sylvannas wind runner
1 x prophet velen
1 x ysera
1 x mind control

mostly have problems against shamans as they just flood the board too quickly. All other rush decks can be dealt with if I can draw auchenai + circle in time. Control decks are generally not a problem, and the main thing is to just play smart i.e when to shadowform and when to drop minions/board clear.
Reply Quote
04/08/2014 10:21 PMPosted by GoSpel
What I find is that your entire game is revolved around getting shadowform up before you take to too much dmg. Effectively your playing from a disadvantage until you can board clear.

I hear you, but that is what used to happen when I had SW:P and fewer minions. I would draw either too high mana cards or no shadowform early. What fixed this was adding low cost minions. I would say over 90% of the time.. even by going first I have at least 1 one mana minion to play. So with this deck I have been taking the offensive early with minions making my opponent try to clear my board and stopping me from hitting him in the face. But, yes, if no shadowform early or no low minions early.. I lose.

Soulpriest + circle combo

I do enjoy this combo, and have used it before. Are you saying to throw those 2(4) in? I could take out a Guru or something.
Edited by TasteTheWine on 4/9/2014 6:59 PM PDT
Reply Quote
04/09/2014 02:01 AMPosted by Sutekh

1) Try Boulderfist Ogre instead of Gurubashi. I like an instant 6/7 better than waiting a turn to get a 5/5.

Will do.

2) Try shieldamasta instead of wardens. A 1/7 doesn't really do any damage.

Will do. My only regret is both of mine are golden and not the shieldmastas. =(

3) If you want to deal damage wouldn't it serve you better to take out the lightwardens and clerics and put in auchenais? If you need early game control might try running ooze.

The lightwarden isn't really for damage as much as it is for soft taunts to wait til I get mid game or late when I can really hit hard. However the extra damage from heals has been nice. Normally she dies after I get off 3 damage. A few times I do 5 damage.. Once I did 7. But I do get your point. I'll try it. The ooze makes good since from the weapons and still being low cost.
Edited by TasteTheWine on 4/9/2014 6:59 PM PDT
Reply Quote
The power of Shadowform lies in its ability to build up both card advantage and board control, in exchange for severe tempo hits. Not only that, you also lose card advantage when you first cast Shadowform.

Due to all this, focusing on a "sweeper" approach as Asmodean suggested is a great way to improve your deck. Otherwise, a very defensive deck is needed to mitigate the drawbacks of having using 2x Shadowform. For this reason, half of your deck, OP, is not suitable for Shadowform.

For instance, Leper Gnome can do a lot of early damage, but Shadowform allows you to build up advantage over several turns. You would be doing 4 damage early to your opponent, and then leave him at with that damage for the rest of the game. It is very unlikely that you can benefit from that Leper Gnome. If you're using Shadowform to hit the enemy Hero over killing their minions, then you would not gain significant advantage and board control.

Lorewalker Cho, Nat Pagle, Leper Gnome, Light Warden, Mogu'shan Warden, Faceless Manipulator and Gurubashi Berserker are all questionable includes. Light Warden and Gurubashi Berserker need healing to be powerful, which you could lack due to Shadowform. Mogu'shan Warden cannot trade well without Inner Fire, and is better replaced with Senjin Shieldmasta. Lorewalker Cho and Nat Pagle could delay the opponent, but against fast aggro decks, you need early "traders" to kill off their minions before they buff themselves into an unstoppable tide. Again, Leper Gnome damages the opposing hero, but pointlessly as the rest of your deck is slow. Faceless Manipulator is situational, and while it could lead to some cool combos, having 2x of them is excessive and risky, especially against aggro decks.

That's at least 9 cards that hold back your deck's potential. I recommend instead:
2x Holy Smite - great synergy with Shadowform. at best, can remove 5 health champion for 3 mana
2x Auchenai Soulpriest, 2x Circle of Healing - essential combo for your deck, as it covers Shadowform drawbacks
2x Injured Blademaster - so that Circle of Healing is less of a dead card when you cannot draw Soulpriest
1x Senjin Shieldmasta

This setup allows you to ignore the need for early small minions and have a stronger game overall.
Edited by Joewoof on 4/9/2014 9:44 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Duckwingface is a streamer on Twitch, he has been running a Shadow priest deck the last week or so and hes bouncing around rank 5-6. You might want to check him out

Edit- Wrong Streamer
Edited by Redoing on 4/10/2014 10:01 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Hes on right now: http://www.twitch.tv/directory/game/Hearthstone%3A%20Heroes%20of%20Warcraft#/duckwingface
Reply Quote
Based on feedback, here is my new lineup.

Circle of Healing x2
Holy Smite x1
NSC x1
Cho* (Just had to keep him for fun times.)
SW:D x2
Shadowform x2
Farseer x1
Injured Blademaster x2
Auchennai x2
D of Argus x2
Shieldmasta x2
Holy Nova x2
Faceless Manipulator x2 (Fun Combos with Velen and Cho.)
HJ*
Holy Fire x2
Boulderfist x1
Black Knight*
Velen*
Alex*
MC x1

6 losses 6 wins .. I'll update as I play more with this deck. Lol so far still 50/50.
Edited by TasteTheWine on 4/12/2014 9:19 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Okay that last deck I was getting about a 50% win ratio. I think my old deck was better. I did put it back, but made some changes.

From my original deck I left out the Guru, but kept the Boulderfist Orge that was recommended.
I left out Nat and added Knife Juggler since I have some low cost minions. I'm not sure why people say Mindless Manip is so situational, maybe at the higher ranks, but I would say using the card is almost always a better turn out for me or the opponent if they have one.

ie: just last game my opponent played a boulderfist then DS'ed it. I copied it for great value.

With this slight change I've already won 4 in a row. Now watch me lose then next 4 lol, but we will see.

Summary of these past 4 games. I had early damage getting my opponents down to 20 or so by mid game. Mid and late game is where I am strongest so they were all playing catch up. My last game ended with a Velen and Mind Shatter combo for 6 damage and the win.

I'm not saying I will climb any higher than I have been... but.. I'm having fun with this deck and that is what matters most.
Reply Quote
I am fooling around with a shadow form deck as well. Some problems persist all the time, though...

1. Rush decks
The sweepers help somewhat but usually I take too much damage. The sform therefore doesn't help so much because I need healing.

2. Healing
As I said above I take too much damage. I really consider taking a second lightwell haha
Reply Quote
I would recommend just pumping your deck full of taunts and relying on your shadow power to kill things. Add in watchers and the usual priest combos (circle of healing, auchenai/ injured blade). I'd even consider putting in both mind blasts for the last push of damage.

As a shadow form you'd want to push the game as far as you can so that you can get more value out of your hero power.

Edit: Wild pyros and PW:S too.
Edited by Thesquigerer on 4/13/2014 11:39 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]