Rogue Mill deck

Hello everyone, the other day I read an article about the Mill druid deck and thinked while it was an insteresting strat it was very situational since if you didn't have especific combos you won't get your opponent to overdraw.
Therefore I sit and thinked, what other class can cause the enemy to die out from fatigue?

While the rogue does not have Naturalize it does have something way more useful: The ability to return minions to their owners hand.

Deck list:

Spells

Shadowstep x 2
Conceal x 2
Deadly Poison x 2
Sap x 2
Shiv x 2
Vanish x 2

Weapons: Assasin's Blade x 2 or Perdition's Blade

Minions

Defias Ringleader x 2
Lorewalker Cho x 1
Youthful Brewmaster x 2
Coldlight Oracle x 2
Earthen Ring Farseer x 2
SI:7 Agent x 2
King Mukla x 1
Ancient Brewmaster x 2
Master of Disguise x 2

With the 2 Brewmasters and Shadowstep you can play the Coldlight oracle up to 4 times, with 2 oracles that is 8 and a big total of 16 cards taken from both decks.
While the Brewmasters are mean to replay the Coldlight Oracle they can be used on the other minions with Battlecry in order to keep advantage of the board or outlast your opponent.

Lorewalker Cho will give to your opponent cards that are useful to you but not for him, such has Shadowstep, Vanish, Sap and against heroes that don't use weapons (Such has Priest, Mage and Warlock) Deadly Poison. You can use Conceal or Master of Disguise to protect the Lorewalker.

If the enemy floods the board you can play Vanish, and if his hand is already to full this will cause the creatures to be destroyed.
Reply Quote
Am trying to do likewise, but currently lacking the dust to craft Mukla or Cho.

So, let's work on this deck together.

With the new Naxxramas cards coming soon, will any of their deathrattles help with the milling theme?

Dancing Swords should do the trick, it's a 3-cost 4/4 which forces your opponent to draw a card after it dies.
Reply Quote
I just played vs a guy who played a variation of this Rogue 'Mill' deck ... it was super super annoying but interesting to play against nontheless ... 1/100 games are like this.

This guy ran x2 Doomsayers (to regain board control), x2 Conceal (to use with Doomsayers), x2Vanish, x2Sap, and most importantly Cold Oracles ... I burnt like 6 or 8 cards but I still won with a Kobold+2fireball for 14 damage ... I imagine Rogue Mill doesn´t work very well vs Mage in general (and I´m playing a standard controllish basic mage deck with no commons, no rares, no nothing).

This happened at rank 17 btw.

Again, although it was super annoying to play against, it is "different", so I´m ok with this kind of decks having their own twists and style.
Reply Quote
As ZeratulARG pointed out I have the most trouble with mages since they don't need to have much on the field anyway and they just kinda burn your face but it's not a big deal. It's not like this niche deck is supposed to be great against every deck out there.

In my Rogue Mill deck I use:

Spells:

2x Backstab
1x Preparation
2x Shadowstep
1x Conceal
2x Eviscerate
2x Sap
2x Assassinate
2x Vanish

Minions:

2x Elven Archer
2x Shieldbearer
2x Youthful Brewmaster
2x Ancient Brewmaster
2x Coldlight Oracle
1x Mukla
2x SI:7 Agent
1x Leeroy Jenkins
1x Faceless Manipulator
1x The Black Knight

A number of things I do differently than the OP are as follows:

Spells:

-I don't use deadly poison or weapons because when you go for the Mill, your own deck size is gonna be draining right with the opponent so if possible you want to avoid taking as much damage to the face as you can.
-Backstabs and Eviscerates are really nice for dealing with early game and mid game minions, again preventing as much damage from hitting your face as possible.
-Assassinates are used to burn the fatties and mid range threats who can't be killed with Sap because you either don't have one or the opponent's hand is not full.
-Preparation is really nice as it lets you play Vanish for 3. Not only does it clear an extra slot from your hand but you can also do things like play Oracle on turn 6 then Prep and Vanish, clearing the board, getting the 2 cards to your opponent's hand, maybe burning things on the field, and maintaining control of your hand size. I only use 1 though as it's really only intended to be comboed with Vanish as the other abilities I use cost little.

Minions:
-Elven Archers give you that 1 damage poke as they come into play and can combo nicely with SI:7 Agents, allowing you to kill 3hp minions or more if you can keep bouncing them with Vanish, Brewmasters etc. They also help control rush decks by killing 1 hp minions straight out.
-Shieldbearers are another anti-rush/anti-charge minion put in there. The 4 HP is nice as it allows you to "heal" them by bouncing them back to your hand if they take a small hit or two plus they only cost 1. The low cost allows for comboing with SI:7 Agent.
-Leeroy Jenkins can help lower the opponent's HP into killing range from the Mill or can finish the opponent off. His low cost allows you to combo him with Vanish on turns 10+ (or 7+ if you're holding that Prep), sending two worthless whelps into the opponent's hand to fill up space.
-Faceless Manipulator is in there to combo with either a powerful card from the opponent or with your own Leeroy on turns 9+.
-The Black Knight helps remove big taunt minions and clear the way for your smaller attackers or clear the way for Leeroy. Getting as many pokes in as possible is essential as like I mentioned the opponent's deck is usually dropping at around the same pace as yours so you have to try to stay at least on par as far as damage taken.
Reply Quote
This is my version of the deck I recently replaced the fan of knives with Mana Wraiths. I don't know if I will switch it back or not. Also mages are a big pain for the Rouge mill deck unless you get an advantage early on.

When I get more cards I might switch things out some. I was thinking Ysera if I ever get her. The reason is for I think it's called Nightmare. Whatever it was called though it brings back a minion to the hand.

I am also possibility going to go for Kidnapper once I get some. I don't know about this one though just because it's a combo card and costs as much as a vanish and for the effect it will cost nearly as much as a cold-light oracle with a vanish.

2 Backstabs

2 Shadowsteps

2 Eviscerates

2 saps

2 shivs

1 Defias ringleader

1 LoreWalker Cho

2 Youthful Bremasters

2 Fan of Knives (recently replaced with Mana Wraiths)

2 Coldlight Oracles

1 Questing Adventurer

1 Ancient Brewmaster

2 Master of Disguise

2 Assassinate

2 Faceless Manipulators

2 Vanish
Edited by Flint on 4/18/2014 4:38 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Here's what I have for my mill deck:

2x Backstab
2x Shadowstep
2x Sap
2x Shiv
2x Defias Ringleader
Lorewalker Cho
2x Mana Wraith
2x Youthful Brewmaster
2x Perdition's Blade
Headcrack
2x Coldlight Oracle
Ancient Brewmaster
Leeroy Jenkins
2x Master of Disguise
2x Assassinate
Faceless Manipulator
2x Vanish
Sprint

You'd be surprised the wonders you can do with a Leeroy and Vanish as soon as turn 10 hits. Hit them in the face, Vanish and bounce the Whelps into their hand to fill it, next card burns, Leeroy again for another bash to the face and refill their hand with Vanish, and Leeroy a third time.
Reply Quote
It's a very hilarious experience. I enjoy it a lot.
Works well when you fight shamans, paladins that spam the board with their hero power.

Once you fill their hand with all sort of junk, including bananas, you can use coldlight oracle to burn their deck :)
Reply Quote
I'm surprised that I'm the only one that thought of that, but here's my Rogue Mill deck

Full deck without an explanation for copy pasta:
2x Shadowstep
2xBackstab

2xDeadly Poison

2x Sap
2xYouthful Brewmaster
Lorewalker Cho
Crazed Alchemist
2xFairy Dragons
Defias ringleader

Perdition blade
2x Coldlight Oracle
King Mukla
2xSA7Agent
Mindcontrol tech
Edwin Van Cleef

2xTwilight Drake

Assassinate.

2x Vanish
Sprint
Mountain Giant

Explanation:
Core:
2x Shadowstep

2x Sap
2xYouthful Brewmaster
Lorewalker Cho

2x Coldlight Oracle
King Mukla

2x Vanish

In my opinion those card are core, nobody should be surprised to see those there.

Complementary:
2xBackstab > control, and if you're smart you can give it to your opponent if you damage everysingle one of your guys, it will force him to use it on his own guys to get rid of it, or it will be a dead card in his hands.

2xDeadly Poison
>This one is the first one that I was surprised to not see in any of your deck. You play deadly poison with cho against a druid, a mage, a priest, or a warlock without jyraxus, they can't get rid of it. It's a dead card for the entire game in their hand.

Crazed Alchemist
(Just me having fun.)

2xFairy Dragons
Defias ringleader
You need early board control, the mill combos need you to survive past the early agression. Fake a tempo deck, it's the best way to avoid getting rushed too early.

Perdition blade
2xSA7Agent (it's the best rogue card, unless you don't have it, there's no reason to not put it in. Mill or not).
Mindcontrol tech
>Again, i'm surprised nobody thought of that. The weakness of mill is aggro, because they'll play everything you give them. So if they overextend, you have the tech as back-up. Further more, if you filled their hand, they will try to empty it as fast as possible, which means they are more than likely to put several minions at once.

Edwin Van Cleef
Not mandatory, but you shouldn't have trouble getting some value out of him. Don't waste all your cards on him though.

2xTwilight Drake
>Why am I the only one who thought of that. You will draw a lot of card too, you're guarantee to get decent value out of that drake. Just use it.

Assassinate. (kill a minion without needing a full hand, last resort).
Sprint (added value if you play it while cho is on board).
Mountain Giant
>Cf twilight Drake, only one though, because they are harder to play than the drake. You're no handlock.
Reply Quote
Where is leeroy in your deck? I use him before vanish to give my opponent extra whelps. This will fill his hand while denying him of his own stuff.
Reply Quote
I'm not a big fan of Leeroy in a control deck. Mill decks are supposed to be control decks, Leeroy is more of a finisher for aggro decks. Sure you can use Leeroy in your Milldeck, and the combo Leeroy+ vanish is pretty decent...
But you won't be milling anything with this combo, because if you can pull it off at 10 mana, your opponent is probably already half-dead anyway. And even if he isn't, the whelps are 0 mana, which means your opponent will just play them again next turn. So at worse, your opponent will burn one card.

I prefer using vanish while mukla is on the board: Smash, vanish, play mukla again. bananas are 1 mana and require a minion on the board, so they are much harder to discard than the whelps.
Reply Quote
So, what exactly should I mulligan for?
Reply Quote
If I'm facing aggro, I usualy mulligan for SA7 agent, backstab perdition blader, fairy dragon, and defias if I have the coin.

If I face something that isn't aggro, I don't Mulligan agressively. But Mukla is usualy good Oracles are risky, but I keep one sometimes if my starting hand is good enough. I'll even keep one twilight drake (again, if it's not aggro). But don't try to absolutely get all your mill cards as soon as the game starts. The ideal scenario is to get your mill cards when the opponents just used his card draw. If you start your mill combo too early, the opponent will keep his card draw in hand, and it won't be as easy to fill his hand.

I usualy mulligan cho if he is in my starting hand, not because I don't like him, but to not be tempted to play it too early.
Reply Quote
I'm surprised that I'm the only one that thought of that, but here's my Rogue Mill deck

Full deck without an explanation for copy pasta:
2x Shadowstep
2xBackstab

2xDeadly Poison

2x Sap
2xYouthful Brewmaster
Lorewalker Cho
Crazed Alchemist
2xFairy Dragons
Defias ringleader

Perdition blade
2x Coldlight Oracle
King Mukla
2xSA7Agent
Mindcontrol tech
Edwin Van Cleef

2xTwilight Drake

Assassinate.

2x Vanish
Sprint
Mountain Giant

Explanation:
Core:
2x Shadowstep

2x Sap
2xYouthful Brewmaster
Lorewalker Cho

2x Coldlight Oracle
King Mukla

2x Vanish

In my opinion those card are core, nobody should be surprised to see those there.

Complementary:
2xBackstab > control, and if you're smart you can give it to your opponent if you damage everysingle one of your guys, it will force him to use it on his own guys to get rid of it, or it will be a dead card in his hands.

2xDeadly Poison
>This one is the first one that I was surprised to not see in any of your deck. You play deadly poison with cho against a druid, a mage, a priest, or a warlock without jyraxus, they can't get rid of it. It's a dead card for the entire game in their hand.

Crazed Alchemist
(Just me having fun.)

2xFairy Dragons
Defias ringleader
You need early board control, the mill combos need you to survive past the early agression. Fake a tempo deck, it's the best way to avoid getting rushed too early.

Perdition blade
2xSA7Agent (it's the best rogue card, unless you don't have it, there's no reason to not put it in. Mill or not).
Mindcontrol tech
>Again, i'm surprised nobody thought of that. The weakness of mill is aggro, because they'll play everything you give them. So if they overextend, you have the tech as back-up. Further more, if you filled their hand, they will try to empty it as fast as possible, which means they are more than likely to put several minions at once.

Edwin Van Cleef
Not mandatory, but you shouldn't have trouble getting some value out of him. Don't waste all your cards on him though.

2xTwilight Drake
>Why am I the only one who thought of that. You will draw a lot of card too, you're guarantee to get decent value out of that drake. Just use it.

Assassinate. (kill a minion without needing a full hand, last resort).
Sprint (added value if you play it while cho is on board).
Mountain Giant
>Cf twilight Drake, only one though, because they are harder to play than the drake. You're no handlock.

I have thought about putting deadly poison in my deck. However while some classes don't have weapons and others only have a possibility of a weapon. I still like to play it safe. The other reason is I don't have any weapons in my deck.

I only use the wicked knife. I do however think the giant's could be pretty good. A lot of the time I get really low in some cases down to 2-1 hp. Being able to play free Molten giants that you could combo with could be very helpful.

Then their is the possibility of the mountain giants for when you have a full hand and both these and Sea giants could be great for aggro. I honestly don't really like Twilight Drakes. Yes they can come out with huge amounts of hp but they can also be silenced to a measly 1hp.

All in all I have thought about a lot of these choices it's just hard to replace things in the deck.

04/21/2014 08:59 PMPosted by SilentStorm
So, what exactly should I mulligan for?

As for Mulligans I usually try to get low cost stuff such as back-stabs, shivs, Defias ringleader, eviscerates. If you have mana wraith and the coin it can be pretty nice opener. Depending how things go getting a youthful brewmaster in the starting hand is pretty good.

I don't mind having Cho in my starting hand especially if I have a shadow-step. The reason is if your a few cards away from milling an opponents card or even destroying an opponents minion with a sap. Yet your not ready to commit to putting cho down.

You can put him down potentially play a few spells that will be useless to the opponent sap and then shadow-step cho back. Typically I will put Cho down when I have 6 mana with master of disguise.

Alternatively if you shadow-stepped cho you could possibly get him out with stealth on turn four.

If up against a paladin I sometimes like to keep a vanish in my opening hand. If I'm going against a druid Assassinate is usually in my opening hand if I get it. I don't mind having cold-light Oracles in my opening hand but don't really keep them unless I get a shadow-step.

Normally getting Cold-light Oracles a few turns into the game is usually good for me.
Reply Quote
I faced one of these with my Control Warrior last night and it was a horrible time, burned so many of my cards...turn 2 or 3 Mukla, then Coldlight Oracle, Shadowstep, Coldlight Oracle- I burn Alexstraza...it just goes downhill from there, filling my hand then sapping my Geddon killing it. My Acolyte of Pain didn't help the situation either... And one difference I noticed from this deck was that he finished me off with Arcane Golem + double Cold Bloods.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]