AoW... Truly not worth it?

I've seen a few threads on the merits / demerits of Ancient of War...

Personally, I'd rather have them in my deck than not as they are an effective damage sponge... but that does beg the question - why would I ever use them for the 10 attack when there are better ways to do it.

Ancient of Lore on the other hand... I won't even try and argue those are not one of the best cards for druids - they flat out are. But dang... it sure is nice to have that damage sponge of 10 life (assuming it doesn't get hard removed...)

So, AoW, truly not worth it? If not, then, what is a better choice?
Reply Quote
if Ancient of War gets the black night you will lose the tempo and probably the game. on other hand, ancient watcher are/used to be better cuz even if one of them dies you would still not lose the tempo due to low mana cost.

in this meta they are not bad again since everything is skewed to heavy control or aggro. well thats my opinion, others might disagree!
Edited by Attila on 4/11/2014 1:59 AM PDT
Reply Quote
04/11/2014 12:36 AMPosted by EscherVox
I've seen a few threads on the merits / demerits of Ancient of War...

Personally, I'd rather have them in my deck than not as they are an effective damage sponge... but that does beg the question - why would I ever use them for the 10 attack when there are better ways to do it.

Ancient of Lore on the other hand... I won't even try and argue those are not one of the best cards for druids - they flat out are. But dang... it sure is nice to have that damage sponge of 10 life (assuming it doesn't get hard removed...)

So, AoW, truly not worth it? If not, then, what is a better choice?

Its 8 cost, its only 1 minion. Way to high for me, I like more and smaller minions, just that I am an expert, but dropping such a high cost minion to have a rogue, mage, shaman or priest just make it worthless on their turn doesn't make sense. I like to use charge and be active rather than dropping a beast we can use until next time.
Reply Quote
Ancient of War costs 7, not 8. But main reason why I don't like AoW is that if its silenced, it becomes just Ancient of Lore without the battle cry, and silences are common enough, if it would keep the extra health after silence then I would like it a lot more.
Reply Quote
I've s
Reply Quote
I've found a good slot for him as the 7 mana is a hard shoe to fill. I've experimented with unleashing his more aggressive side, it's particularly good against hunters if you can ramp him out early enough, quite good to win the face battle.

Otherwise, i've yet to see him get the axe from black knight. I think in situations where AoW stands between you and a loss you would lose anyway.

My takeaway is that as a support card for previous turns it's quite good. On its own merit, I'd agree it's rather too vunerable to removals
Reply Quote
Just make sure to bait out removal with Ancients of Lore or bears, Ancient of War is also fantastic vs. Zoo since they have no removal except Soulfire which doesn't cut it, I managed to get one out on turn 3 and they immediately conceded
Reply Quote
AoW is worth it but its risky play....sunwalker is lil more safe play for 1 mana less.
Reply Quote
04/11/2014 08:49 PMPosted by Khymera
I've s

Looks like Khymera has been silenced.
('-')
Reply Quote
It's not a bad card but at 7 cost you're going to definitely want Ancient of Lore and it's hard to justify more than two 7 costs, especially if you have higher cost legendaries as well in your deck.
Reply Quote
thanks for the responses... I'm thinking more and more that Sunwatcher is probably the better choice for that slot - less cost as has been pointed out.

And yeah, the meta seems to be a bit more forgiving to AoW, but still it's a risk.
Reply Quote
I have both in (Sunwalker can get pinged and smacked and Silenced just as well...), but my deck has a lot of large minions, so even if he gets removed or Silenced, I don't care because they only have a limited amount of them.

As for the +5 attack mode, I usually only use it against Priest. If it gets MC'd, I have Starfall or a minion to remove it. Also, if there's a next turn lethal with the 10 attack (like, if I have AoW and another minion and he'll most likely only be able to remove one).
Reply Quote
I run one AoW and one AoL, and Rag. Those are my expensive end game minons and it seems to work out just fine. Rank 6 atm.
Reply Quote
04/14/2014 08:36 AMPosted by Boss44
I run one AoW and one AoL, and Rag. Those are my expensive end game minons and it seems to work out just fine. Rank 6 atm.

same here except with Ysera.

If I owned x2 AoL, I think I would keep running x1 AoW + x1 AoL, don't know why but usually the AoW makes me turn games around more than AoL.

If losing:
-AoW will probably give you 1 turn AND/OR he killing half his minions
-AoL the heal won't do much, the cards also won't make a difference unless you were expecting an AoE card

If winning:
-AoW insta win or wasted removal (to play bigger legendaries)
-AoL equally wins with the advantages it gives, but doesn't bait removals

If in turn 1-5:
-AoW: not usually worth Innervating (unless empty board vs some classes)
-AoL: worth Innervating anytime

It's ok to run x2 Lores or x1 x1, it is just matter of taste and probably the meta (guy that kills minion with Taunt I am watching you -.-)
Reply Quote
There are plenty of situations where up making AoW a 10/5 is useful.

For example against control Warrior after you've already baited both Executes and both Slams. Ancient can then go toe to toe with Gromash even.

Against a Mage that has already blown their Fireballs...if the damage would be more threatening than the taunt I will use AoW's attack because all you have to fear at this point is Poly and it's fonna have the same effect either way.

You would be surprised at how far erring on the side of aggression can carry even. Druid Contol deck...especially coupled with Charging Druids and Savage/Force.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]