Why ignore the most obvious solution to UTH "problem"

First of all, I would like to say that i am doing this post without almost any hope of changes on the card, it is mostly to express my ideas and hear some feedback.

Second, this is not whining at the very least, i think that so called "op" cards are present in every class and even neutrals so this is balance at some extent, so please don't flood the topic with those "whining" replies,thank you very much.

Now lets get to the point:
The most simple and elegant change that can be made is to change the number of hounds generated by the spell, i believe that this would make the card much better.

Some ideais on how to change the formula:

1-Generate hounds = [Number of enemy minions] -1: do not appear to change much thing but believe me, small changes can generate big effects especially on snowball cards like this.

2-Generate 1 hound for each minion you have in play: this way hunters now have a reason to use snake trap and come to think about it, with the buzzard and timber wolf you already have 2 minions so it don't make the combo impossible at any extent.

3-Generate 1 hound for each beast in play:Same as above but increasing the class flavor and generating interaction with enemy beasts.

4-Generate hounds = [Your number of mana cristals]/[2] (rounded down) : so this way you have a flexible card power(like in the original design) that scales as the game go foward and can make a maximum of 5 hounds which is enough for a 2 mana card.

I created all those for with one intent on mind: i think that the actual UTH is discouraging the players to use their minions too much, while AoE spells make you lose your minions/cards, this one can simply make you die instantly by doing it.

Thank for reading this all :-) , feel free to say your opinion or giving your own suggestions.
Edited by pedroEX on 4/9/2014 8:52 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Here's one:

Give all beasts +1 attack and charge.
Reply Quote
Hound generation is not the issue. The way it combos with other cards is. If you "fix" Buzzards, 3/4ths of the complaints about this card would simply disappear. It's as easy as keeping buzzards from letting someone draw until a beast dies, forcing board interaction. Anyone who overextended without proper defenses deserves to get torn up, simple as that.

04/09/2014 08:59 AMPosted by Cozmosus
Here's one:

Give all beasts +1 attack and charge.

THAT was the card's original effect. People screamed until it was changed to its current form, where it was overpriced, never played and Hunters became free kills.
Edited by RykerrK on 4/9/2014 9:00 AM PDT
Reply Quote
THAT was the card's original effect. People screamed until it was changed to its current form

Yes, that was indeed the joke.
Reply Quote
I said it in case the OP missed it. I didn't want them looking like a buffoon when they said "Yeah, that'd be better than this!"

04/09/2014 09:02 AMPosted by Cozmosus
THAT was the card's original effect. People screamed until it was changed to its current form

Yes, that was indeed the joke.
Reply Quote
So I've been kicking this idea around in my head for a while, and it's fairly similar to your list but I think it preserves the current card a little better while reducing the power of some of the combos:

"Summon hounds until you have as many minions in play as your opponent."

You can still drop Timber Wolves and stuff afterwards to buff the hounds, but playing Buzzard, Leeroy, etc. drops down the combo power by at least a unit.

Plus it opens up more opponent strategies for keeping weak minions alive that the hunter already has out, and more back and forth counterplay is always good.
Reply Quote
04/09/2014 09:08 AMPosted by bzakbzakbzak

That change is not enough.
Reply Quote
04/09/2014 09:16 AMPosted by Vold

Sounds fine to me, the card really isn't THAT broken, sure its a bit frustrating to play against, but without the combos its a dead card most of the time.
Reply Quote
The only solution to the UTH problem is, well, wait, there is no UTH problem, only people whining about a card being used as a combo like it was intended like many other heroes get to do with their cards.

With my priest deck, I made a 32/32 and hit the guy once and won. Gave a 0/4 +2 hp twice to make it a 4/8, doubled it's health twice, 4/8 -> 4/16 -> 4/32 then made it's attack equal it's health 32/32. Also had taunt because I used a Shieldbearer. All for the low, low cost of 8 mana.

Now I know I didn't have to go into detail as to how that happened but, suffice it to say, that combo is op if anything. How do you stop that if you don't have a creature with taunt out? You can't, and this can easily be done on turn 7 if you went second. All the while all you do is draw cards as much as you can to get the cards you need.

So let's just drop the UTH is a problem mindset, because there are far better combos out there.
Reply Quote

The whole point was not to actually change how the card is used or it's raw strength. UTH is a hot-button topic and the opinions about it's strength span the whole range from "Kill this card with fire" to "So easy to play around". I was looking for a way to alter the card without actually altering the strategies/decks it depends on.

I feel that summoning hounds until you have as many minions as your opponent would accomplish that. In a good number of situations, the card would be used both pre- or post-change, and the only difference would be the strength of the combos being reduced slightly (1 less card, 2 less attack, that sort of thing).

Since this card was not adjusted during the last patch, I don't think drastic changes to it's strength will be coming, so I tried to propose an alternative which doesn't do that.
Reply Quote
04/09/2014 09:36 AMPosted by bzakbzakbzak

The whole point was not to actually change how the card is used or it's raw strength. UTH is a hot-button topic and the opinions about it's strength span the whole range from "Kill this card with fire" to "So easy to play around". I was looking for a way to alter the card without actually altering the strategies/decks it depends on.

I feel that summoning hounds until you have as many minions as your opponent would accomplish that. In a good number of situations, the card would be used both pre- or post-change, and the only difference would be the strength of the combos being reduced slightly (1 less card, 2 less attack, that sort of thing).

Since this card was not adjusted during the last patch, I don't think drastic changes to it's strength will be coming, so I tried to propose an alternative which doesn't do that.

I am also for a subtle nerf for UTH, but that's just too subtle, IMO. I'd prefer it to cost mana based on the number of enemy minions [initial value = 0+X ; X = number of enemy minions].
Reply Quote
My idea:
Summon a 1/1 Hound for every enemy minion that has 3 or more attack.
That way, it won't benefit from Leroy's whelps and shaman and paladin can use their hero powers without downsides.
Reply Quote
04/09/2014 09:46 AMPosted by Armityle
My idea:
That way, it won't benefit from Leroy's whelps and shaman and paladin can use their hero powers without downsides.

Nice idea, although, make it 2 or more.
Reply Quote
04/09/2014 09:36 AMPosted by Slipstream
With my priest deck, I made a 32/32 and hit the guy once and won. Gave a 0/4 +2 hp twice to make it a 4/8, doubled it's health twice, 4/8 -> 4/16 -> 4/32 then made it's attack equal it's health 32/32. Also had taunt because I used a Shieldbearer. All for the low, low cost of 8 mana.

Now I know I didn't have to go into detail as to how that happened but, suffice it to say, that combo is op if anything. How do you stop that if you don't have a creature with taunt out? You can't, and this can easily be done on turn 7 if you went second. All the while all you do is draw cards as much as you can to get the cards you need.

That's a six card combo. Get five of those six cards and it's nothing more than a 0/32 blocker. Unleash the Hounds forms an effective combo with any one of the buzzard (x card draw and x damage), either wolf (2*x damage) or the hyena (3*x damage) or all of them.
Reply Quote
Summon 1/1charging Hounds until you have as many MINIONS as your opponent.

Very subtle and limits the interactions of Buzzard somewhat.

This is just assuming it even needs changed. Currently I find it to be a very powerful card but mainly due to the interactions it has when combod with other cards.

I dunno.

I do know that"if" there is a change it should be subtle and very slight.
Reply Quote
04/09/2014 09:53 AMPosted by Vold
04/09/2014 09:46 AMPosted by Armityle
My idea:

That WOULD give shamans a chance in hades, stop the Leeroy effect, and keep UTH working otherwise, and it fits with current mechanics.

I like it
Reply Quote
Make Timber Wolf a 2/1 for 2 mana.
Reply Quote
Here's my suggestion, and it's only that - have it summon 3 1/1 hounds with charge for three mana. That's it.

Then the card requires some tact to play - not a "stall the entire game until my opponent has more than 2 minions out play and I've got 3-4 cards that synergize with it.

This way it's basically a 3/3 minion that has the potential to synergize with other cards on a smaller scale. But has a benefit to saving it for the latter game, and everybody and uncle no longer has to build every deck in existence around this one card.

Especially since the card can effectively nullify your opponent's hero ability (I'm a believer that the hero ability shouldn't feel like a bad move, just an optional one.
Reply Quote
04/09/2014 10:05 AMPosted by Intoshadows
Summon 1/1charging Hounds until you have as many MINIONS as your opponent.

Very subtle and limits the interactions of Buzzard somewhat.

This is just assuming it even needs changed. Currently I find it to be a very powerful card but mainly due to the interactions it has when combod with other cards.

I dunno.

I do know that"if" there is a change it should be subtle and very slight.

Hey that sounds familiar....
Reply Quote
04/09/2014 10:06 AMPosted by Dakarian
04/09/2014 09:53 AMPosted by Vold

That WOULD give shamans a chance in hades, stop the Leeroy effect, and keep UTH working otherwise, and it fits with current mechanics.

I like it

You people act like we win every game....really we sit around a 50% win ratio, similar to every other hero......so someone has to be beating us. Unless of course we are all just quitting.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]