Can't Beat Zoo For The Life Of Me.

I run the standard warrior control deck, unless i get an insanely lucky draw, i cannot keep up with zoo, their hordes of minions chew through my armor too quickly, and i don't have enough removal/strong enough creatures to deal with them all.
Any tips or suggestions on this matchup?
Reply Quote
What's your deck like?

Try adding in 2xAbom
Reply Quote
My best advice is never use standard "netdecks". They are a good starting point but customize it to work better against what you are losing against. I was losing to zoolock and uth a lot. I got rid of my frothings and put in sen jins, worked pretty well for me. Aboms are also really strong. Faceless can be really strong if you can get it on Cairne
Reply Quote
04/11/2014 03:22 AMPosted by Breakfast
My best advice is never use standard "netdecks". They are a good starting point but customize it to work better against what you are losing against. I was losing to zoolock and uth a lot. I got rid of my frothings and put in sen jins

Exactly what he said I made similar alterations and in fact moved completely away from the trigger game with Armorsmith and AoP.
Reply Quote
Pray to RNGesus for brawl.
Reply Quote
I used to lose to it alot, but I'm on a streak against it. I mulligan aggressively for axes, smith, and I waste my spells on anything that moves. wolf gets slammed, or shield slammed if I have to. My armor is usually low without the perfect draw so execute is for doom guard. I shield block and draw for a fast baron/brawl.

It's super dependent on your starting hand, and I am occasionally foiled by a 4 hp void walker on turn 1 when I can't just axe through it. It can be won.
Reply Quote
if you want to gear towards zoo take out yeti/sejin and add arathi weaponsmith
Reply Quote
Zoo is an unfavorable match up. Taunts effectively negate fiery war axe, whirlwind is ineffective as there are very few 1 hp minions. You can tweak your deck to pay more focus to mid game with stuff like senjin and yeti.
Reply Quote
Play double win axe. Weaponsmith is fairly good as mentioned. Baron Geddon and brawl, and maybe add in a senjin or abomination or two.
Reply Quote
I added 2 mogu'shan wardens and make sure I have a brawl in my deck. I have plenty of card draw (acolyte of pain, shield block etc.) which allows my to get my hands on those cards. Brawl is straight up game over for Zoolocks and mogu'shan wardens slow them down severely as a doomguard is unable to kill them, and their minions are low health. You can follow up with a whirlwind to finish the low health minions off.
Reply Quote
If only it was that easy.
Reply Quote
I'm running the "legendary heavy, super late game" control warrior right now at rank 3.
So far, warlock zoo has been the only build that I have had VERY consistent win-rates against.
What I do is I aggressively mulligan for cleave, slam, shield slam and pretty much anything that can keep them under control.
As for the mid/late game once I'm out of those, I either brawl or baron geddon depending on which of them I draw into.

I might just be on a streak though. I dunno.
Reply Quote
04/20/2014 06:23 AMPosted by SlayerMordi
I'm running the "legendary heavy, super late game" control warrior right now at rank 3.
So far, warlock zoo has been the only build that I have had VERY consistent win-rates against.
What I do is I aggressively mulligan for cleave, slam, shield slam and pretty much anything that can keep them under control.
As for the mid/late game once I'm out of those, I either brawl or baron geddon depending on which of them I draw into.

Think youre just on a streak. On my run to legend one of the very decks that stopped me was zoo.
Reply Quote
04/20/2014 09:12 AMPosted by Egor
04/20/2014 06:23 AMPosted by SlayerMordi

Think youre just on a streak. On my run to legend one of the very decks that stopped me was zoo.

I've been playing for about 2 days now from ranks 5 to 2 where I'm currently at.
And I think I've lost one match against a warlock zoo deck of about maybe 12-14.

We might be playing different decks though. I'm running almost no minions for the early game, except the armor-smith, berserker and the acolyte. I generally tend to use removal aggressively in the early game against zoo, to NEVER let them get above 2 minions on the board and if I ever loose control, I brawl.

Once I'm at turn 7'ish I have cairne and/or geddon out and from that point onward I have 100% board control.
Edited by SlayerMordi on 4/20/2014 11:40 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I like playing against Zoo. Pyromancer, Geddon, and Senjins have been really valuable.

I don't know why everyone's running Gorehowl, but I think that's a big achilles heel for a lot of the straight netdecked warriors.

The other things I've really liked using are Taskmastering an armorsmith or acolyte of pain to take out the tougher ones, dropping a pyromancer/whirlwind to cut a 5 guy board to 2, and dropping a Senjin basically any time.

Seriously, Senjin is the MVP here. Very rare to see a Zoo deck running any removal outside Soulfire, and even in that case, it's going to cost a Warlock at least 2 cards to take down a shieldmasta, unless he's out of cards on turn 5 and he has a Soulfire/Doomguard. Again, seriously, when you play a Senjin against Zoo on turn 4, you're basically forcing the Warlock to play Naturalize, at a minimum. And nobody ever wants to play naturalize. It's too good.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]