Looking for deck advice

Hi all,
I'm looking for some advice on my priest deck i've been using on ranked. It's a control oriented deck which tries to wear the opponent down. I find it plays very consistently but somehow it's lacking somewhere, as I get stuck around rank 13-14 atm.
With this deck I always go to roughly 15 HP but by that time I tend to have board control and usually never give it again. However I find it makes me vulnerable to those 15 damage combos all classes except priests pull off end game. Half of my losses happen that way. I've tried taunts but that weakens the control ability too much, tried several other things as well but to no avail, also my 2 mana slot is weak but I see little options there. I'm saving for Ysera but that's still far off.

Anyway here's the deck

0 Circle of healing 2x
1 Northshire Cleric 2x
1 Lightwarden 2x
1 PW Shield 2x
2 Acidic Slime Ooze 1x
3 Earthen Ring Farseer 2x
3 Injured Blademaster 2x
3 SW Death 1x
4 Auchenai Soulpriest 2x
4 Chillwind Yeti 2x
4 Mass Dispel 1x
4 Shadow madness 1x
5 Holy Nova 2x
5 Faceless Manipulator 1x
6 Holy Fire 2x
6 Cabal Shadow Priest 1x
6 Temple Enforcer 2x
7 Prophet Velen 1x
10 Mind Control 1x
Edited by Vallkryst on 4/12/2014 10:33 AM PDT
Reply Quote
You could consider dropping Lightwarden for Sunfury Protector to put a few more roadblocks in the way of your opponent. Unless you find Lightwarden to be particularly effective, in my experience it almost never accomplishes anything. Getting a Blademaster up to a 4/7 and then making him a taunt on the next turn should make for a nice roadblock or get your opponent to burn some removal.

I'm personally not terribly fond of Shadow Madness or Cabal Shadow Priest, as they are cards that derive value from being very good in situations that you, for the most part, cannot manufacture. Mass Dispel is also a card I'm not terribly fond of, considering how infrequently it is better than the single target silences available from minions or from the priest class cards.
Reply Quote
Mass Dispel is really debatable indeed, works wonders when I meet another minion spamming warlock, but most of the time it ends up being an expensive dispel, could try the 4/3 with silence instead or simply the priests silence at 0 cost.

Cabal SP is tricky indeed, usually I can get her to work, but a 4/5 tends to be weak at that turn allready, just can't see anything better to put it, might try an ogre (6/7) or maybe the knight that summons 4/4 +2/2.

As for Lightwarden, I used to run one but due to the amount of amazing things she did for me i started running 2. Most of the time i'm able to trade them well.

Could try to add Sunfiry protector but I might have to replace the acidic slime with it, another card which i'm not really sure about, sometimes it rocks, usually it's jsut a 3/2.
Reply Quote
I play with priest a lot and I have a control deck. It evolved over the last month a bit and an interesting thing I found out was that the Northshire cleric is not realy worth it. It is a weak card that puts almost no pressure on the board. Yes, you can draw with it, but that means playing it + another card (or spend 2 mana on power) + also requiring a specific situation to actualy work. I found that better than all that, just replace the Cleric with another card in the deck, which means that instead of drawing Cleric + spending resources doing combo and drawing a card, you will simly already have another card in the hand instead of the Cleric + all the unspent mana + another spot in the deck list.
A similar situation applies to the PW: Shield, but thats heavily deck dependant.

Also, Shadow madness and Cabal shadow priest are realy worth running double.
Reply Quote
i'm also playing priest control on ladder, rank 12 and increasing
my deck list off memory:
2x Northshire cleric
2x Power word shield
1x Lightwarden
2x Holy smite
2x Shadow word pain
2x Ooze
1x Thoughtsteal
2x Harvest golem
1x Injured blademaster
2x Shadow word death
2x Chillwind yeti
2x Lightspawn
1x Shieldmasta
2x Holy nova
2x Holy fire
2x Temple enforcer
1x Cabal shadow priest
1x Mind control

Im still building up my collection, so if i had the cards i would add another thoughtsteal, blademaster and a cabal shadow priest. i would also add cairne and rag.
Reply Quote
04/12/2014 11:20 AMPosted by Vorochi
You could consider dropping Lightwarden for Sunfury Protector to put a few more roadblocks in the way of your opponent. Unless you find Lightwarden to be particularly effective, in my experience it almost never accomplishes anything. Getting a Blademaster up to a 4/7 and then making him a taunt on the next turn should make for a nice roadblock or get your opponent to burn some removal.

I'm personally not terribly fond of Shadow Madness or Cabal Shadow Priest, as they are cards that derive value from being very good in situations that you, for the most part, cannot manufacture. Mass Dispel is also a card I'm not terribly fond of, considering how infrequently it is better than the single target silences available from minions or from the priest class cards.

lightwarden is a great card. its super good against aggro opponents, because if it gets out of control (health buff) it can start trading with the opponents minions all while increasing its attack (once i had a 7 - 4 one!) Shadow madness i find is way too situational, although it can be amazing when you steal a loot horder or harvest golem. Mass dispel, in my opinion, is a terrible card. might as well replace it with a spellbreaker.
Reply Quote
04/12/2014 10:31 AMPosted by Vallkryst
Hi all,
I'm looking for some advice on my priest deck i've been using on ranked. It's a control oriented deck which tries to wear the opponent down. I find it plays very consistently but somehow it's lacking somewhere, as I get stuck around rank 13-14 atm.
With this deck I always go to roughly 15 HP but by that time I tend to have board control and usually never give it again. However I find it makes me vulnerable to those 15 damage combos all classes except priests pull off end game. Half of my losses happen that way. I've tried taunts but that weakens the control ability too much, tried several other things as well but to no avail, also my 2 mana slot is weak but I see little options there. I'm saving for Ysera but that's still far off.

Anyway here's the deck

0 Circle of healing 2x
1 Northshire Cleric 2x
1 Lightwarden 2x
1 PW Shield 2x
2 Acidic Slime Ooze 1x
3 Earthen Ring Farseer 2x
3 Injured Blademaster 2x
3 SW Death 1x
4 Auchenai Soulpriest 2x
4 Chillwind Yeti 2x
4 Mass Dispel 1x
4 Shadow madness 1x
5 Holy Nova 2x
5 Faceless Manipulator 1x
6 Holy Fire 2x
6 Cabal Shadow Priest 1x
6 Temple Enforcer 2x
7 Prophet Velen 1x
10 Mind Control 1x

in my opinion, you shouldnt get ysera, cairne bloodholf is much better.
Reply Quote
I was thinking Ysera as a finisher late game. Cairne is a good card I could use instead of Cabal SP, would make for a strong midgame indeed.
It's just that the plays I've seen from Ysera (against me) have been far more impressive than Cairne.
Still a while to get the dust before I need to decide though :)
Reply Quote
The other week I had the dust to craft a legendary and was debating between Rag and Ysera, I went with Ysera and kind of regret it. There are many times where you have 9 mana but your board is empty and they have 1-2 minions in play and you can't afford the turn playing her.
Rag in this situation is different as it could kill one of them.

Ysera isn't bad, but I believe Rag is better as it does something immediately.
I would personally craft Rag over Cairne.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]