[Suggestion] Totemic Call

Greetings, all.

As a disclaimer, I don't play; I just watch. That said, this suggestion doesn't necessarily require experience.

Of all the hero powers, Totemic Call is by far the most random; my suggestion is intended to allow players to manage that randomness more than they currently can.

Current implementation: Totemic Call summons a random totem; 2 mana
My suggestion: Totemic Call adds a random totem (all of which cost zero mana) to the player's hand; 2 mana

Example: I use Totemic Call; a Healing Totem is added to my hand (instead of appearing in play). For exactly zero mana, I can play the Healing Totem now; or I can save it for a situation when I need it. The randomness of Totemic Call is maintained; you still have a one in four chance of getting a specific totem. Now, though, you have the option of hoarding your totems and spending them as necessary.

This means that Totemic Call now functions similarly to the Warlock's Life Tap, but instead of drawing a card from your deck, it gives your hand an effectively random card.

Discuss?
Edited by Gaius on 4/12/2014 7:58 PM PDT
Reply Quote
04/12/2014 07:57 PMPosted by Gaius
Greetings, all.

As a disclaimer, I don't play; I just watch. That said, this suggestion doesn't necessarily require experience.

Of all the hero powers, Totemic Call is by far the most random; my suggestion is intended to allow players to manage that randomness more than they currently can.

Current implementation: Totemic Call summons a random totem; 2 mana
My suggestion: Totemic Call adds a random totem (all of which cost zero mana) to the player's hand; 2 mana

Example: I use Totemic Call; a Healing Totem is added to my hand (instead of appearing in play). For exactly zero mana, I can play the Healing Totem now; or I can save it for a situation when I need it. The randomness of Totemic Call is maintained; you still have a one in four chance of getting a specific totem. Now, though, you have the option of hoarding your totems and spending them as necessary.

This means that Totemic Call now functions similarly to the Warlock's Life Tap, but instead of drawing a card from your deck, it gives your hand an effectively random card.

Discuss?

I l think that if you use totemic call you get to chose between two totems chosen randomly!(like huters tracking,,,,the choosing part)
This will lower the rng and make your play a bit better!
For sure this is the right thing to do and is still not OP! you just have a larger horrizon of choosing
Reply Quote
04/13/2014 03:25 AMPosted by TheShredder

I l think that if you use totemic call you get to chose between two totems chosen randomly!(like huters tracking,,,,the choosing part)
This will lower the rng and make your play a bit better!
For sure this is the right thing to do and is still not OP! you just have a larger horrizon of choosing

This would also work, but it would take some of the randomness out of the ability. My understanding of statistics is rather limited, but it seems to me that being allowed to choose one of two results is half as random as one result.

My suggestion doesn't remove any randomness; you are simply allowed to choose when you play your randomized result.

Mind you, your suggestion isn't necessarily bad, but I think it is more drastic than mine, and I don't have the experience to comment.
Reply Quote
Hmm, I'm honestly not sure. The more I think about it, the more it could potentially unbalance things. If you hoard 3+ 0 mana totems and then play them all at once, you could easily flood the board. Then next turn you just use bloodlust (let's assume you're confident your opponent has used their AOE spells), BAM, like 9+ damage right there. Where right now I am only going to flood the board with totems if a) you play poorly b) I play really well c) some combination of a+b.

So, while I want to like the idea, I think it would probably unbalance the class. Another example, you could hoard 2 or more spell damage totems, play them both down (for 0 mana!) and then you've just added 2+ damage to your lightning storm, lava burst, whatever and your opponent has absolutely no counter whatsoever.
Reply Quote
Sadly, while the idea seems good, it would actually be rather unbalanced. Here's some quick thoughts I came up with for abusing it.

Synergy #1: Turn 4 Mountain Giants - no hero health loss like warlock
Synergy #2: No cost minions into cheap Sea Giant
Synergy #3: No cost minions into buffed Frostwolf Warlord
Synergy #4: Twilight Drake nearly maxed on health buff in early game - no hero health loss like warlock
Synergy #5: Illidan - Play Illidan + 3 totems to fill board with 7 minions on turn 7
Synergy #6: Questing Adventurer - every saved totem is a permanent +1/+1 for Adventurer
Synergy #7: Stockpiling totems for value buffs (ie, Defender of Argus)

I'm sure there are more, of both stronger and weaker synergy. But I'd immediately switch to a Twilight Drake/Mountain Giant/Sea Giant burst shaman deck. Even Warlock giant decks don't use Sea Giants! O_O With Illidan as well, probably questing adventurers, and a Bloodlust. Warlock may be able to make a strong giant deck, but they are limited by mana each turn. We'd have a different take on it, unrestrained by the mana of playing additional minions so we can flood the board when needed, only play totems when we have a buff for them or need their ability like a healing totem, etc.
Edited by Ranilin on 4/14/2014 1:45 PM PDT
Reply Quote
O_O

Holy moly.

THIS is where experience would come in handy.

Thanks for the write-ups, guys!

Based on your remarks, it occurs to me that my suggestion would only work if there was a limit (let's say, one) on the number of totems summoned by Totemic Call (as opposed to other totems, which come directly from cards) that could be in play at any given time.

With that stipulated, which do you prefer?
1). The current system, which can be kinda summed up as, "Come on, RNG, give me the totem I need... damn!"
2). My suggestion, with a one-totem limit, summed up as, "Well, I got a Stoneclaw Totem; do I play it now or hoard it with my other totems, waiting for the opportune moment to play it?"

What do you think?
Edited by Gaius on 4/14/2014 9:48 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I still think it would make Giant-based decks too strong for shamans. I'll try to give an idea of it without being as specific as a complete sequence of plays, instead more of a "possible" plays on each turn.

Going first, you add two totems to hand by the start of turn 4. That's 3 starting cards, 2 totems, and 4 draws for 9 cards in hand. That's a 4 mana 4/8 Twilight Drake, or a 4 mana 8/8 Mountain Giant and you are at 8 cards still in hand. Let's assume it immediately dies (if it doesn't, you will likely win, lol).

At turn 5, you could hero power into a 3 mana 8/8 Mountain Giant, and you now have 3 of the 4 possible totems in hand. Or just a 4/9 Twilight Drake with one mana left over for something else. Don't have the good stuff and need a board presence? Questing Adventurer into 3 totems for a 5/5, then Flametongue/Mana Tide Totem for 6/6. Would be a great reason to run the +2 health buff for totems, too, which would make your board almost unclearable at this point (plus it's 0 cost, heh, more adventurer buffs!).

At turn 6, you may be at 10 cards in hand if you only played two so far. A Mountain Giant + Feral Spirit turn, perhaps?

Turn 7 has multi-options! If you Feral Spirited on turn 6, you will likely have at least ONE minion alive still. You play three totems and Frostwolf Warlord for yet another 8/8. If you didn't use Feral Spirit, you could play Illidan and 3 totems for a 7/5, 3x 2/1, and the totems. If you didn't FS, you probably have a 4th totem in hand now. If there are three minions on the board total, you could play 2x Sea Giant after playing out the totems in hand for only 6 mana.

Turn 8: Questing Adventurer, 4x Totem, 9/9 Frostwolf Warlord. Adventurer is now a 7/7 as well, giving you two silence targets instead of being as vulnerable as having just one.

At this point, you might as well throw our Earth Elementals into the deck - them being removed actually isn't that big a deal since we'll just be rolling out big dude after big dude after big dude. At low costs. When we start to get low on health, then Molten Giants start popping out. That would be 6 giants at 8/8, 2 drakes at varying 7-10 health, 2 Frostwolf warlords that will likely be 7/7+, two earth elementals at 7/8, 2x questing adventurers that could be played as big as 6/6.

Then again.. maybe I'm just thinking about it too much. :)
Edited by Ranilin on 4/15/2014 2:12 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Like the idea but its too strong.

Unless altered it would allow shaman to have multiple of the same totem easily.

If allowed to get them in hand instead of in play they would all have to be slightly worse. The totems except searing are so strong to offset the randomness. I would like to see a card like shadow form for shaman to allow more control or buff to the totems summoned.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]