can hunters only rush?

Can a hunter play a long game? What would the deck look like. Vs a priest I can't see a hunter ever winning a normal game.
Reply Quote
Hunters are moving away from rush because hunter rush decks lose near 100% to warrior control, and struggle against druids or any taunt heavy deck.

Hunters are starting to play midrange decks and running cards like Savannah Highmane, houndmasters.
I doubt hunters will ever be played as late game control decks, but the days of running wolf riders and arcane golems is gone, too many warrior decks out there.
Reply Quote
04/12/2014 04:17 PMPosted by MadJohnny
Hunters are moving away from rush because hunter rush decks lose near 100% to warrior control, and struggle against druids or any taunt heavy deck.

Hunters are starting to play midrange decks and running cards like Savannah Highmane, houndmasters.
I doubt hunters will ever be played as late game control decks, but the days of running wolf riders and arcane golems is gone, too many warrior decks out there.

We also lack longevity vs other classes due to a lack of healing/armor building. This also is exacerbated by the fact that beast synergy is lacking. I see beast synergy mentioned fairly often, but not the lack of survivability. our class' design very one-dimensional.
Reply Quote
Hunter's class design is indeed 1 dimensional, but that doesn't mean that Hunters can't play the mid-range and even control game. All it means is that no matter what deck archetype you choose, you're always going to be aggressive. Control Hunter actually works very well, basically use your secrets, weapon and other removal spells to consistently clear the board, much like Control Warrior does, just that instead of finishing the game with Alexstrasza into Grommash Hellscream, instead you're constantly chipping away at your opponent with your hero power and whichever minions you manage to preserve on your own board. So basically what happens is that Hunter mid-range is the most aggressive of the mid-range deck types, and Hunter control is the most aggressive of the control deck types, but they still remain true to their nature, so Hunter mid-range still plays the control game against aggressive decks and Hunter control still plays the control game against aggro and mid-range decks. It's only when facing the same archetype, so mid-range vs mid-range or control vs control that Hunter becomes the aggressor by default due to the class design being so 1 dimensional.
Reply Quote
i really really wanted to stay away from uth its just that hunters have no drawing power outside of uth and buzzard(and you gotta hope your opponent is the ones that flood the board and run to the forums crying for a nerf) i really tried not using uth but i have to otherwise by turn 8 at the latest i'm topdecking or lost if i'm not

and our only beasts that have more than 5 health and over 4 attack is what 5(and 3 r legendary), 6 if you even remove the 4 attack ? the majority of our class beasts have 1 health, and most in the 2-3 health range a stiff breeze would kill the majority of our beasts
Edited by Piviot on 4/12/2014 8:00 PM PDT
Reply Quote
04/12/2014 03:46 PMPosted by Trouter
Can a hunter play a long game? What would the deck look like. Vs a priest I can't see a hunter ever winning a normal game.

You are 1 month too late. Hunter has already move to a mid game deck where highmanes, hyenas, houndmasters, king mukla and a few other cards are being run.

The primary reason for this, is that the old aggro/combo hunter is relatively weak vs control and aggro warrior, as well as weak against a lot of heal or taunt for e.g. a mid range priest, druid, or a healing paladin.

The current iterations of hunter that are seen at the highest level of play are now mid range decks, that still include leeroy as a win condition, the traps + weapon for early control, and buzzard + unleash for mostly card draw. This is somewhat like the tempo rogue and mid range shaman play style, where they go for a lot of early control and have a big burst at the end given the right draw and board condition but can also slowly chip you down if you don't react sufficiently.
Reply Quote
04/12/2014 07:20 PMPosted by OwlRaider
Hunter's class design is indeed 1 dimensional, but that doesn't mean that Hunters can't play the mid-range and even control game. All it means is that no matter what deck archetype you choose, you're always going to be aggressive. Control Hunter actually works very well, basically use your secrets, weapon and other removal spells to consistently clear the board, much like Control Warrior does, just that instead of finishing the game with Alexstrasza into Grommash Hellscream, instead you're constantly chipping away at your opponent with your hero power and whichever minions you manage to preserve on your own board. So basically what happens is that Hunter mid-range is the most aggressive of the mid-range deck types, and Hunter control is the most aggressive of the control deck types, but they still remain true to their nature, so Hunter mid-range still plays the control game against aggressive decks and Hunter control still plays the control game against aggro and mid-range decks. It's only when facing the same archetype, so mid-range vs mid-range or control vs control that Hunter becomes the aggressor by default due to the class design being so 1 dimensional.

I noticed a few things though that, in my opinion, makes hunter control less effective than other class control decks. First, a majority of our removal relies on specific conditions or RNG. This means that even the slightest bit of bad luck loses the game for you. If your opponent is experienced and knowledgeable enough, they can also render your removal worthless. This puts you [I]way[/I] behind, thereby forcing you to play catch-up. Another major difference I see when comparing a hunter control deck to other control decks is the survivability aspect. A warrior control deck, for instance, can play into the late game because it can, using it's superior survivability, nullify counter-pressure and prolong them game. This as you have pointed out, works in their favor with their stronger late-game minions. Your minions' attacks are reduced (to 0 if they have high enough) by the amount of armor they have, effectively giving them an extra turn to respond and re-gain board control. This is why control warriors, watcher druids, and paladins give us such problems.

Anyways, let me know what you think.

Speedwell
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]