Shamans OP?

Currently playing a Pally at rank 11 (was rank 10) and I have to say, of all the classes, Shamans just seem to be ridiculously overpowered. I lose to all classes but no other class do I get beaten by every single time other than a Shaman. Maybe they are just very effective against Pallys but they just seem to have an answer to everything.

Great AOE (2-3 damage and more if spell power totem is down)
Hexes
Silence cards for 1 mana cost (that also does 1 damage)
Great class minions (e.g. one that has 3 damage on battlecry and are still a hefty 6 5 minion, or 2 2/3 wolves for 3 mana wtf!).
A totem that's basically a pre-nerf Nat Padle

I know they have the mana cost for some of their class specifics but it doesn't seem to balance out the effectiveness of their cards.

I've tried playing around with my deck but just don't seem to be able to have a chance against them. Is anyone having this problem?
Reply Quote
I've hovered around rank 9-11 this past weekend and i agree Shaman can be very frustrating because of how fast they can fill up the board with their hero power and throw down the flame totems.

Recently though, i've had better success with them, probably 50/50 at this point after going winless for a bit, but really it comes down to what everybody says, make the right play, dont over commit and know when to use certain spells.

one thing i noticed was i may have used board clears too early, whenever i saw they had like 4 or 5 on the board, i would use a board clear, what i didn't realize is that 3 or 4 that are on the board are totems and maybe one minion. So essentially i just wasted a board clear to just to clear totems, so i've tried to do a better job and just evaluating the board and try to trade. It has worked somewhat, doing much better than before.

Sometimes just to get board advantage early, throw down minions you wouldnt normally throw down until later. I'll throw down a sunfire, or farseer just to get minions on the board. If you wait, you become reactive and fall behind. So dont be afraid to play cards you wouldn't normally play, that isn't saying throw down aldor for the hell of it because that card is too valuable, but i'll throw dow a pyro, sunfire or farseer if i can get sometimes on the board first or at least they will waste one of their spells early on.

Classes i have trouble more than shaman

Warlock (of course the zoo)
Priest
Hunter (now with the new midrange hunter)
Reply Quote
Thanks for the advice, I'll try putting some of this into practice. I was aware of the mistake of early board wipe, when they mainly have totems down but you have some good pointers, cheers :)
Reply Quote
04/21/2014 03:04 AMPosted by Buzzcat
Currently playing a Pally at rank 11 (was rank 10) and I have to say, of all the classes, Shamans just seem to be ridiculously overpowered. I lose to all classes but no other class do I get beaten by every single time other than a Shaman.

I have to laugh at this... Shaman give me no trouble what so ever.. however Priests.. they are the bane of my existence. I literally have to take a deep breath every time I see a Priest.. because I know it's going to be LONG game, I feel exhausted trying to be strategic, this drives me to drink while playing :)

Shaman are easy just keep a 2 damage on the board, they can't use totem.. and use AOE like desecration.. you wipe them out easy.. I never have trouble.. Locks are easy, so are Rogue.

The most trouble for me is Priest, Warrior (aggro deck) and Mage.. mages are a PITA when they use freeze and elemental I can't use my weapon.

Other that that hunter depends if they come after me early.. I have a mix mid \control deck.. I can do 50% hunter.. wins. The easiest class by far is warlock.. I am like 90% against them. I probably just jinxed myself.. but I LOVE playing against lock.

Another Paladin is difficult as well.. depending on if they use early or late cards.
Edited by Slipstream on 4/21/2014 1:17 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I've hovered around rank 9-11 this past weekend and i agree Shaman can be very frustrating because of how fast they can fill up the board

Sometimes just to get board advantage early, throw down minions you wouldnt normally throw down until later. I'll throw down a sunfire, or farseer just to get minions on the board. If you wait, you become reactive and fall behind.

Of all the classes I would say Shaman are the ones you LEAST want to fall behind, it can get ugly real quick with taunt totem and wind furry... you have to stay competitive until turn 4 or 5 as much as possible.

I agree with that.. don't fall behind, ESPECIALLY shaman (and hunter) if you can help it. However what the other poster said about totems that's what you WANT to clear in my opinion, they get the most buffs.. the minions don't have much at least from what I have seen.. I lost more often when I leave the totems alone.
Edited by Slipstream on 4/21/2014 1:21 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Clearing totems are important, i did not say ignore them or not clear them. The preferred way to clear them especially early game is by trading which i stated. Whether using your weapon or get minions on the board first and making good trades.

What happens a lot of time is that people may see 4 or 5 minions on the board, 3 or 4 of them which are totems and immediately go with the board clear whether pyro+equality or consecrate + equality, what im saying is if you just step back and re-evaluate the board, really, they may have one threat out there and you could potentially take the damage now and it may be best to try to trade instead of going for the board clears. Every situation is different, but my point was, you could of probably cleared the board using trades and dropping minions instead of wasting a board clear combo when it would of been more valuable later in the game.
Reply Quote
As someone who plays a shaman a lot I can give you a few hints. Some of our biggest weaknesses is getting rushed down early, overload, and a lack of healing.

I've ran across a few pally aggro decks that seem to do quite well against me. Sword of Justice and Knife thrower are especially annoying to deal with.

2 2/3 wolves for 3 mana wtf!

Yeah but those wolves have 2 overload on them which limits our mana the next turn. So if I cast the wolves on turn 3, on turn 4 I will have 4 mana - 2 overload = 2 mana for that turn which I can't do much with. Whereas you will have 4 mana, which you can use on a chillwind yeti or a truesilver champion which will take care of those wolves nicely.

Many of shaman spells have overload which limits our mana on the next turn. Take advantage of your extra mana to regain board control.

Finally shaman lack healing. So if you play a paladin control deck you can outlast them by putting in some healing minions/spells. Lay on hands and Guardian of Kings are especially good.

Hope it helps!
Reply Quote
i have 6 straight wins against shaman, trading with them is the way you have to beat them, save your board clears and sometimes just use equality to trade. You don thave to do a equality + consecarte or pyro and equality, sometimes just doing a equality and trade with recruits on board.

most of my games against shaman last awhile though that is the crappy part, but i'll take the win

ON the other hand, i can not beat zoolock or hunter at all. Hunter, had major success in the beginning with no problems beating them until the new midrange kolento hunter beame the thing this past week. Now i can't beat them. The UTH is just overpowering and paladin too slow to do anything about it.

Oh well, so now, i am beating druid/warrior/shaman/paladin regularly. I am now having trouble with mages, seems to be a mage rush deck that is out there right now.
Reply Quote
Referring to what was previously said..

When it comes to shaman they can fill up their side of the board very quickly, with the feral wolves, totems, etc. So you HAVE to save your board clears for when they are most effective. You will end up taking some damage in doing so, but generally early on they don't have a lot of damage, just a few minions with small damage and totems.

It's tempting to clear 3 totems and the wolves on turn 4 with a pyro+equality combo, but if you just soak up the 5-7 damage for that turn, next turn you know he's going to play one or two more cards, then you clear them all out and make him lose those extra cards.

You only have so many board clears, so make sure to use them wisely (same goes for the peacekeepers). That's about the gist of it... but you're right, even by being careful this way the shaman is still incredibly strong and you won't win every game. However, you won't lose every game either.
Reply Quote
04/21/2014 01:10 PMPosted by Slipstream
Currently playing a Pally at rank 11 (was rank 10) and I have to say, of all the classes, Shamans just seem to be ridiculously overpowered. I lose to all classes but no other class do I get beaten by every single time other than a Shaman.

I have to laugh at this... Shaman give me no trouble what so ever.. however Priests.. they are the bane of my existence. I literally have to take a deep breath every time I see a Priest.. because I know it's going to be LONG game, I feel exhausted trying to be strategic, this drives me to drink while playing :)

Shaman are easy just keep a 2 damage on the board, they can't use totem.. and use AOE like desecration.. you wipe them out easy.. I never have trouble.. Locks are easy, so are Rogue.

The most trouble for me is Priest, Warrior (aggro deck) and Mage.. mages are a PITA when they use freeze and elemental I can't use my weapon.

Other that that hunter depends if they come after me early.. I have a mix mid \control deck.. I can do 50% hunter.. wins. The easiest class by far is warlock.. I am like 90% against them. I probably just jinxed myself.. but I LOVE playing against lock.

Another Paladin is difficult as well.. depending on if they use early or late cards.

See, that's funny, cause I don't have that much trouble with priests. Just had a close game with one just now that I won, but the only class I facepalm over is a Shammy.

Some good advice though guys, thanks :)
Reply Quote
Just an update. Managed to beat my first shammy with my Pally in ages. Was a close one, but changes to my deck seem to have paid off!
Reply Quote
In regards to my last post, I still hate shaman with a passion. Probably more than any other class.. and yeah, that includes the zoo and huntards. Hex, silence, lightning strike, fire elementals, feral wolves.. Just makes ya want to bash your head on a wall.
Reply Quote
shamans are ridiculously OP they clean everything and then 1 bloodlust and you lose..its not even funny
Reply Quote
hmm what changes?could you tell us the most crucial cards against shaman?besides equalitty and consecration i guess those 2 are standard
Reply Quote
They have hex, silence, bolt, that double bolt, fire elemental, aoe and wolfs.

So we have aldor, consecration, equality, true silver champion, avenging wrath and some healing they don't have.

All classes are pretty balanced. They got some good cards, so do we.

The thing every shaman players wants is to have a lot of totems so they can buff them. My first strategy is to clean them all, sometimes I can do 4 damage with a Yeti but I prefer to destroy a totem, cause even that damage a shaman it's a good strategy, they'got no heal at all, but you left a totem, and when you see there are 4 of them, all bloodlusted and eating you.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]