Question to high-level Shaman Players

So I've been grinding on my F2P NA account and opened Al'Akir in a pack today.
I've pretty much never played Shaman, so I figured since I already have Leeroy, I might as well throw Al'Akir in and build-up that Burst/Combo deck.
So my question is, how effective is it in the Legendary-rank 5 range? I could de Al'Akir and mostly finish a Watcher Druid instead, but...well, disenchanting a solid legendary makes me have a sad.
Reply Quote
04/13/2014 10:40 PMPosted by VSarius
So I've been grinding on my F2P NA account and opened Al'Akir in a pack today.
I've pretty much never played Shaman, so I figured since I already have Leeroy, I might as well throw Al'Akir in and build-up that Burst/Combo deck.
So my question is, how effective is it in the Legendary-rank 5 range? I could de Al'Akir and mostly finish a Watcher Druid instead, but...well, disenchanting a solid legendary makes me have a sad.

It depends on taste. Al'Akir is independently good while Leeroy isn't. I personally prefer Al'Akir because his intro animation is **awesome** and I feel like it's more of a solid choice.

But as I said it depends on taste so experiment around a little bit, and he's definitely usable at higher levels
Reply Quote
Yes it is taste, but Leeroy fits into multiple decks and Al'Akir and Leeroy have no synergy whatsoever in the same shaman deck.

This is because your typical finishers are:

Budget Shamans:

Argent Commander + Windfury + Rockbiter
Bloodlust

Non Budget Shamans

Leeroy + Windfury
Al Akir/Doomhammer + Rockbiter

Looking at that it is not a good idea to put leeroy and Al Akir in the same deck since he has 0 synergy with one of your combo cards which is windfury (unless he is silenced). Taking out something from a typical shaman deck is also pretty rough since you already run a very delicate spell/minion combination as the backbone of your gameplay.
Reply Quote
Do NOT DE any of your Legendary cards ever! The Meta changes week to week and you never know when a certain card will be a must to have in your deck. As for Al' Akir, he is a really good card and I always run him in my shaman deck. He works well as a finisher with Flametongue+Rockbitter, or as a double minion clear.

Legendary Rank 5 means nothing as to whether Al' Akir is worthy at that status/ranking. That's like asking if you should run a Leper Gnome in your deck at rank 1. If it fits in your deck at rank 20, and has proven worthy, then by all means keep him in your deck no matter what rank you are.

Hitting Legendary status is not all that hard. You can absolutely make a mistake and still win the game. But when you try and reach the top 10, it's all about out playing your opponent. You can't afford to make any mistakes.
Edited by Wix on 4/14/2014 7:13 AM PDT
Reply Quote
To clarify, this account already has Leeroy. On my main I think I have both, but Casual is not a great testing ground and I'm reluctant to go on Ranked with a new deck since I landed in top 100 during the rush and I don't want to risk rank...yet.

I understand the usability of a card is independent of rank, I was more curious to hear some of the higher ranked Shaman players on how the class performs in that range. In particular how the usual match-ups are, in super-particular, how does it fare vs. Control Warrior and Watcher Druid, as is I have a pretty much fully decked out Zoo and Cycle Hunter, I can manage those games with Cycle Hunter but they are ridiculously close most of the time, so having another deck that can perform vs. them would be nice in my rotation.

This accounts goal is pretty much just hitting top 100 Legendary at least, so collector value doesn't really come into the equation.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]