Priests give me the most trouble.

I'm curious what it is that has everyone up in arms about priests being the worst class. I understand that they have the worst stats and everything in terms of win percentage, but why is it that they are considered so weak? In my experience, no class has given me as much trouble as priests. Whenever I play them, it feels like no matter what I do, they have an answer for it (mind control, destroying minions, etc.) and then some and their card draw seems pretty powerful, though RNG-based, through their ability to take cards from your deck. I'm not claiming that they are powerful by any means, just that they give me, personally, the most trouble and I need to figure out how to play against them better. I'm curious what it is that causes priests to be considered so weak and what I can do to exploit that.
Reply Quote
04/12/2014 12:47 PMPosted by pavi
but why is it that they are considered so weak?

Extremely bad and situational removals. You need to be lucky to have right ones at the right time.
4-attack blind spot with holy fire being the only spell that does significant damage. Someone plays a yeti or a druid of the claw and he immediately gets card and/or tempo advantage over you.

No good AoE. Holy nova costs too much, Auchenai + CoH is a combo. There is also wild pyro, but you need to combo him with spells, which is hard to do early.

Only viable deck archetype for priest is control, and to be able to control the board with priest, you need to run a bunch of crutches in your deck to be able to do anything, and that makes it very spell-heavy (which causes inconsistency). You also heavily depend on combos, which makes the deck even more inconsistent.

Those are main reasons why priest is objectively weaker than all other classes. For example, mage is also weak, but mage can at least control the board consistently with versatile removals, that can also be used as finishers.
Reply Quote
I agree that holy nova is too expensive, but on the other hand, Consecrate is only 1 cheaper and has no heal. There is no way Holy nova is getting cheaper, unless huge changes happen.

A suggestion would be to make it a "choose the effect" card, so you could eventualy boost the damage and cancel the heal effect, but that wouldnt match the WoW skill effect.
Reply Quote
04/12/2014 01:13 PMPosted by biogoo
I agree that holy nova is too expensive, but on the other hand, Consecrate is only 1 cheaper and has no heal. There is no way Holy nova is getting cheaper, unless huge changes happen.

A suggestion would be to make it a "choose the effect" card, so you could eventualy boost the damage and cancel the heal effect, but that wouldnt match the WoW skill effect.

could make it not affect heroes and heal 1 instead.

Edit:Sorry guy below, i have changed my post xD
Edited by pedroEX on 4/12/2014 5:07 PM PDT
Reply Quote
could make it heal 1 and deal 1 damage for 2 mana.

Not realy. Arcane explosion is deal damage 1 for 2 mana. Anyway, dealing 1 damage is also not very helpful.
Reply Quote
04/12/2014 01:13 PMPosted by biogoo

The difference between Holy Nova and the Paladin's Consecrate is not just about the mana cost. Consecrate works well with the another paladin card Equality which will make it a very reliable board clear. Two cards for 6 mana. Your own minions will be affected too but at they can at least damage the other hero after the board clear. More expensive but worth it

Holy Nova on the other hand is just two damage with heal on your side of the board. For it to be cost effective, some of your minions should at least be healed and trade with the remaining minions of the opposite board. Without any minion being healed, two damage is very small at 5 mana when a some of the big minions are already in play. Against rush decks, a 5 mana card is already too late.
Edited by Vitanova on 4/12/2014 8:06 PM PDT
Reply Quote
04/12/2014 12:47 PMPosted by pavi
I'm curious what it is that has everyone up in arms about priests being the worst class. I understand that they have the worst stats and everything in terms of win percentage, but why is it that they are considered so weak? In my experience, no class has given me as much trouble as priests. Whenever I play them, it feels like no matter what I do, they have an answer for it (mind control, destroying minions, etc.) and then some and their card draw seems pretty powerful, though RNG-based, through their ability to take cards from your deck. I'm not claiming that they are powerful by any means, just that they give me, personally, the most trouble and I need to figure out how to play against them better. I'm curious what it is that causes priests to be considered so weak and what I can do to exploit that.

Yes, they have some answer to some of your cards but it's very limited and situational. 2 SW:P and 2 SW:D. However, if you drop a lot of 4-attack minions, those cards will be useless.

Card draw is a little bit okay for the priest, but again it is very situational. Northshire Clerk only works when there is a wounded minion on the board that is healed plus the priest should sacrifice two more mana to get a card. Northshire Clerk can also be countered very early in the game. The priest can end up getting nothing in the end.

Some of those priests that use those Mind Vision and Thought Steal are maybe on the lower ranks because that is where most priests are right now. These card draws are very RNG heavy as it depends on the cards that the other player have and it is not guaranteed that the priest will get a useful card or a card that synergizes with entire deck.
Reply Quote
I downloaded hearthstone tracker a couple days ago and have played 21 games as priest since having that program. I won 9 and lost 12 for a win rate of 43%

The problem I find with priests is they can create a really strong deck designed specifically to counter aggro or control decks, what they struggle with is having a single deck which can do well against both.

It is also very difficult for a priest to regain board control as they have no board wipes. Holy Nova seems to come 1 turn too late. Same with holy fire, it costs 6 mana and you have to deal with things like yeti's and drakes a turn or two before you can use holy fire.
Edited by MadJohnny on 4/12/2014 10:06 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I think the biggest weaknesses are...

1. Many situational spells
So many spells have a requirement which often makes them a dead weight in your hand (the shadow words - especially with a blind spot of strength 4 minions) etc

Shadow Madness also belongs into this category as many others.

2. Randomness...
Mind Games - I mean I got a Ragnaros at turn 4 but that was once. On the other hand I cannot count how often I got crap. This is even worse because the battlecry isn't triggered. And that's an epic card.

3. Lack of synergy
Just take shadow form. It look really great on paper. However, it not only stalls yourself but it makes most priest cards worthless because you cannot heal anymore, like Northshire Cleric. Ironic, isn't it?

4. Rush
Well, priest just sucks against rush decks. In the world of Hearthrush, this is just bad.
Holy Nova is too expensive and you are next to dead if you rely on it. The same goes for the Auchenai Priest + Healing Circle Combo.

Don't get me wrong. The class can be fun and produce even good results. However, that's very situational and the stars have to be aligned the right way. Often, however, you have cards which don't help you at all. In a way, the class feels crude and unfinished
Edited by Asmodean on 4/13/2014 6:47 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]