Evocation

4 Cost spell card that gives you 3 mana gems and the enemy +5 spell dmg for one turn
dont EVER combo with millhouse, lol

and on the idea of temporary spell dmg being a thing:

Mana gem
2 or 3 cost; gives you +2 spell dmg for the rest of your turn

Well, mana gem was more of an after thought but i seriously think Evocation could be a card!
Reply Quote
So you mean this?

Evocation
(4) Spell - Mage (Common)
Gain 3 mana crystals. Give enemy hero Spell Damage +5 until the start of your next turn.

Sounds too punishing for the mage ...you could have it be 0 mana, gain 2 crystals and the Spell Damage be only +3.

Mana Gem
(2) Spell - Mage (Rare)
Give your hero Spell Damage +2 this turn.

So for 6 mana you could Fireball face for *8* eh? Sounds cool and could help Mages in constructed. I like it a lot, imagine having a Sorcerer's Apprentice on board, turn 9, play Mana Gem, then Pyroblast face for *12*. Not game breaking but adds more chances to win for a Mage.
Reply Quote
I think:

Evocation
(0) Spell - Mage (Epic)
    Refill your mana bar.
    Take double damage for one round.

Would be situationally useful enough to merit the risk.

Of course this might also be overpowered.

Build up a sick hand size; turn 7 drop down your auctioneer and an apprentice. Gain 7 mana, empty your hand. If you had saved 2 ice lances, a frost bolt, and a fireball, you've just done a minimum of 17 damage, drawn 4 cards, and still have 3 mana left to spend, which you could put to use with the cards you gained.
Reply Quote
Sounds too OP IMO and i believe that mage's problem lately is lack of draw power and bad tempo ...how about this version? More balanced and overall useful:

Evocation
(0) Spell - Mage
Gain 3 Mana Crystals this turn only. Give enemy hero Spell Damage +2 next turn.

You get one more mana than druid's Innervate but you give them chance to punch you in the face. You can only hope they don't get a spell card that turn.

Check it out:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/f67ozomyj6r6g15/Hearthstone%20-%20Mage%20-%20Evocation.png
Edited by Vin on 5/20/2014 9:15 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I think Mage just needs more card draw. How about:

Evocation
3 Mana
Draw one extra card at the start of your turn for the next three turns.
Reply Quote
I think Evocation is a great spell to base a card off of, but I'd rather get something more universal, like card draw. Something like...

Evocation - 5 mana

Draw three spells from your deck.

This gets you flavor and utility that the mage could put to use.
Reply Quote
I like that one, but 5 mana seems steep. How about draw three spells from your deck and the next spell you cast this turn costs (2) less mana.
Reply Quote
I was using Nourish as a balancer. Nourish does have that extra choice, but more or less tutoring 3 spells can be very powerful with the right mage deck, I think. I am not the best balancer though so who knows.
Reply Quote
ooh!! i like the idea of drawing spell cards (like a warlock drawing demons) actually, that is something i definitely did not consider.

but i meant permanent mana crystals, which at 10 already translates to card draw
or when used before that, to get an upper hand like the druid 2 cost for 1 gem spell they have
Reply Quote
Well i used Innervate as a base-line and added a drawback for the extra crystal. Mage does need more card draw power but the Evocation spell in WoW has to do with gaining mana back while being vulnerable in the process, hence my idea for the card.

Now, imagine combo-ing that with the Auctioneer and another 3 spell card or better yet, Frostbolt+Ice Lance!

So much can be done in regards to tempo to fix the Mage. We'll have to wait for the Naxx cards tho.
Edited by Vin on 5/20/2014 9:27 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I'd say make it legendary and it would be 0 cost and restore 4 mana crystals with no drawback. I also i thought it could be percentage based. Like restore 60% of your mana crystals. Which would make it really strong on turn 10. Making it legendary I feel like you could do it without a drawback on it since mages are in a terrible spot on the ladder and need a buff. Seeing as made scientist although was a slight buff to mages was really just a buff to an already strong hunter class.
Reply Quote
Evocation - 0 Mana

Refill 3 empty mana crystals.

Not quite like druid where they can get a big minion out 2 turns early. But gives the capability to do a spell power/spell combo that you couldn't do in one turn before.

Probably too good with antonidas and auctioneer though.
Reply Quote
awww, it's nice to see my thread got some love after several months of being dead, haha!

like the idea of refilling empty crystals only though

there's just a lot of ways evocation could be implemented into HS; I hope it's in the first xpac!
Reply Quote
I think you guys are on the right path with the mana crystals. It should be like WoW where it refils your mana. Ofcourse 3 mana crystals for 0 mana needs to have some draw back
Reply Quote
09/03/2014 12:24 PMPosted by Spresman
I think you guys are on the right path with the mana crystals. It should be like WoW where it refils your mana. Ofcourse 3 mana crystals for 0 mana needs to have some draw back

I think if it only refilled empty mana crystals it would be balanced against Innervate because it cannot ramp you up to a high cost minion in the early game like Innervate can. It also requires you to have the correct cards to spend your mana first. You could get to turn 3 with only 2 mana cost cards in your hand and not be able to fully utilize it.
Reply Quote
09/03/2014 12:24 PMPosted by Spresman

Losing a card is the drawback. It's not like innervate has additional drawbacks.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]