Shadow word... kill 4-attack minion?

Let's fantasize a little.
What if Priest had a "shadow word" spell targeted against 4-attack minions? Would it be imbalanced or would it make priest a little more competitive in a current meta?

Upsides:
+ Deals with Priest's infamous "4-attack window", allows to deal effectively with yetis, druids of the claw, Cairne and other commonly used solid mid-game cards.
+ Like the other "shadow word" cards it can be combined with crazy alchemist, sergeant or iron dwarf to change enemy minions' stats and destroy them, so the deck becomes more flexible.

Downsides:
+ Too restricted, doesn't help with rush decks (maybe a little against murlocks), doesn't help with big guys.
+ Occupies place in the deck. It may sound insignificant, but it actually isn't when half of your deck are removals and you don't have minions to play.

As I said, this thread is not an application to Blizzard, just a point for discussion.
Also, how would you call this card? :) Shadow word: Misery? Shadow word: Despair? Shdow word: Imba?
Edited by Favourite on 4/26/2014 6:07 AM PDT
Reply Quote
With how many Druids are in the meta it would be excellent. Also since Azure Drakes, Dark Iron Dwarves, and Yetis are popular it'd be a great addition. Of course it would be bad against extremely aggressive aggro, but nonetheless it would make other matchups significantly better. If it was it's own card it'd be pretty bad though
Reply Quote
I think they should just add an attack debuff and an attack/life switch card to the priest class cards and it would fill the 4 attack gap pretty well without over buffing the class
Reply Quote
04/26/2014 07:00 AMPosted by Cogs
I think they should just add an attack debuff and an attack/life switch card to the priest class cards and it would fill the 4 attack gap pretty well without over buffing the class

That would make Cabals too strong. I do cherish the moments though when you use an Aldor Peacekeeper on a Tirion and steal it ._.
Reply Quote
I would change both shadow word: pain and death cards for 2 spells like some other classes have to destroy a minion no matter what it attack is.
Reply Quote
I say give us a 1/4 mace or staff that lowers attack power instead of does damage. You hit a 4/5, make it a 3/5 and SW:Pain it. This would get SW:Pain back into my deck.

I'm on the fence as to whether or not "immune while attacking" would be OP. I'm thinking it would be OP.
Edited by Flame on 4/26/2014 6:13 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I honestly wish pain was buffed to deal with 1-4 damage.

There arn't too many cards that deal 1-3 damage that need immediate removal in my experience. Water elemental for mages, things that can be charged like frothing beserker or mana worm. But overall it would be a fine buff to pull that remove up. Way more priority 4 damage minions out there.
Reply Quote
dark iron dwarf
abusive sergeant
crazed alchemist

holy smite for mobs with enrage.

pyromancer+holy nova

l2 combo
Edited by beneviolence on 4/28/2014 8:58 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Heard this suggestion another place.

legendary creature - 3 cost - 1/4 - battlecry: destroy ALL 4 attack minions.

Undead priest names?
Reply Quote
What if shadow word death cost 4 mana and and targeted 4attack minions and above?I dont think it would be op since at 4mana we have polymorph,and at 5 mana we have assassinate which kills anything regardless of some restriction!
Reply Quote
SW:D should be changed to include 4 AP minions. I don't think a change in mana cost would be necessary either. Sure we would be able to break through on the 4 AP minions, but would then risk being without SW:D on potentially stronger minions.
Reply Quote
I haven't thought it over greatly and it has probably been suggested before but would it not make more sense if the Shadow Words functioned on the minion's health instead of their attack. Health is much easier to manipulate than the enemy attack meaning we could bump an enemy's health into kill range while risking or trading our own minions.

By targeting attack power there's very little Priests can do outside of maybe using Inner Fire offensively to move say a chillwind yeti into a 5/5 so it can be Deathed but that's so impractical, a 2 card, 4 mana combo to deal with 1 minion. Sure there are other methods like Crazed Alchemist but it's a similar story, 2 cards, 1 minion.

So in short, Pain, enemy HEALTH 3 or less, Death, 5 or greater, It also creates better synergy with other cards like Smite and Power Word: Shield / Divine Spirit to be used offensively.

We only get 2 of either of them, like we do now, so it's difficult to see how it could be considered problematic, just that it might give Priests a bit more flexibility in how they are deployed
Reply Quote
just change s:death or s:pain to include 4 atk minions, its ridiculous not to when basically 50% of the meta revolves around 4atk minions

also what priests really do not need is another specific spell that can only be played against a specific type of minion, just give them a direct damage spell please (3 mana deal 4 dmg or something like that)
Reply Quote
That would be stupid, priests have excellent removal already.
Reply Quote
05/01/2014 09:12 AMPosted by Marmatag

So. There is an opponent who plays Yeti on an empty table. Would you please share with us what is that excellent removal that priest has to deal with the Yeti?
Reply Quote
I think the last thing priests need is another highly situational card such as one that only targets 4 attack minions. Earlier this week I had a slightly similar idea reguarding SW:D which also addressed the very situational nature of most priest abilities/cards.

What if SWP performed it's normal function but the spell would have an alternate function much like druid spells. The alternate function would make the spell target 4 attack minions, but at the cost of 2 additional mana, raising the cost to 4 gems.I was mainly interested in giving the priest spells an option to take away from how situational all the priest spells tend to be. and at the same time giving the priest a chance against the onslaught of 4 minions that exist in this game.IMBA or just a fix?

The reason it would be more expensive than swd is because priests would still have somewhat of a blind spot at 4 attack. They would have the option of killing a 4 attack minion, but at a very steep price so that they would retain some of that 4 attack blind spot which I'm sure blizz gave to them for a reason. I think priests can get their value elsewhere anyways, and it's still a 1 for 1, and on top of that 4 mana to kill a yeti or even sunwalker is actually pretty damn good, probably op, but this is just something to keep the conversation going about tweaking the priest class.

In addition...

Posted by Marmatag

So. There is an opponent who plays Yeti on an empty table. Would you please share with us what is that excellent removal that priest has to deal with the Yeti?

and there are so many more 4 attack minions which are even more of a pain in the !@# than yeti
Reply Quote
05/01/2014 12:58 PMPosted by Favourite
05/01/2014 09:12 AMPosted by Marmatag

Holy fire?

The yeti is hardly game breaking. He's a 4/5 with nothing else going for him. Maybe you could use YOUR yeti, +your healing, to win that fight? This isn't rocket science.

Priests are loaded with removal.
Edited by Marmatag on 5/1/2014 1:40 PM PDT
Reply Quote
There so many different yetis though.... Yeti, bubbletaunt yet, deathrattle yeti, stone yeti, dream yeti just to name a few...
Reply Quote
05/01/2014 02:39 PMPosted by Lolipoo
There so many different yetis though.... Yeti, bubbletaunt yet, deathrattle yeti, stone yeti, dream yeti just to name a few...

And there are so many cards you can easily kill that most other classes can't, because of shadow word death.

Do you run BGH in your deck? why or why not?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]