Shadow word... kill 4-attack minion?

i dont run BGH, seeing as everyone is running either zoo, miracle rogue or hunter.
Reply Quote
That card would be completely useless. Last thing Priest needs is another card that will make him even less flexible. Considering other removals in the game, there is no reason why SW:D should not include 4 cost minions. Yes, there are lots of battlecryes to up minions attack, problem is those minions are not exactly great, when you waste that battlecry offensively.
Reply Quote
05/01/2014 03:01 PMPosted by Lolipoo
i dont run BGH, seeing as everyone is running either zoo, miracle rogue or hunter.

Yes literally everyone. Control is not viable and no one uses ultra powerful legendaries with over 4 attack. Ragnaros also doesn't exist.
Reply Quote
05/01/2014 03:31 PMPosted by Marmatag
05/01/2014 03:01 PMPosted by Lolipoo

Yes literally everyone. Control is not viable and no one uses ultra powerful legendaries with over 4 attack. Ragnaros also doesn't exist.

Cairne and black knight, the most used cards in control... oh they are both special versions of a yeti :v
Reply Quote
Problem is if you encounter deck that works on small minons, you have 2x SW:D and BGH that are essntially useless. 3 cards in your deck that don't do anything. Every other removal in the game can be used against smaller minions if need be. And since most decks are build to stomp you as quickly as possible, you don't have time to draw useless cards.
Reply Quote
05/01/2014 03:35 PMPosted by Lolipoo
05/01/2014 03:31 PMPosted by Marmatag

Cairne and black knight, the most used cards in control... oh they are both special versions of a yeti :v

both vulnerable to holy fire. you'd have to silence cairne first.

fact of the matter is, 4 attack creatures are your most expensive, mana wise, to remove. but you still have removal for everything, and your big creature removal - where other classes struggle the most - is quite good.

And if you're facing rush decks with small creatures, you're in the same boat as almost everyone, it's just hard to stop.
Reply Quote
If they just made inner fire draw a card when you used it this problem could be solved, it'd actually be a card you could use to manipulate both enemies and allies to do what you need them to do.
Reply Quote
<span class="truncated">...</span>

fact of the matter is, 4 attack creatures are your most expensive, mana wise, to remove. but you still have removal for everything, and your big creature removal - where other classes struggle the most - is quite good.

And if you're facing rush decks with small creatures, you're in the same boat as almost everyone, it's just hard to stop.

please do tell me any class (other than druid) who doesnt have better removal than priest (and i know that removal isnt what makes a class, but seriously, playing against druid as priest is just tiresome)
Edited by Lolipoo on 5/1/2014 4:22 PM PDT
Reply Quote
they could change shadow word death to be more in line with the original wow version of the spell ? instead of just killing anything above 5 attack it just deals a large amount of damage and if the target does not die the priest takes 1/3 (or something) of the damage delt ?
Reply Quote
05/01/2014 04:01 PMPosted by Marmatag

You seem to think priests are just pulling holy fires out of their !@# whenever they want. I absolutely do not want to spend 6 mana to take out a yeti or a drake or something, holy fire on turn 6 is like the weakest play and then on your opponents next turn they can just drop another one of their many 4 attack minions and then what do you do? play another holy fire? and another one, AND ANOTHER ONE. not viable. Oh yes we have nice late game removal if we some how manage to live through the onslaught of 4 attack minions in the midgame.

05/01/2014 04:01 PMPosted by Marmatag

not true, absolutely not true. We have the worst early to mid game removal, we don't get access to aoe until turn 5, which is later than any other class. and our single target spells blow compared to every other class. I would trade priest removal for any other classes removal in the game. I would gladly trade holy smite for wrath, frostbolt, lightning bolt, ANYTHING. other than holy smite all we have is the highly situational SW's. So ya... not really on board with priests being in the same boat with all other classes against rush decks. not to mention their hero power wont help with board control when the priest isn't able to ever get any board control.
Reply Quote

please do tell me any class (other than druid) who doesnt have better removal than priest (and i know that removal isnt what makes a class, but seriously, playing against druid as priest is just tiresome)

I would say priest has better removal than warrior, druid, paladin, and warlock.
Reply Quote
more situational than warlocks and with their card draw they don't need it as much. Warriors make up for it with weapons that get huge value, 1 firey axe is twice as good as an early game sw:p. Druids have their hero power for early threats, in addition to swipe, wrath moonfire, starfire, all of which are very versatile and not nearly as situational as the priests removal. paladin, okay i'll give you that, but equality combos can easily clear the board for = or less mana than measly holy nova. in addition pallys are like a hybrid class which can heal use weapons and spells so I can't act like it's a big deal that they happen to have worse removal than priest. So ya... I'm not sure I see your point of view.

okay okay priest has several mind control spells/minions. but i feel like at medium-high levels of play , players see these coming and can easily play around them. turn 9 against a priest? don't play that ysera. turn 6 against a priest don't play that 2 attack minion.
Reply Quote
05/01/2014 10:11 PMPosted by Sigismund
more situational than warlocks and with their card draw they don't need it as much. Warriors make up for it with weapons that get huge value, 1 firey axe is twice as good as an early game sw:p. Druids have their hero power for early threats, in addition to swipe, wrath moonfire, starfire, all of which are very versatile and not nearly as situational as the priests removal. paladin, okay i'll give you that, but equality combos can easily clear the board for = or less mana than measly holy nova. in addition pallys are like a hybrid class which can heal use weapons and spells so I can't act like it's a big deal that they happen to have worse removal than priest. So ya... I'm not sure I see your point of view.

okay okay priest has several mind control spells/minions. but i feel like at medium-high levels of play , players see these coming and can easily play around them. turn 9 against a priest? don't play that ysera. turn 6 against a priest don't play that 2 attack minion.

Agree to disagree. Your shadow words do extremely well against divine shield. That fiery war axe against a 3 attack minion with divine shield is 2 hero attack turns with 6 damage taken to kill that monster, whereas you just pain right through the shield.

I like how your easy work around for ysera is not to play it. What? How is that a valid work around? After turn 6 half of your minions aren't accessible? ok?

Do you really genuinely feel that the current issues with priest stem from a lack of destruction spells?
Reply Quote
05/02/2014 09:16 AMPosted by Marmatag
Your shadow words do extremely well against divine shield. That fiery war axe against a 3 attack minion with divine shield is 2 hero attack turns with 6 damage taken to kill that monster, whereas you just pain right through the shield.

Okay, divine shields are a bit of a problem for warriors, but 4 attack minions are a bit of a problem for priests, and i see a lot more minions with 4 attack than I do with divine shield, if it's such an issue then warriors could just run that bloodknight that eats shields, but either way I suppose SW:D shines in that particular scenario no matter how you look at it.

I like how your easy work around for ysera is not to play it. What? How is that a valid work around? After turn 6 half of your minions aren't accessible? ok?

Let me explain. Due to priests lack of weapons/removal/aoe they tend to have a weak early-mid game which means that by the time the late game swings around, the priest's opponent has board control. If they can sustain that pressure using minions that are slightly less than worthy of mindcontrol, then they can put the priest in a position where they either have to mindcontrol one of these less then good minions. meanwhile that buys the opponent a whole turn to continue damage and now feel safe to drop ysera or whatever to end the game. Against priest its about baiting and preparing for certain spells that you can assume they have, because there aren't many. Basically what I meant in my previous post was don't blindly play a ysera right before a priests turn 10. You can play a ysera on turn 10, but at least make sure you have proper removal for it or put the priest in a position where they have to mc something else before you drop ysera, I don't think priests run 2 mindcontrols.

And after turn 6 I always love it when my opponent immediately puts down a gurubashi or some other huge 2 attack minion, just offering it to me on a silver platter. Again the opponents should have known that was coming and maintained board control with less important minions or ones with attack over 2 and then play them on turn 7 or 8 where a priest would have to choose between big cards like rag, or playing a 6 mana priest and putting themselves in an awkward mana curve. Or simply make sure than you have some sort of removal in place to remove the minion that you know will be mincontrolled. worried about your 2 attack minions that you have on the board from turn 5 being stollen the next turn? no problem drop a defender of argus.

Do you really genuinely feel that the current issues with priest stem from a lack of destruction spells?

I actually do. I honestly believe they have some of the worst removal. Given it can be highly effective at low ranks of play where opponents don't anticipate your moves as well. But due to the LONG list of 4 attack minions which are mostly very high value midgame minions, and midgame is where priest seems to suffer anyways, so it add insult to injury.
Reply Quote
I kinda like 4 attack weakness of Priest.

But lately I have been playing without neither Shadow Word cards. Both can be really amazing in right conditions but since I'm mostly an Arena player I just rather have more consistent cards which gives me board presence and let's me make use of Priest's hero power.

Anyway, I would much prefer Priest having an Aldor Piecekeeper type of minion. Or a reverse Shattered Sun Cleric. Let's say a 2 mana 2/2 minion with a Battlecry: "Give a minion -1/-1". It would give Priest much more flexibility.
Edited by Yoska on 5/4/2014 2:50 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I would ok with 4+ removals if priests lost the 1-3 removal. I really don't want them to cover the entire range of creatures with some cheap 2-3 mana spells. Ysera and Malygos have 4 attack for a reason.
Reply Quote
This class has already so many situational clards. More would be the last nail in the class' coffin. Considering that priests have the least removal spells, they could get a tweaking to make the existing ones close the 4 attack gap
Edited by Asmodean on 5/4/2014 4:25 AM PDT
Reply Quote
04/28/2014 09:46 PMPosted by Playdead
Heard this suggestion another place.

legendary creature - 3 cost - 1/4 - battlecry: destroy ALL 4 attack minions.

Undead priest names?

I've seen this idea before, I vwould like it better if it had taunt
Reply Quote
05/01/2014 01:39 PMPosted by Marmatag
Priests are loaded with removal.
Crappy situational removal that either wins you the game or can't be played at all, depending on what your opponent has on the board.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]