New Rogue Card: Very Dangerous

05/14/2014 05:44 PMPosted by SOuz
Combo cards are just too costly to start chainning in my opinion, not alot of good effects come from it either.

I believe you are mistaken, a number of the Rogues best cards rely on combo to work and a number of them are included in almost every deck you would make as a Rogue.

There is nothing wrong with combo cards with the exception of Kidnapper which really needs it's mana cost reduced by 1
Reply Quote
Slightly off-topic: Kidnapper's effect should read "Return a minion to its owner's hand. Target friendly minion costs (2) less, target enemy minion costs (2) more."
Reply Quote
05/14/2014 05:27 PMPosted by ForPortal
Ambusher provides a mere +1 toughness
You do realize that the difference between 4 and 5 is kind of a big deal.
Reply Quote
I think kidnapper should do what it says... that card becomes yours
Reply Quote
05/14/2014 06:57 PMPosted by TheVampirate
I think kidnapper should do what it says... that card becomes yours

Or at least send that card to your hand. Otherwise it's a Mind Control for 6 mana + a 4/3 minion.
Reply Quote
05/14/2014 06:53 PMPosted by Managarn
05/14/2014 05:27 PMPosted by ForPortal
Ambusher provides a mere +1 toughness
You do realize that the difference between 4 and 5 is kind of a big deal.

It's less of a big deal than the difference between returning a minion of your choice to your hand at a time of your choosing, and returning a random minion to your hand at a time likely of your opponent's choosing.
Reply Quote
Well, also gotta consider that tempo rogue now has an additional deathrattle minion to drop to buff up that undertaker I think he is called. So now they have:

1cc undertaker
2cc loot hoarder (undertaker is now 2/3)
3cc harvest golem (3/4)
4cc ambusher (4/5)

That is a pretty sweet curve.

And then it is even some mass dispel protection or a buffable target since people won't want to silence him to avoid his negative side affect.

And finally, once in a while the stars will align and you'll actually want to bounce a minion back to your hand. Although frankly I feel like if you are playing a tempo rogue, this is probably not your top priority.

I am somewhat happy that rogue got a 4 drop minion.
Edited by Protekt1 on 5/14/2014 7:49 PM PDT
Reply Quote
likely they wanted to make it a 4/5 but decided to make it a 5/5 as a buff to priests at the expense of every other class in the game.
Reply Quote
05/14/2014 07:48 PMPosted by Protekt1
Well, also gotta consider that tempo rogue now has an additional deathrattle minion to drop to buff up that undertaker I think he is called. So now they have:

1cc undertaker
3cc harvest golem (3/4)
4cc ambusher (4/5)

No, it's not. Ambusher has anti-synergy with cards like Undertaker and Questing Adventurer, because if they get bounced, they lose the benefit of all your hard work powering them up.
Reply Quote
The deathrattle on this card is absolutely awful. The opponent almost always has control over when the deathrattle triggers, so it *will* screw you over in the vast majority of games (and incidentally bouncing something like an SI:7 agent to your hand is usually still a bad thing, because having a 3/3 in play is better than having an SI:7 agent in your hand most of the time).

It's like an ancient brewmaster only your opponent chooses what minion you return to your hand, and they can also choose minions that are played after it (so you can't even get around the ability by playing it first like you can with brewmasters). I could almost see running it in a deck with very few minions to try to get around the drawback, but I can't imagine why any deck that works without minions would want to use a vanilla 5/5 for 4 mana either.
Reply Quote
rogue is already a joke class
remove it from the game or nerf it
Reply Quote
05/15/2014 06:25 AMPosted by Octus
rogue is already a joke class
remove it from the game or nerf it

Wow, such good feedback.

Maybe you should play rogue for a bit before you start clammoring for "Removal of the class".

Don't lead with hyperbole, it doesn't help people's opinion of you.
Reply Quote
Weak?

I think this card is too strong! It is a 5/5 for 4 mana that has a "drawback" that can be easily played around or even made to work in your favor (tempo rogues can really benefit from this card as others have said).

I fear this card is symptomatic of power creep that new cards may bring, which would wreck the whole concept of this game.
Reply Quote
05/15/2014 04:35 AMPosted by ForPortal
05/14/2014 07:48 PMPosted by Protekt1

1cc undertaker
3cc harvest golem (3/4)
4cc ambusher (4/5)

No, it's not. Ambusher has anti-synergy with cards like Undertaker and Questing Adventurer, because if they get bounced, they lose the benefit of all your hard work powering them up.

No its not what? Not a sweet curve? Having a deathrattle minion turns 2-4 to buff up undertaker is bad? lmao.

You actually think all of those minions are going to be sticking around by turn 4? lol okay I guess you never played tempo rogue before. And I didn't even mention questing adventurer nor would I play that crap card in my tempo decks and especially in this deck. And you shouldn't be playing undertaker with the goal of getting him as big as possible anyway. He is going to die or you are going to find a suitable trade well before turn 4-5.
Reply Quote
This should pretty much be an auto-replace Yeti in all Tempo decks.
Reply Quote
05/15/2014 08:52 AMPosted by SirDigby

Yeah, no.

If the thing dies you could lose board control.
Reply Quote
05/15/2014 08:56 AMPosted by Muto

Yeah, no.

If the thing dies you could lose board control.

Yeah, man. Losing that Loot Hoarder, Si:7 or one token from Defias Scrublord certainly sounds like auto-losing the match.

Have you ever played Tempo Rogue? You're under the impression that on turn 4/5 your board is flooded with oodles of control. It's not.

This thing is a better Chillwind for the same cost. It will be auto-include in any Tempo deck where the user actually knows how to play Tempo Rogue.
Reply Quote
MVP - Hearthstone

Tempo decks, no. But late-game control decks, yes. That being said, it's a Rogue-only card, so it's not like you can use it in a Druid deck (which I think it would be a great card for).
Reply Quote
You go first.
Reply Quote
The rogue card is designed to be a tempo card with a drawback. Ancient Brewmaster can be a tempo card with a drawback, or he could bounce a legitimately helpful minion to re-use the battle cry; But his stats suffer because of that flexibility. I think ultimately though the lack of control over which minion gets bounced hurts a lot; I'm not saying the rogue card won't see play because it will see a lot of play, I just think rogues will be VERY hesitant to field anything else with him. Which is fine, because a 5/5 isn't exactly something that can be ignored.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]