Can anyone make a case for Mind Vision?

I don't see any reason to use this card, yet I see it in decks sometimes.

You play a card to get a card (no gain).
The card you get may or may not fit well with what you want to do.
I realize it tells you one card in your opponent's hand - but is that worth it? I really don't think so.
You might as well just put a good card into your deck instead of Mind Vision(s).
Reply Quote
I'm a Rank 12 Priest, and I must say that MV is a powerful, yet underrated card.

One very common problem for Priest decks is a severe lack of versatility. You can build to deal with either aggro or control very well - but not both. Priests lack early AoEs and weapons, forcing them to omit higher cost minions for earlier bodies. In other words, a well-rounded Priest deck often finds itself with too expensive minions against aggro, or not enough finishers against control. Mind Vision and Thoughtsteal fill that versatility gap.

Thoughtsteal, however, is not as flexible as Mind Vision. Three mana is a big tempo hit against aggro. Against control, using MV late-game when your opponent has 2-3 cards left in hand gives you a big chance of copying Ragnaros or Ysera.

It takes a lot of skill and experience to know when to best use MV, especially if you have only one in your deck. This card wins games and gives Priests that versatility you need. Unlike Shadow Words and buff spells, MV is never a dead card, a major problem for most other Priest cards with conditional usages.

Try 2x in your deck and learn to use them. Not for everyone, but definitely underrated.
Reply Quote
As Joewoof said: versatility. Priest have a very limited array of spells available, so we just take some of our opponent's. Doesn't work all the time, but gives you the element of surprise. Very few decks gameplan against their own cards.

Plus it's fun. Can't stress that enough. I never go without my full array of MV/TS.
Reply Quote
05/04/2014 03:36 AMPosted by Joewoof
MV is never a dead card,

yeah right, not like people ever run out of handcards. Oh wait zoo does by turn 5...

Mv hase some use.
It shows you 1 of the opponents handcards and if you get lucky against another control deck it may give you a second ysera/rag to play. you can also use it to trigger wild pyro.

It's just that the negatives don't outweigh the positives. Most of the time you just pay 1 extra for a card that doesn't fit your deck or may outright be unusable.
Edited by Philipz on 5/4/2014 5:11 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Can be useful late game when your opponents hand gets low. Odds are that card he's sitting on is his knock out card and he's trying to bait your MC before playing. So if he's got one or two cards left late game there's a good chance one of them can potentially win you the game next turn. Purely situational but you can raise the odds it'll get you something good.
Reply Quote
05/04/2014 06:15 AMPosted by Cogs
Can be useful late game when your opponents hand gets low. Odds are that card he's sitting on is his knock out card and he's trying to bait your MC before playing. So if he's got one or two cards left late game there's a good chance one of them can potentially win you the game next turn. Purely situational but you can raise the odds it'll get you something good.

I hadn't considered that. I can think of a couple times where my opponent had 1-2 cards left that they had been holding the whole game, I have Rag ready to go, but fear the Polymorph. I can see how it could have some use in that situation, but I'm just not as convinced as Joe and heretik. I just can't imagine the best answer to any deck is to mirror one of it's cards at random. However, if you can minimize that randomness as you have suggested (as in, I'm pretty sure one of those cards is a removal or high mana minion), then I guess a case can be made for it. I don't think I'm ready to put it into my deck just yet, but I'll keep an open mind (pun intended) if those situations start arising more often.
Reply Quote
Yeah I don't personally use one in most of my priest decks but it's far from useless if played right.
Reply Quote
It's very useful for triggering Wild Pyromancer against aggressive decks. I use it alongside PW:S and Smite, and SW:P to handle a lot of the early shenanigans.
Reply Quote
Even if it doesn't give you a powerful late game card, it can still provide you with something useful. That said, you're already relying on RNG enough when packing 2 Thoughtsteals (and you need at least one of those because its the only guaranteed card draw you have).
Reply Quote
Mind Vision sucks. Doesn't gain anything, if you Mind Vision a Flame Imp you're going to be sad, Thoughtsteal on the other hand gets 2 cards so at least one is most likely going to be useful, also taking it from the deck is probably better because if they've been keeping a card in hand, it's most likely really situational removal or a dead card. Also turn 1 Mind Vision can be awful because 99% of the time you'll get the coin because the game is fun
Reply Quote
Also turn 1 Mind Vision can be awful because 99% of the time you'll get the coin because the game is fun

Because getting The Coin via Mind Vision early match is such a BAD thing.
Reply Quote
I played mind vision late game with sylvanas on the board and this is the outcome

http://imgur.com/lHlzzXx
Reply Quote
05/05/2014 07:47 AMPosted by Homura
Also turn 1 Mind Vision can be awful because 99% of the time you'll get the coin because the game is fun

Because getting The Coin via Mind Vision early match is such a BAD thing.

Spending a card to get a coin is basically half as good as stealing an Innervate. It's bad. And it seems to happen a lot. Too often to be random IMO.
Reply Quote
Mind vision is for late game. Playing a turn 1 mind vision is maybe the worst turn 1 play a priest can make. The idea is to include one copy in your deck, and draw it late game to steal that bullet they have been saving. You will almost always get something great if played around turn 8 when opponent has 2 or 3 cards in hand. Played early game, like is see so often from the unlimited noob priests out there is a complete waste. Why trade a card that could be something useful that you included in your own deck for something you have no idea what it is? If you wanted a knife Juggler or harvest golem so badly, why not just play your own, but if you can steal a polymorph or a Ragnaros later in the game for 1 mana, that is a good play. Like in all games, the issues aren't really with the cards as much as they are with how the cards are played.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]