SpellPriest Deck

Greetings!

I have been playing Priest, and am currently playing with the following deck at level 14/15. I don't have a lot of time to play though, so I am not sure how high this can go.
I don't run Thoughtsteal or Holy Nova, as I have found those to lose a lot of tempo. The deck has performed pretty well against aggro, but I am trying to improve its control matchup. I don't have any legends yet myself, so this is pretty budget friendly.
Please let me know what you think.

2x Circle of Healing
2x Silence

2x Holy Smite
2x Mind Vision
2x Power Word: Shield
2x Northshire Cleric

2x Loot Hoarder
2x Wild Pyromancer

1x Shadow Word: Death
1x Earthen Ring Farseer
2x Injured Blademaster

2x Auchenai Soulpriest
2x Twilight Drake

1x Abomination
2x Gadgetzan Auctioneer

2x Holy Fire

1x Mind Control

The basic idea of the deck is that the Priest has a lot of low cost spells, so he can make use of the Pyromancer and Auctioneer better than most.

Against aggro, I look for the Pyromancers and I make sure to play the cleric early, just as a body to slow down the rush. With the Pyromancer, a Holy Smite, and one other spell, you can destroy a 4 health creature and all 2 health creatures.

Against Control, I run PW:D for Rag, and Mind Control for Ysera mostly. I also put the Mind Visions in to play late versus control (before they play their legends, to hopefully get one of theirs).

I would say that the weak points of the deck are probably the 4 cards I am running against control (PW:D, Mind Control, and Mind Vision), and the Abomination. These 5 cards can probably be switched around without affecting the general feeling of the deck too much.

With this deck, I usually am able to draw a ton of cards, so I often have a lot of choices, which is pretty fun. Let me know what you think I can improve, or if you try the deck and like it.
Reply Quote
Add 2 boulder fist ogres over 2 holy fires for
late game.
Edited by Thunderbolt on 4/25/2014 11:27 PM PDT
Reply Quote
This is a strictly anti-aggro deck from what I can tell. Running two silences while you don't run Watchers is a bit wasteful IMO, that card rarely returns even a 1 for 1. I'd cut one for a 2nd SW:D. In order to improve your vs Control matchup, I'd cut the Farseer and one Hoarder for two Boulderfists. Don't cut Holy Fires, they are one of the few non situational spells the Priest has and they aren't bad.

If you somehow manage to get your hands on a Thalnos, sub him in for the Hoarder ASAP.

Priest has great potential to wreck late game due to his removal being cheap and his hero power making things as stupid as minions going 4 for 1 possible. The problem is that your deck is too early game focused. While that is the Priests most vulnerable period, you have forgone the Priest's strenght- late game. If you will do the adjustements, you'd improve it drastically.
Reply Quote
Holy fire is overrated Imo as
it does too little for so much in this aggro meta
Edited by Thunderbolt on 4/26/2014 3:12 AM PDT
Reply Quote
04/26/2014 01:19 AMPosted by SpeedStick
This is a strictly anti-aggro deck from what I can tell. Running two silences while you don't run Watchers is a bit wasteful IMO, that card rarely returns even a 1 for 1. I'd cut one for a 2nd SW:D. In order to improve your vs Control matchup, I'd cut the Farseer and one Hoarder for two Boulderfists. Don't cut Holy Fires, they are one of the few non situational spells the Priest has and they aren't bad.

If you somehow manage to get your hands on a Thalnos, sub him in for the Hoarder ASAP.

Priest has great potential to wreck late game due to his removal being cheap and his hero power making things as stupid as minions going 4 for 1 possible. The problem is that your deck is too early game focused. While that is the Priests most vulnerable period, you have forgone the Priest's strenght- late game. If you will do the adjustements, you'd improve it drastically.

Thanks for your suggestions. I was originally just running one Silence, but I have actually found that 2 is good, because it is free, and I have 2x Pyromancer and 2x Auctioneer, so having an extra free spell is really useful. Usually my only copy of SW:D sits in my hand useless, so I am afraid to run 2 copies. I do like your ideas about the Farseer and Hoarder, so I will try it with some bigger minions as finishers and see how it works out.

I had some time to play yesterday, and got up to level 12, but lost a couple and am back at 13.

@Thunderbolt - I really like the Holy Fires. They are a little more than I want to pay (I wish they were 5 mana), but they are really critical. With the Pyromancer and Soulpriest, I can take out small and medium minions, but the 5 damage is really useful against bigger minions, and it is nice being able to hit the other hero too. I just don't feel like the Ogres would be a good substitute. If I get some legends then I may take them out. Thanks for your thoughts.
Reply Quote
Looks interesting. The only thing I really take issue with is Mind Vision. Why did you include this? You spend a card to get a card (no gain) and it may or may not be a card that fits well with what you want to do. You might as well just include two quality cards in your hand instead of these gambles. I realize it tells you a card that they have in their hand, but does that really make the cards worth it?
Reply Quote
04/26/2014 03:09 AMPosted by Thunderbolt
Holy fire is overrated Imo as
it does too little for so much in this aggro meta

Holy fire is one of the best cards in the priests arsenal for survival, cant count the number of times where the heal saved my life and putting a minion instead wouldn't have made up for it.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]