A priest deck I just played against.

So I was just wondering if this is a thing now or was I so unlucky last game.

So the priest took out Nat Pegle, I earth shocked him and was happy about myself (at that point) then he cast 2 Divine Spirits and an Inner fire, and that was 12/12 card right there (ofc I had no hex coming any time soon)... Next play he used a Faceless and there we go the match was dead... Was I just really unlucky there or is that new meta or something?
Reply Quote
You lost to a fun deck. I cannot remember anyone using inner fire + divine spirit in ranked. Simply because you invest 2-3 cards and 1 silence or kill spell removes either 2 or even all of them.
Reply Quote
Its an Innerfire/Divine spirit gimmick deck that doesn't work well on the ladder.
Reply Quote
That is true, but if you don't have any of those, it's not really fun. Heheh. Was waiting for a silence or a hex or anything, but no can do. :(
Reply Quote
Yes, if you do not have any counter, then just say GG and move to next game.

This happen only less 1%, just let it go...
Reply Quote
Really unlucky.
Reply Quote
I haven't been playing long but I've been building a deck around the Divine Spirit / Inner Fire combo and it is just so satisfying when it eventually works. Mostly because of units no-one suspects, like a Lightwell or Shieldbearer, 0 attack minions that are easier to silence and therefore assumed they pose no further threat, until they unsuspectingly get buffed and wreck face. Obviously, as others said, it's not exactly something that holds up at higher level play, mostly because it takes far too long to set up and is heavily influenced by luck in drawing the right cards at the right time, but for the few times when the planets align, it is glorious.

The way I see it is, if you allowed the priest to set it up then you were very unlucky and probably deserved to get hit by the combo for not shutting it down sooner.
Edited by Chronoja on 4/30/2014 3:11 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Tendion, it was your mistake for earthshocking the nat pagle in the first place. Just learn from your mistakes. Just because you don't have an immediate 2-drop answer doesn't mean you use what is in front of you. Realizing that is what separates a "good" from a bad player. Shamans are the worst matchup for priest.

Chronoja, experienced r10+ players see that combo a mile away. The instant you play a lightwell or shieldbearer, they know its "that deck" and will remove it asap.
Edited by Askuriel on 4/30/2014 7:48 PM PDT
Reply Quote
There's some really sketch logic at work in this thread.

You lost to a fun deck

Yes, if you do not have any counter, then just say GG and move to next game.

This happen only less 1%, just let it go...

For one, four cards does not a deck make. That's not a deck. That's 4 cards. The second quote essentially says, "Adding these four cards to your deck gives you the chance to instagib your opponent. (Even when it doesn't those cards still have annoying uses, let's be honest)

I'm not calling for nerfs, but surely you can come up with better ways to defend that.

Tendion, it was your mistake for earthshocking the nat pagle in the first place. Just learn from your mistakes. Just because you don't have an immediate 2-drop answer doesn't mean you use what is in front of you. Realizing that is what separates a "good" from a bad player.

Hindsight is 20/20. In that situation, how was it his mistake for Earth Shocking Pagle? For starters, that's literally Earth Shock's best situation. Either finish something off, or devalue a minion with a great/board relevant ability. he didn't know what the next few cards would be, and even if he knew of the possibility of it, he was supposed to sit with his only (and best) answer to NP in his hand, ("ofc I had no hex coming any time soon") in the off chance that his opponent goes dumb with it? I run Nat. I wish someone would be dumb enough to sit with an ES in their hands while he draws me cards.
Reply Quote
04/28/2014 10:12 AMPosted by Tendion
So I was just wondering if this is a thing now or was I so unlucky last game.

So the priest took out Nat Pegle, I earth shocked him and was happy about myself (at that point) then he cast 2 Divine Spirits and an Inner fire, and that was 12/12 card right there (ofc I had no hex coming any time soon)... Next play he used a Faceless and there we go the match was dead... Was I just really unlucky there or is that new meta or something?

Honestly, your scenario here isnt about being unlucky, its about playing wrong.
You had the answer on your hand, the earthsthock, but you used it on a creature that actually is no threat to you. What can nat pagle do, attack you for 0 damage?

Against nat pagle you just play a minion and thats it. Nat pagle is a card, which means that even if he draws a card, he just replaced himself, not gaining any advantage yet.
If he draws 2 cards, the owner will have drawn 1 actual card for 2 mana.
So even in the best case for the nat pagle owner (where he draws every single turn), you still have 2 turns to kill it with minions before it really starts to benefit the owner.

If you use earthshock on nat pagle, you waste 1 card for his 1 card, making it a 1 for 1.
Except that there is still a body on the priest´s field, which he can still utilize, which means its actually worse for you than 1 for 1 because you just wasted one of your counters to divine spirit combos without achieving much.
If you dont use anything on pagle and just play a minion, and next turn pagle draws a card, and then you kill it with your minion, the pagle will have effectively done nothing except for wasting 2 mana.
If you can only kill it two turns later, and he draws twice, he will have drawn 1 card for 2 mana, which isnt exactly great.

Now for the scenario where you dont earthsthock it immediately.
The priest will probably use the 3 cards on it to buff it to 16/16 and then attack your face in the next turn.
Next turn you earthshock it and the priest is out of cards because you will have essentially traded 4 for 1.
4 of his cards for 1 earthsthock (1 pagle, 2 divine spirits, 1 inner fire). Even if pagle drew a card, the priest is now out of cards and will most likely lose to your full hand.

Even if he buffs it to something like 20 or 22, it doesnt matter. You wont die.
You will trade 4for1 with your earthshock and completely kill the priest with it, because a priest without cards in the hand and no board control is a dead priest.
You just destroyed his big creature with a 1 mana card, have a minion from last turn and you can probably play another minion or atleast totem.
You have board control and huge card advantage. You win.
Edited by gh0un on 5/2/2014 3:00 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Ha - I'm not so sure that Inner Fire + Divine Spirit is a bad ploy. It worked for me yesterday when I was able to buff a minion from something like 2/8 to 32/32 for 5 mana. Wish I could have seen the other player's face !
Edited by Fractalviper on 5/2/2014 8:17 AM PDT
Reply Quote
05/02/2014 01:34 AMPosted by Leon
For one, four cards does not a deck make. That's not a deck. That's 4 cards. The second quote essentially says, "Adding these four cards to your deck gives you the chance to instagib your opponent. (Even when it doesn't those cards still have annoying uses, let's be honest)

I'm not calling for nerfs, but surely you can come up with better ways to defend that.

First of all, 4 cards out of 30 is 13% of your deck that is now comprised of cards that are situational at best. Second, to really make a DS -> IF deck you need to run high hp minions. Doubling the health on a 2/1 isn't exactly impressive. The high hp minions are either expensive or have low attack values. So that is another set of cards that aren't that useful without the first set.
Reply Quote

Hindsight is 20/20. In that situation, how was it his mistake for Earth Shocking Pagle? For starters, that's literally Earth Shock's best situation. Either finish something off, or devalue a minion with a great/board relevant ability. he didn't know what the next few cards would be, and even if he knew of the possibility of it, he was supposed to sit with his only (and best) answer to NP in his hand, ("ofc I had no hex coming any time soon") in the off chance that his opponent goes dumb with it? I run Nat. I wish someone would be dumb enough to sit with an ES in their hands while he draws me cards.

Here is someone whose attitude won't get them better.

Earthshock has major value against a priest. Its a 1 mana solution to a 4 mana lightspawn. Its THE direct counter to the inner fire divine spirit that people come here to complain about. Its also used for shifting momentum back to your side. Do you even understand the concept of mana advantage - using 1 mana to solve a 4 mana problem? Cause thats what wins you games. not an earthshocked low-impact nat pagle.
Reply Quote
These are the reasons that cards like divine spirit and inner fire should draw another card for you when you use them. Possibly increase the mana cost, but since the best they can ever do is maybe a 1 for 1 card trade, they need card draw to make them viable.
Reply Quote
04/30/2014 07:48 PMPosted by Askuriel
Tendion, it was your mistake for earthshocking the nat pagle in the first place. Just learn from your mistakes. Just because you don't have an immediate 2-drop answer doesn't mean you use what is in front of you. Realizing that is what separates a "good" from a bad player. Shamans are the worst matchup for priest.

Chronoja, experienced r10+ players see that combo a mile away. The instant you play a lightwell or shieldbearer, they know its "that deck" and will remove it asap.

Sorry but rogue is our worst matchup. Shaman is pretty bad but rogue is the worst.
Reply Quote
There's some really sketch logic at work in this thread.

The logic is not sketchy at all. People hardly use the IF/DS combo because they are predictable and easily countered and the cards are often a dead weight on your hand. Also, it is easy to figure out that you are up against such a deck (just watch what minions are played).

Example: yesterday an opponent put out lightwell at round 2 without defense. He hadn't taken any dmg etc. I knew what was coming.

Against priests, especially they drop high hitpoint minions:
1. take out the minions
2. if you cannot, have a taunter on the board
3. if you want to be super safe, keep a silence back

Sure, you will lose sporadically against such a deck. However, it hardly ever happens - and is less annoying to lose against a random Hearthrush-Netdeck.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]