Stuck at rank 12-13 with tempo rogue

http://hearthstone.blizzpro.com/2014/04/25/deck-of-the-week-10-tempo-rogue/

I'm having trouble making this deck work. I'm basically running the deck from the above article, but with assassinate subbed for TBK and Reckless Rocketeer subbed for one of the Argent Commanders. I'm particularly struggling with the priests that seem to be everywhere at my rank. I think about 1/4 of my games now are against priest. I assume they're so prevalent because Auchenai + CoH kills Auctioneer. More power to them, but I don't play Miracle, so it absolutely wrecks me when they shadow madness or cabal shadow priest a loot hoarder or Thalnos. The 2-1 they get from those cards is bad enough, but stealing some of my minimal draw power makes it a full-on disaster.

So, tempo rogues, what's your anti-priest strategy? Is there something I'm missing, as a player of middling skill, or are priests really that strong against us? Do I need to find room for a spellbreaker and ironbeak to deal with all the PW:S and Divine Spirit. I hate to use my assassinate on a buffed 4 drop, because there's probably something way bigger coming late-game, but then they just get way too much value out of their hero power. What do you do in order to not run out of steam against them?

Thanks for reading!
Reply Quote
I would go more aggressive vs priest so they don't get to the end game. The good thing is that mind control and though steal won't get them very high value cards from that deck. Also mulligan to get/keep poison so you can take out their early clerics. Same for mage mana wyrm and warlock void walker. I won a game yesterday because the priest was forced to mind control my enraged spiteful smith, didn't do him much good. Also I switched out -1 loot hoarder +1 Big game hunter and -2 yeti +2 dark iron dwarf. The dwarves synergize with BGH and bring out surprise damage even though they are slightly more situational than yeti.
Reply Quote
Do you have ragnaros? You could switch him for the rocketeer if you don't have the extra argent commander.
Reply Quote
I don't have Rag unfortunately. I do have a Leeroy, and I played 20 or so games with Leeroy and Shadowstep in the deck. I didn't feel like he won many games for me though, so I took him out after trying him for awhile with Cold Blood as well. The BGH is a tempting possibility. I have a golden Patient Assassin that I could dust to make the BGH. That card seems to show up in lots of other decks so it's probably a reasonable one to craft.
Reply Quote
BGH is a really must have if you play druid or paladin as well. I would still switch out the rocketeer for Leeroy and use cold blood instead of shadow step. You can combo stuff easier with Leeroy at least. On the deck where I run leeroy and shadow step I don't think I've had one game where I had the chance to do that combo either I don't draw them together or I was forced to use shadow step earlier.
Reply Quote
Ok, I might be sold then. Druid is my 2nd favorite hero after Valeera, although I haven't invested any dust into my Druid deck. Also, I got Tyrion from a pack when I spent down some gold recently.
Reply Quote
Probably not a bad idea. Druids and Paladins lack hard removal and it helps rogue when they are running out of steam in the late game and they drop a Rag etc. BGH can sometimes be a dead card or save you the game. FYI I'm rank 12 ATM with my rogue as well mostly because I don't have time to play enough but I'm seeing the same thing you are.
Reply Quote
Sadly, Tempo without a finisher of the Rag/Leeroy category hasn't been very successful for me. I'd be happy to see a list, but the issue of reach just keeps raising its ugly head.
Reply Quote
05/19/2014 02:26 PMPosted by WynPharaoh
Sadly, Tempo without a finisher of the Rag/Leeroy category hasn't been very successful for me. I'd be happy to see a list, but the issue of reach just keeps raising its ugly head.

It really depends on what type of deck you are going against. Switching Rag and Cairne/Leeroy for two Argent commanders is viable if you are going against more controlish decks. I was running rag for awhile but have been getting better playing the standard tempo deck. Argent Commander + Cold blood can be brutal and harder to respond to than Leeroy unless he is used as a finisher. But then I find that Lethal with Leeroy is usually overkill anyway.
Edited by Cecton on 5/19/2014 3:00 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]