Just got Antonidas, suggestions?

I just just archmage antonidas out of an arena pack and was tinkering around bit with making deck with him. I've been doing ok with the deck considering it has a few other legendaries, here's what I came up with:

2x Argent Squire
2x Mana Wyrm
2x Frostbolt
2x Loot Hoarder
2x Wild Pyromancer
2x Acolyte of Pain
1x Harvest Golem
2x Fireball
2x Polymorph
2x Defender of Argus
1x Leeroy Jenkins
2x Sen'Jin Shieldmasta
2x Water Elemental
2x Azure Drake
1x Cairne Bloodhoof
1x Flamestrike
1x Archmage Antonidas
1x Ragnaros the Firelord

Was thinking of swapping the shield masters for abominations. Right now the deck has gotten me to rank 15 about to go 14, but I feel it's missing something. Any thoughts or suggestions?
Reply Quote
In my opinion it's a little blurry and confused deck.
It seems a control deck but with the meta we're playing now, it's wiped out but any semi-aggro deck (not even mention a real aggro deck).
suggestions:
-argent squire...it's personal, but I don't like them too much. A lot better spels (missiles, mirrors, 1 lance)
-pyros for a mage? serious? even...with what? you got no spells (pyros and frost R4..by that round your pyro is already out)
- argus: for who? you don't have good minions. W-elems? 4+4, useless
- 2 acolyte? too many, 1 and the other arcane intellect
- leeroy for your control deck? don't see where. Do you use it just as counter minion/suicide mission? at this point it's better argent commander
- 2 taunts? one ok (and I'm not so sure) but 2...
- cairne? nice legendary but as sais it's a aggro meta now and you can't afford him.
- ragna or antonidas but not both.

So for me:
out:
2 squire, 2 pyros, 1 loot, 1 acolyte, 2 def argus, 1 or 2 sen'jin, leeroy cairne ragna (or antonidas).

in:
2 apprentices (!!), 1 juggler, 1 arcane intellect, 1 faerie, 1 between the 2 "enrage minions" (forgot the names) and spells! 1 missiles 1 mirrors 1 lance.
After I chose to add 1 auctioneer, 2 counterspells and 1 kir tor (the best 3 cost minion), they are so usefull. But no everybody does...
Reply Quote
As above poster said, you're deck seems a bit too "middle of the road. It has not enough late game to be a true control deck...

But it has too much for an aggro deck... so you're neither.

But you're not exactly mid range either. It's just like you put every good cards you had in your deck, without any goal in mind. What do you want? beat your opponent before he can do anything? control him until you can get out your big guys. Achieve board dominance and overwhelmed him with medium sized minions.

Either way you have to make a choice.

You don't use Leeroy in a control deck, and you do not use leeroy if you decide to get antonidas in your deck.

Same for rag, you don't use him and antonidas in the same deck.
The apprentice are vital if you play antonidas, unnecessary if you decide to keep on playing only few spells.
Above poster gave you "his style" of deck, and while my deck is really similar, I advice you before copying his proposition to look at your deck/your playstyle and think" what do I wan to do with my deck? How do I want to win?"
Big guys? pyroblast in the face? win fast? Make my opponent run out of options?

Depending on your answer, the cards you'll need to swap will change. But you need an answer to progress in rankings.
Reply Quote
I'll try it out, thanks!
Reply Quote
I guess same as my hunter deck, try to win early before they have a chance to gain speed
Reply Quote
I am not an expert - I am a pretty poor player.
But it sounds like, from what I have read around here, if you want to win before the other guy gains speed, you probably would want to win before you even get Antonidas going, so maybe he isn't good in a fast aggro deck. I am having the same issue myself.
Reply Quote
-If you are running Antonidas, you should be dropping the Squires for Missiles.
-2 water ele, 2 defender AND 2 senjin is far too heavy in the 4 mana slot imo.
-Leeroy doesn't fit too well in this deck imo. If it works well as a finisher for you, then I guess it's fine. But I don't see it being too useful.
-I'm of the opinion that Wild Pyro is not too strong in this deck, but it can work.

05/18/2014 07:52 AMPosted by Gabbia
2 apprentices (!!), 1 juggler, 1 arcane intellect, 1 faerie, 1 between the 2 "enrage minions" (forgot the names) and spells! 1 missiles 1 mirrors 1 lance.

Faerie Dragon, Jugglers, Arcane Intellects, Lance and usually Mirrors are usually used in aggro and some mid-range decks. Judging from the Cairne and Rag, the OP is going for a more late game build.
Edited by Lolerster on 5/18/2014 10:56 AM PDT
Reply Quote
05/18/2014 08:10 AMPosted by Nawasty

Same for rag, you don't use him and antonidas in the same deck.

I'm having lots of luck using both. If I notice that the other player has used their big minion removals (Destroy Minion, Sap, Hex, Sheep...etc) I'll drop Rag down first, to get a single 8 point shot off and let them take their next round taking him and whatever else i have on the field out. Which is fine because next round I drop Antonidas and a couple of spells and finish the game.

It's a huge demoralizer too to take out Rag only to have this guy show up.
Edited by BraxKedren on 5/18/2014 1:04 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I'm rank 13(was rank 11 but messed with deck) with a much much cheaper deck currently(3 epics no legs)..

First things first, pyromancer is terrible for mage, no spells are worth it for it, it's like a more expensive arcane explosion that deals damage to your own units. argent squire is no good either and loot hoarders, unless you have Knife Jugglers(which allows you to get free damage). senjin shield mastas also are not too great.

Now for the fun part:

2 arcane missiles.
2 Mana wyrm
1 acidic swamp ooze for weapons
2 faerie dragons
2 frostbolt
2 acolytes of pain
2 harvest golems
2 fireballs
2 polymorphs
2 defenders of argus
2 chillwind yetis(synergies with defenders, very easily forces a removal)
2 azure drakes
1 faceless manipulator
2 blizzards
1 cairne bloodworf
1 flamestrike
1 archmage antiondas
1 ragnoros
Edited by kiloechoesp on 5/18/2014 7:28 PM PDT
Reply Quote
05/18/2014 07:27 PMPosted by kiloechoesp
I'm rank 13(was rank 11 but messed with deck) with a much much cheaper deck currently(3 epics no legs)..

First things first, pyromancer is terrible for mage, no spells are worth it for it, it's like a more expensive arcane explosion that deals damage to your own units. argent squire is no good either and loot hoarders, unless you have Knife Jugglers(which allows you to get free damage). senjin shield mastas also are not too great.

Now for the fun part:

2 arcane missiles.
2 Mana wyrm
1 acidic swamp ooze for weapons
2 faerie dragons
2 frostbolt
2 acolytes of pain
2 harvest golems
2 fireballs
2 polymorphs
2 defenders of argus
2 chillwind yetis(synergies with defenders, very easily forces a removal)
2 azure drakes
1 faceless manipulator
2 blizzards
1 cairne bloodworf
1 flamestrike
1 archmage antiondas
1 ragnoros

I just tried this deck and have no clue how you go to rank 13 with it.

Warrior, killed me with me never being able to take out his Taunts. I play it up to the RNG.

Druid, bested me with all his taunts, say once again its the RNG

Warlock lays down a board that is full by round 5, nothing to counter. Might be RNG still but this deck is lacking in the ability to deal with anything due to not having any card draw until 5 mana, and thats only if you have the drakes in hand.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]