Archmage Antonidas

It's OP, IMO, since it gives the owner another fireball after he casts the one that he got before, resulting in endless fireballs.

I just played against a stalling mage that just got saved by that card because of it.

I played as a paladin.
Edited by Xmark120 on 5/15/2014 6:54 PM PDT
Reply Quote
The cards only OP when it's used against a millhouse manastorm.
Reply Quote
05/15/2014 06:52 PMPosted by Shaunus

That's arguably the most useless card in the game.
Reply Quote
Antonidas is one of the worst class legendaries. He is removed from play the turn after he is played 75% of the time. If you lost it was very unlikely due to antonidas and more likely because you didn't save any cards to deal with your opponent's lategame and you didn't have board control.
Reply Quote
Kill Antonidas before he starts stringing fireballs?
Reply Quote
Antonidas isn't top tier but its far from one of the worst. Basically if they don't remove it instantly you've won.
Reply Quote
05/15/2014 06:56 PMPosted by Xmark120
05/15/2014 06:52 PMPosted by Shaunus

That's arguably the most useless card in the game.

You see a corrolation?
Reply Quote
Antonidas is one of the worst class legendaries. He is removed from play the turn after he is played 75% of the time. If you lost it was very unlikely due to antonidas and more likely because you didn't save any cards to deal with your opponent's lategame and you didn't have board control.

Ragnaros is one of the worst legendaries. He is removed from play the turn after he is played 75% of the time. If you lost it was very unlikely due to Ragnaros and more likely because you didn't save any cards to deal with your opponent's lategame and you didn't have board control.

Yserais one of the worst legendaries. He is removed from play the turn after he is played 75% of the time. If you lost it was very unlikely due to Yseraand more likely because you didn't save any cards to deal with your opponent's lategame and you didn't have board control.

Tirionis one of the worst legendaries. He is removed from play the turn after he is played 75% of the time. If you lost it was very unlikely due to Tirionand more likely because you didn't save any cards to deal with your opponent's lategame and you didn't have board control.

King Crush is one of the worst legendaries. He is removed from play the turn after he is played 75% of the time. If you lost it was very unlikely due to King Crushand more likely because you didn't save any cards to deal with your opponent's lategame and you didn't have board control.

etc.

That kind of post works with every single end game legendary that's fantastic/amazing :D You too can counter any complaints about X legendary being OP. just copy this post.

But more seriously, saying archmage is one of the worst class legendaries is just silly. There's amazing combo with it. this + sorcerer apprentice + 1 1 cost spell and a 2 cost spell is basicaly already 12 damage worth given by antonidas, which is better than ragnaros.

It's not a bad class card, you can't just use it blindly like just another big guy that have to be dealt with immediately. You need to get either value out of it the turn you play it, or enough protection to make him surviving/force the opponent to waste several removal (with counterspells/spellbender/frostnova/mirror image and what not).
Reply Quote
@Nawasty: While I agree that Antonidas should not have the title of worst legendary, all of the legendaries you listed do something the turn they are summoned/has deathrattle. While Antonidas CAN do something the turn he is summoned, it requires that you save cards to be used with him. This limits your actions before he is summoned.

Of course, if it survives, or you play it with a counterspell, it's usually a win.
Edited by Lolerster on 5/16/2014 11:02 AM PDT
Reply Quote
05/16/2014 07:37 AMPosted by Nawasty

Ragnaros is one of the worst legendaries. He is removed from play the turn after he is played 75% of the time. If you lost it was very unlikely due to Ragnaros and more likely because you didn't save any cards to deal with your opponent's lategame and you didn't have board control.

Yserais one of the worst legendaries. He is removed from play the turn after he is played 75% of the time. If you lost it was very unlikely due to Yseraand more likely because you didn't save any cards to deal with your opponent's lategame and you didn't have board control.

Tirionis one of the worst legendaries. He is removed from play the turn after he is played 75% of the time. If you lost it was very unlikely due to Tirionand more likely because you didn't save any cards to deal with your opponent's lategame and you didn't have board control.

King Crush is one of the worst legendaries. He is removed from play the turn after he is played 75% of the time. If you lost it was very unlikely due to King Crushand more likely because you didn't save any cards to deal with your opponent's lategame and you didn't have board control.

etc.

That kind of post works with every single end game legendary that's fantastic/amazing :D You too can counter any complaints about X legendary being OP. just copy this post.

But more seriously, saying archmage is one of the worst class legendaries is just silly. There's amazing combo with it. this + sorcerer apprentice + 1 1 cost spell and a 2 cost spell is basicaly already 12 damage worth given by antonidas, which is better than ragnaros.

It's not a bad class card, you can't just use it blindly like just another big guy that have to be dealt with immediately. You need to get either value out of it the turn you play it, or enough protection to make him surviving/force the opponent to waste several removal (with counterspells/spellbender/frostnova/mirror image and what not).

So you're saying that this card is great when you combo it with 2-4 other cards?

That's not very legendary. With Antonidas you have to save a 1 mana spell and play him on turn 8, or just play him on turn 7 and get lucky. The latter rarely happens.

I can do 11 dmg with a frostbolt and 2 ice lances and it only costs 4 mana, and none are legendary cards. Good combos do not a legendary make.
Reply Quote
05/16/2014 12:13 PMPosted by Demandred
So you're saying that this card is great when you combo it with 2-4 other cards?

That's not very legendary. With Antonidas you have to save a 1 mana spell and play him on turn 8, or just play him on turn 7 and get lucky. The latter rarely happens.

I can do 11 dmg with a frostbolt and 2 ice lances and it only costs 4 mana, and none are legendary cards. Good combos do not a legendary make.

You're not spending any card to do it though. It's a 2-4(or more) cards combos, but you only use 2 card (antonidas and the apprentice) since everything else will give you a fireball in exchange.
You're doing eleven damage with a frostbolt and 2 icelances?
With antonidas and an apprentice I do the same, but I get 18 damage in fireballs next turn. (total 29 damage over two turn)
Reply Quote
It's a good card and if played at the right time with the right spells saved (usually mirror images/frostbolt for me) it can be a game changer. But most class specific cards are quite strong and game changing. I don't see how its any different from any other class card.
Reply Quote
Too much set up / chance to be effective under like r5 imo.
Reply Quote
05/16/2014 12:18 PMPosted by Nawasty

You're not spending any card to do it though. It's a 2-4(or more) cards combos, but you only use 2 card (antonidas and the apprentice) since everything else will give you a fireball in exchange.
You're doing eleven damage with a frostbolt and 2 icelances?
With antonidas and an apprentice I do the same, but I get 18 damage in fireballs next turn. (total 29 damage over two turn)

None of the other class legendaries require 2-4 card combos to be effective (except Edwin Van Cleef, but that is kind of the whole gimmick with Rogues). Most effective legendaries you simply play them and they do their thing. Jaraxxus, Tirion, Cenarius, Grommash. Play, get an instant bonus.

WIth Antonidas you either have to a 2-4 card combo, or hope he lives to the next turn, because otherwise he's just a 5/7 for 7 mana.
Reply Quote
2-4 card combo? really? So having him and a spell is that hard for a mage? Oh look fireball, and then i get another. And he's 5/7. He's going to take a lot of firepower to kill. Most times firepower you don't have because the mage has removed it all. so unless you have a removal spell, well good luck. He's a great legendary. I had an opponent use a coin to get a fireball. A FREAKING COIN GAVE THEM A FIREBALL LATE IN THE GAME.
Reply Quote
He'd be a better card if he only had 4 attack power. It would help make him more effective against priests. He's normally either slaughtered or if you don't count cards, he's taken control of.

He's better than Ragnaros if you can keep him alive. He's just not as good as some of the other mentioned class specific legendaries.

I tend to think the King is probably the worse legendary class specific card. Well, along with the rogue one. They are both pretty meh. Awesome in specific situations, useless in most. I've used more fireballs late in the game with 9 mana available with better results.
Reply Quote
Problem is that its hard sometimes to save your mirror images/arcane missiles or frostbolts/icelance until you play antonidas just to get a fireball. Im fighting people in the rank 8-10 range and i feel like everytime a frostbolt comes up, i actually need it or i will lose board control. Ive thought about maybe trying antonidas and just tossing him out as a 5/7 and if i get the fireballs next turn than good if not than thats fine.
Im not saving my spells just for him anymore because trying to do that is inconsistent and has lost me games before.
I havent been using him lately, but like i said i might just try it as a 5/7 without saving the combo cards.
Edited by Incorporated on 5/17/2014 10:25 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I'm rank 5 and I have a decent winrate with an archmage antonidas deck, so it's perfectly viable, you just need to build around him, and accept that sometimes, things won't work out your way. (with a miracle mage kind of deck).

Of course trying to save those spells at any cost will lose you some game... but if you also run icelance, you'll have 6 spells with 1 cost, and 2 frostbolts, you're more than likely to get one to replace the one you used. and if you don't.. well it can happen.
Reply Quote
For me it's important in almost any mage deck.
You just need to keep one (better 2) low spell such as mirrors (best) or arcane and play it R8 or R7 (with appr already on board).
After it's just a matter of "flow match". You have to guess what your adv got and potentially has as removal. It's always better with an almost empty board (no more than 1).

Best playing: R6 or 7 counterspell, appr and to keep board clean. R7 or 8, antonidas+ low spell (mirrors the best). No way to lose
or R10 antonidas + kir tor + counterspells^^

Btw, beware the power of the fireballs :D http://oi59.tinypic.com/apgphu.jpg
Reply Quote
05/18/2014 07:25 AMPosted by Gabbia
For me it's important in almost any mage deck.
You just need to keep one (better 2) low spell such as mirrors (best) or arcane and play it R8 or R7 (with appr already on board).
After it's just a matter of "flow match". You have to guess what your adv got and potentially has as removal. It's always better with an almost empty board (no more than 1).

Best playing: R6 or 7 counterspell, appr and to keep board clean. R7 or 8, antonidas+ low spell (mirrors the best). No way to lose
or R10 antonidas + kir tor + counterspells^^

Btw, beware the power of the fireballs :D http://oi59.tinypic.com/apgphu.jpg

Can you show us your decklist? That would be pretty nice!
Edited by lesJumo on 5/20/2014 9:04 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]