Make Frost Nova into a Secret

Well, it's not a secret that Mages aren't doing that well these days. The Freeze nerf hit'em hard and in all honesty they can't be fixed easily just because there's very little in terms of synergy to their cards. Mages lack the tempo, lack the card draw, lack early board control, are pushed into the spike on four mana and at the same time their biggest non-legendary minion is the Water Elemental. Therefor it's difficult to make a Mage deck that will reliably work together or the same idea for a deck can be better aplied to another class. All that Mages have to offer nowadays is brute force and that can be easily outplayed by more sophisticated decks of other classes.

I know, Naxx is coming and it can change many things around. Unfortunately it's hard to imagine that one class card is going to make Mages work again - there's just to many issues to cope with.

So my idea is to make Frost Nova into a secret activated whenever an enemy minion attacks. It's already on 3 mana, at the same time it's impact on the board doesn't feel worth the cost - it's awkward to put something relevant behind it, especially in the early-game. Making it a secret would give it some relevance in the early game because of Kirin-Tor and maybe even Arcanist or Secret Keeper. I don't think it would be much of a change to the card itself, because as long as you've got something to trigger it, it still won't affect chargers. The only change from the opposing side of view is just the fact that it would be another secret to work around, though most of the Mage secrets trigger-tests start with going for the face, so this one would be pretty self-solving. This change wouldn't make the card all that much more powerful but it would increase the synergy potential of the class.
Reply Quote
Why not just revert this stupid freeze nerf.
Reply Quote
mages are fine, they just rely on ice block more now.
Reply Quote
05/23/2014 05:31 PMPosted by Firedrop
mages are fine

I question the logic behind this, sir. Source?
Reply Quote
Well, my secret Mage is doing fine. Making Frost Nova a secret will make either it or Frost Barrier not used in any good deck (they exist for the same purpose of "pay 3, heal x")

@Friedrop, Ice block is one of the worst secrets unless your strategy is to ignore opponent's board and OTK him.
Reply Quote
05/24/2014 04:09 AMPosted by alife
Well, my secret Mage is doing fine. Making Frost Nova a secret will make either it or Frost Barrier not used in any good deck (they exist for the same purpose of "pay 3, heal x")

@Friedrop, Ice block is one of the worst secrets unless your strategy is to ignore opponent's board and OTK him.

How is ice block one of the worse secrets, its by far one of the best especially if you have pyro blast for turn 10. If you have ice block dropped on turn nine you can just hit everything to face to get your opponent under 10 and then you win with pryo blast.

I win all the time with ice block.
Reply Quote
05/22/2014 02:46 PMPosted by AJAvalanche
there's very little in terms of synergy to their cards

Yep, Mana Wyrm doesn't synergize at all with all the spells they have that come down after it.

lack early board control

Clearly mages don't have frostbolt to kill early minions or arcane missiles to pick off 1 toughness minions

lack the card draw

Never mind the fact mages have the cheapest purely draw spell in the game in Arcane Intellect....

their biggest non-legendary minion is the Water Elemental

Most other classes WISH they had a minion as good as Water Elemental. It doesn't die to kill command and in that regard is the ONLY 4 cost minion regularly played that doesn't. It prevents warriors and rogues from attacking reliably with their weapon. It freezes anything that attacks it, and it usually requires multiple minions to kill.

Please try a little harder to troll the forums.
Reply Quote
05/23/2014 05:02 PMPosted by Smash

I'm kinda late to the party. What freeze nerf are you refering to?
Reply Quote
05/25/2014 07:58 PMPosted by davelanger
05/24/2014 04:09 AMPosted by alife

How is ice block one of the worse secrets, its by far one of the best especially if you have pyro blast for turn 10. If you have ice block dropped on turn nine you can just hit everything to face to get your opponent under 10 and then you win with pryo blast.

I win all the time with ice block.

So for Ice Block to have ANY value u need:
1) good board that can put opponent below certain amount of hp.
2) u and your opponent survive till turn10
3) u have Pyroblast/combokill in hand
4) your opponent has lethal

At BEST it will heal u for 10 BUT Frost Barrier heals for 8 reliably (cuz Ice Block could have healed u for 1) and procs at any point of the game (very important against Hunters). Against Miracle Rogues Vaporize is MUCH better.
So yes, Ice block is junk, unless u r a comboMage.
Reply Quote
05/26/2014 12:36 AMPosted by BaronGraves
05/23/2014 05:02 PMPosted by Smash

I'm kinda late to the party. What freeze nerf are you refering to?

Frost Nova, Cone of Cold and Blizzard used to cost 2.3 and 5 mana, respectively. It was a nerf way back in closed beta.

Anyhow the change proposed, is kinda odd. I guess it is a tiny buff to Secrets play (though I don't see room for it in my Secrets decks) and it doesn't disturb the Doomsayer+FN combo that it is primarily used in so again, a tiny buff but nothing to write home about.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]