Druid vs. Control Warrior

I really don't understand it. Do any of you do well with any type of druid vs these warriors?

The closest I've been recently with regards to board as well as hand control, we both had two or three cards and 1 or 2 minions..and he had 27 HP + 4 Armor to my 9 HP.

It's ridiculous, I silenced his frothing berzerker perhaps one turn late, but it still wasn't a huge deal. I silenced his first Acolyte so he couldn't draw any cards with it, but Execute + Acolyte (4 mana) > AOW, and 7 Armor Shield Slam + 3 attack weapon > AOW #2. It's bull!@#$.

Another game earlier today, I finally got board control around turn 9-10, and brawl destroyed everything except a KOTG. People say the 2 armor hero power is the worst, but any hero power with this much synergy can't possibly be the worst overall.

I guess you really need 1 or 2 Ooze to counter the Gorehowl, but what about the Alex/Gromm/Firelord/whatever else the f*** they are running late game when they have 35 HP and you're almost out of hand/health?
Edited by Rahul on 5/24/2014 12:51 AM PDT
Reply Quote
You're not supposed to let the control Warrior get to the late game when he drops Alex, Grom, Rag, etc, you're supposed to win before it comes to that. Yes, it's a tough matchup but it's certainly winnable. You must maintain board control at all times, mulligan aggressively for Innervate and Wild Growth so you can drop your fatties ASAP and get to the late game before he does with them. Maintaining board control doesn't necessarily mean always trade minions, you know the Warrior's capabilities and you know that if you let the Warrior build enough armor than Shield Slam becomes massive, so don't let him build up armor. For example if you have a Druid of the Claw on the board and your opponent has an Acolyte of Pain with 2-4 armor it is generally better to hit face and remove his armor rather than kill the Acolyte who won't be able to do any damage to you. At most the Acolyte will draw him an extra card if he uses Whirlwind/Cruel Taskmaster but that's ok, he will still need to trade into the Druid of the Claw, dying regardless and the Druid will survive regardless. You don't care about his card drawing, you care about the here and now. Let him draw all the cards he wants, he only has so much mana to work with thus most of his hand will be dead anyway until later. Armorsmith, Frothing, etc are tougher to judge as their bonuses are more significant and take effect immediately, so these should be your top silence priorities, never waste a silence on an Acolyte. Warrior can't buff his minions at all other than using Cruel Taskmaster on them, so you don't need to constantly trade with them, just cherry pick their major threats and leave the rest alive, he won't be able to do anything other than suicide them into your taunt minions or do nothing, either way it's good for you, so just hit face in these situations to prevent him from hoarding armor for his Shield Slams and of course to win before he overwhelms you.
Reply Quote
05/24/2014 05:43 AMPosted by OwlRaider
You're not supposed to let the control Warrior get to the late game when he drops Alex, Grom, Rag, etc, you're supposed to win before it comes to that. Yes, it's a tough matchup but it's certainly winnable. You must maintain board control at all times, mulligan aggressively for Innervate and Wild Growth so you can drop your fatties ASAP and get to the late game before he does with them. Maintaining board control doesn't necessarily mean always trade minions, you know the Warrior's capabilities and you know that if you let the Warrior build enough armor than Shield Slam becomes massive, so don't let him build up armor. For example if you have a Druid of the Claw on the board and your opponent has an Acolyte of Pain with 2-4 armor it is generally better to hit face and remove his armor rather than kill the Acolyte who won't be able to do any damage to you. At most the Acolyte will draw him an extra card if he uses Whirlwind/Cruel Taskmaster but that's ok, he will still need to trade into the Druid of the Claw, dying regardless and the Druid will survive regardless. You don't care about his card drawing, you care about the here and now. Let him draw all the cards he wants, he only has so much mana to work with thus most of his hand will be dead anyway until later. Armorsmith, Frothing, etc are tougher to judge as their bonuses are more significant and take effect immediately, so these should be your top silence priorities, never waste a silence on an Acolyte. Warrior can't buff his minions at all other than using Cruel Taskmaster on them, so you don't need to constantly trade with them, just cherry pick their major threats and leave the rest alive, he won't be able to do anything other than suicide them into your taunt minions or do nothing, either way it's good for you, so just hit face in these situations to prevent him from hoarding armor for his Shield Slams and of course to win before he overwhelms you.

Ok I'll try ignoring his card draws and go for the armor asap instead. I feel like I run out of firepower if I do that though, and he ends up with 20+ Health when I'm pretty much out of good weapons and he has a decent board/brawl/late game bullsh**.
Reply Quote
Must have cards against control warriors:

- Harrison Jones (A strong 5/4 minion that destroys his weapon)
- Kodo (Use it to destroy his acolyte without triggering a single card-draw)
- Faceless manipulator (Duplicates his highcost legendary minion)
- BGH (8 mana Faceless + BGH Combo against Rag)
- Keeper (Only use it to silence Acolyte and Ysera)
- x2 savage roar + x1 Force of nature + x1 Innervate (22 dmg round 10 burst, 30 dmg lethal if you have a 4 cost minion on board)

With the above cards in your deck, I guarantee you will have easier times against Warriors.
Reply Quote
Of those cards, I'm running 2x faceless, 1x BGH, 2x Keeper, but that sounds like the ideal combo for killing off warriors. I don't run any force of nature anymore but maybe I will have to again.

And the other poster said not to silence Acolytes, so would you rather silence Acolytes than the Armorsmiths?
Edited by Rahul on 5/25/2014 8:28 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Things I hate about versing Warriors (in correct order):

Excecute
Shield Slam
128.000 armor
Take 3 minutes each turn to play
Ugly hero face
Reply Quote
I think the key is to apply pressure. Just put out threats.

Force him to try to remove your threats. If you have to keep removing his then you've pretty much lost. He has more late game threats AND better removals.

It also depends on what sort of deck you play. As a Ramp Druid if you pull off a Wild Growth early enough it's a pretty easy match-up regardless if you play Taunt, Roar or Control afterwards.

Token is also okay. Other type of mid range Druids do suffer a little versus Control Warrior.
Reply Quote
05/26/2014 07:24 PMPosted by dyDrawer

Force him to try to remove your threats. If you have to keep removing his then you've pretty much lost. He has more late game threats AND better removals.

It also depends on what sort of deck you play. As a Ramp Druid if you pull off a Wild Growth early enough it's a pretty easy match-up regardless if you play Taunt, Roar or Control afterwards.

Token is also okay. Other type of mid range Druids do suffer a little versus Control Warrior.

Really? I've had a couple games with an early Wild Growth or two, and still had trouble keeping pressure up with the Shield Slam/Brawl/Execute clearing every one of my mid-sized to big threats. Their removal is so cheap and so efficient, I feel like Token would probably have a better chance, with Roar/Power of the Wild.
Reply Quote
I don't think ramp is that good vs control warrior. Even if you get wild growth/innervate early and ramp up, warriors don't really care about how big your minions are because it's just as easily removed with slam+execute or shield block+shield slam. And because those removals are so cheap, they still have mana to cast their own minions which inevitably puts you on the defensive removing his minions. That way, they just get to late game fairly easily where they have more legendaries than you have removal for.
Reply Quote
Their removal is wayyy too cheap for my taste.
Edited by Rahul on 6/20/2014 12:27 AM PDT
Reply Quote
05/28/2014 12:38 PMPosted by Rahul
05/26/2014 07:24 PMPosted by dyDrawer

Really? I've had a couple games with an early Wild Growth or two, and still had trouble keeping pressure up with the Shield Slam/Brawl/Execute clearing every one of my mid-sized to big threats. Their removal is so cheap and so efficient, I feel like Token would probably have a better chance, with Roar/Power of the Wild.

Token indeed has the best matchup vs control Warrior of all the Druid decks, but the others(Ramp and Watcher) aren't hopeless. Applying pressure and eliminating his armor is the only way to go, and both Ramp and Watcher can do it somewhat effectively. It's still an uphill battle but the hill isn't too steep to climb.
Reply Quote
I'd say I win 70%+ vs control warriors playing midrange, and look forward to this matchup. My games with them usually go quite long (often run them out of cards). With midrange/ramp it is very unlikely to have a quick game, so a deck to deal with their threats is key.

I run 2x starfall, 2x swipe, 2x wrath, 2x azure drake, and bloodmage thalnos.

Druid lacks hard removal, but these spells usually allow me to drop at least one 8/8 the next turn. It is also quite amusing to drop a starfall on the baron pretty much every game.

I run 1x mark of the wild and black knight. This provides another removal option for any legendary.

I also run 1x bgh, 1x faceless, and 2x ancient of war, and cairne.

This combos nicely, as I can either faceless and bgh one of his legendaries. But sometimes this combo doesn't line up, so the other option is aow --> innervate --> faceless, on turn 10 for two ancient of wars. The other very nice option is cairne --> innervate --> faceless, or even better, cairne --> mark of the wild --> innervate --> coin --> faceless. None of these combos are likely alone, but put together, a large number of games the warrior is staring down at 2x aow's or 2x cairne's dropped in a single turn and rarely is able to deal with it.

I run 2x shieldmasta, druid of the claw, ancient of war, azure drake, ancient of lore, and cairne. Without fail I drop a minion pretty much every round and fully expect them to get shield slammed or executed. I don't care. Don't bother innervating to get your big creatures out early. The exception being the ancient of lore to draw 2 cards... almost never use it to heal. It is all about having card advantage to have the necessary drops to counter the warrior's legendaries. But by playing creatures heavily and linearly, by the time you get to your ancient of war's or big legendaries, the warrior has usually had to exhaust 3/4 of his removal.

Some warriors run brawl. Many don't seem to though. Brawl is a crapshoot rng. I sometimes hold back a bit because of this if I already have an aow on the board.

Cenarius is awesome in this matchup. I don't run any other big legendaries.

I don't run harrison jones or kodo. I usually wrath the acolytes. Harrison would be great, but is useless against so many other decks. Kodo is nice... maybe I should run him. I just ignore gorehowl. Again, I just play minions every turn. The warrior really can't do much besides remove creatures and drop a few legendaries.

At the end of the day, I think it is my spell heavy deck that puts this matchup solidly in my favour. I don't see how to win this matchup otherwise with midrange or ramp.
Edited by Meow on 5/29/2014 1:01 PM PDT
Reply Quote
05/29/2014 12:53 PMPosted by Meow
I'd say I win 70%+ vs control warriors playing midrange, and look forward to this matchup. My games with them usually go quite long (often run them out of cards). With midrange/ramp it is very unlikely to have a quick game, so a deck to deal with their threats is key.

I run 2x starfall, 2x swipe, 2x wrath, 2x azure drake, and bloodmage thalnos.

Druid lacks hard removal, but these spells usually allow me to drop at least one 8/8 the next turn. It is also quite amusing to drop a starfall on the baron pretty much every game.

I run 1x mark of the wild and black knight. This provides another removal option for any legendary.

I also run 1x bgh, 1x faceless, and 2x ancient of war, and cairne.

This combos nicely, as I can either faceless and bgh one of his legendaries. But sometimes this combo doesn't line up, so the other option is aow --> innervate --> faceless, on turn 10 for two ancient of wars. The other very nice option is cairne --> innervate --> faceless, or even better, cairne --> mark of the wild --> innervate --> coin --> faceless. None of these combos are likely alone, but put together, a large number of games the warrior is staring down at 2x aow's or 2x cairne's dropped in a single turn and rarely is able to deal with it.

I run 2x shieldmasta, druid of the claw, ancient of war, azure drake, ancient of lore, and cairne. Without fail I drop a minion pretty much every round and fully expect them to get shield slammed or executed. I don't care. Don't bother innervating to get your big creatures out early. The exception being the ancient of lore to draw 2 cards... almost never use it to heal. It is all about having card advantage to have the necessary drops to counter the warrior's legendaries. But by playing creatures heavily and linearly, by the time you get to your ancient of war's or big legendaries, the warrior has usually had to exhaust 3/4 of his removal.

Some warriors run brawl. Many don't seem to though. Brawl is a crapshoot rng. I sometimes hold back a bit because of this if I already have an aow on the board.

Cenarius is awesome in this matchup. I don't run any other big legendaries.

I don't run harrison jones or kodo. I usually wrath the acolytes. Harrison would be great, but is useless against so many other decks. Kodo is nice... maybe I should run him. I just ignore gorehowl. Again, I just play minions every turn. The warrior really can't do much besides remove creatures and drop a few legendaries.

At the end of the day, I think it is my spell heavy deck that puts this matchup solidly in my favour. I don't see how to win this matchup otherwise with midrange or ramp.

So you don't run Rag? I feel like Rag is a great card in almost every matchup so virtually every deck I've made has had Rag in it, and I guess TBK isn't needed in the control warrior matchup because they rarely use taunt.

What about Ysera? It dies quite easily to their effective removal but if you get it to stick, it seems to be really powerful. I recently have gotten better at control warrior games because I have changed some things around, and am running 2x Swipe, 2x Starfall as well. I play Ysera, Rag, TBK, Cairne, 2x Lore, and Sylvanas for my big minions/legendaries atm. No Bloodmage/BGH (recently removed it)/Faceless anymore.
Reply Quote
I sometimes win against them (with some luck), but yesterday, I lost every match against them. Shieldslam with +18 armor is just evil.
Reply Quote
I have learned that against Control Warrior, you need to be very aggressive. Do all you can to stop him having increased armor. So most of the time, I Charge Druid of the Claw. Control Warriors does not have many minions, they have lots of spells, so Charging is not a bad idea if its just gonna be taken out by a spell next turn.

I also find Cairne really useful. He survives Brawl and he can deal constant damage.

My gamplan against Control Warriors: Go aggressive! Cut those armor asap.
Reply Quote
Playing Ramp, I've found Control Warrior to be a favorably match up.
I actually feel like Hunter, Control Paladin and Control Warrior are the most favorable match ups, in that order. As in the Handlock match up, I think BGH are a key card. The ability to remove Ragnaros or Alex whenever you want are really useful. The only problem is Ysera (as I don't run Black Knight), but I usually try to save a Faceless/Keeper for it when I can.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]