Questions mage players should be asking?

Why does Shaman (a similar class) have better cards in almost every circumstance?

Why is our low dmg aoe (arcane intellect) absolutely horrible when hunter gets 2 dmg to all enemy characters?

Why is our card draw terrible?

Why do we have a less than 40% win rate vs warlock based on stats of thousands and thousands of games?

Why are our secrets so bad?

Why is Pyroblast unable to kill Ysera and other minions with 12 health? Would it not be reasonable that Pyyroblast be able to do 12 dmg to a minion?

Why is our tempo so bad?

Why can't flamestrike kill yeti?

Why is it we are so pigeonholed from doing two things in the same turn because of awkward casting costs?
Reply Quote
I think the last one you stated is the real problem, mage spells cost 1 or 2 mana to much IMO. I see cards for other classes that just blow my mind at how cheap they are for what they do.

And unless the moons align just right, you probably won't win games against classes that have cards that can do similar to ours, but for cheaper.
Reply Quote
Why do we not have cards that let us capitalize on board control when we have it.
Reply Quote
05/22/2014 09:39 PMPosted by Auro
Why do we not have cards that let us capitalize on board control when we have it.
That is the biggest problem I am facing. I have to either focus on damage to the hero, or board control. Focus too much on hero and unless I kill by turn 6 their minions usually overwhelm me, focus on board control and by the later turns 8-10 ive run out of steam seem to be stuck in a rut where it turns out to be a prolonged loss.

I am new so I am sure the mistakes I am making are plenty, but it is a common theme I am seeing among mages. Basically my wins all rely on some awsome combos and card draws, but draw mostly all minions, or mostly all spells and its usually game over for me.
Reply Quote
05/22/2014 11:13 AMPosted by Twitch
Why does Shaman (a similar class) have better cards in almost every circumstance?

Shaman has overload to balance out. Also Fireball is the best dmg to mana spell in the game.

Why is our low dmg aoe (arcane intellect) absolutely horrible when hunter gets 2 dmg to all enemy characters?

You mean Arcane Explosion. Yes it's a terrible card. But comparing to the Hunter's explosive trap is not quite correct. The hunter card is a secret and can be played around. But yes, our early AOE is terrible.

Why is our card draw terrible?

It is. The best solution is to use the Acolyte of Pain. Play him at turn 5 and ping him for a card. The opponent is forced to deal with it to limit your card draw, and more than likely you will get another card. If not, ping him again and then run him into the nearest minion for 3 cards total.

Why do we have a less than 40% win rate vs warlock based on stats of thousands and thousands of games?

Mages don't do well against zoo and aggro in general. Warlock zoo deck is really, really good at what it does, especially the recent variations. On the flipside, mages are really good against handlock.

Why are our secrets so bad?

Our secrets are amazing. Minions played under the cover of Counterspell and Spellbender are immune to the first removal casts against them. That's huge. It makes the minions we have extremely sticky, and the opponent wastes removal on them, allowing us to play our big guns safely. Ice Block is mandatory nowadays against Miracle Rogues who Shadowstep Leeroy, and Vaporise deflects damage that a minion would otherwise have done. Killing the minion is a bonus. Also, everytime a Vaporise eats a Leeroy, I do a happy dance. Mirror entity clones a minion and you can use it before your opponent does. If your opponent is smart he will play around it, but that means his play is no longer efficient - he wastes his mana playing tiny creatures because he's afraid of the secret.

TLDR: Secrets are awesome.

Why is Pyroblast unable to kill Ysera and other minions with 12 health? Would it not be reasonable that Pyyroblast be able to do 12 dmg to a minion?

Pyroblast is a terrible card. There are better ways to handle big minions like Ysera. Save a polymorph.

Why is our tempo so bad?

Because as another poster already pointed out, casting a spell sacrifices board control. Finding the balance is the key to playing mages well.

Why can't flamestrike kill yeti?

Other classes have problems dealing with the creature too, not just us.

Why is it we are so pigeonholed from doing two things in the same turn because of awkward casting costs?

Because mages were originally meant to be built around the mechanic of freezing the board. Which means that we are supposed to freeze the board (via CoC, FN, Blizz etc) and then answer the following turn.

When Blizz nerfed freeze, that went out the window - too expensive mana wise, and AOE comes too late.
Reply Quote
focus on board control and by the later turns 8-10 Ive run out of steam.

^^^^^^^^ THIS.

I find that I either try to blow my load with arcane, frostbolt, lance, fireball, and get them within 4-6, but then I'm out of cards and they have board control.

If I hold cards too long, I have 10 cards and the already mentioned awkward casting numbers of 3/4 make it so you can play and usually always leave 1 or 2 mana over.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]