Ask a legend zoo lock

05/29/2014 06:59 AMPosted by Homicidal
05/29/2014 04:52 AMPosted by Jameus

QFT. And that's what it really boils down to. This guy knows whats up.

He doesn't know any of you. Doesn't have to deal with you in person or on a day to day basis. You play to have fun, and winning is fun. Not here to please the masses.

Oh yea, I assume clicking face repeatedly is great fun

Imagine that, Homicidal in a thread to troll it. Some things never change, haha.
Reply Quote
But he does have a point, after all. I've been playing zoolock and got from rank 14 to rank 3 because zoolock is undoubtedly EZ mode. Not so much against miracle rogues, handlocks and people who can actually play the game very well. Please note: I separated "the people who can play very well" from miracle rogues and handlocks.

It's so boring to play a deck that is almost brainless, but I played zoolock nevertheless before this season ends because I wanted to see how far I can delve into places I do not belong in. I do not belong in silver league at all - much less gold league. I cannot fathom how people play zoolock for "fun" when it's nothing but a terrible bore.
Reply Quote
05/29/2014 12:19 PMPosted by TooTsaka
But he does have a point, after all. I've been playing zoolock and got from rank 14 to rank 3 because zoolock is undoubtedly EZ mode. Not so much against miracle rogues, handlocks and people who can actually play the game very well. Please note: I separated "the people who can play very well" from miracle rogues and handlocks.

It's so boring to play a deck that is almost brainless, but I played zoolock nevertheless before this season ends because I wanted to see how far I can delve into places I do not belong in. I do not belong in silver league at all - much less gold league. I cannot fathom how people play zoolock for "fun" when it's nothing but a terrible bore.

All rush decks are EZ mode, but that's the point. It's a hell of a lot less frustrating to lose when you're just dumping cards and going for the face than when you feel like you've played really well all game long and lose because your opponent dropped some silly combo on you, e.g. Leeroy+2x shadowstep+2x cold blood...while still having 15 or more cards in his deck.

It also makes the grind much less of a grind because wins and losses are quick.
Reply Quote
Is Zoo really EZ mode? I thought EZ mode was when you mocked someone else for doing something that's actually a significant accomplishment, and hiding your inability (or self-perceived inability) to accomplish the same thing behind this mockery...

EDIT: Remember, even the masters go for the face sometimes...

http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/deck/102
Edited by labmix on 5/31/2014 10:00 AM PDT
Reply Quote
05/31/2014 09:53 AMPosted by labmix
Is Zoo really EZ mode? I thought EZ mode was when you mocked someone else for doing something that's actually a significant accomplishment, and hiding your inability (or self-perceived inability) to accomplish the same thing behind this mockery...

Significant accomplishment? You mean being another person who got to legend with this deck? Yet another one, too much to count
Reply Quote
05/31/2014 10:20 AMPosted by Homicidal
Significant accomplishment? You mean being another person who got to legend with this deck? Yet another one, too much to count

Yep, that's exactly what I mean. I'm not legend, and neither are a lot of other people, Zoo players or not. The ladder grind, especially from 5 on up, isn't as easy as a lot of you want to believe it is.

Also, too much to count? Pretty sure you can count that high, my friend...
Reply Quote
05/29/2014 01:23 AMPosted by Shamano
post your decklist, and if you have any obscure choices, please explain why.
i got stuck out at rank 5 for my zoolock. too many miracle rogues

That's what they(they being bad players usually) don't realize. Once you get to rank 5 you start facing strong miracle rogue, handlock and control druid players that have no problem going up against zoo. You have to make adjustments and play with almost zero mistakes to win.
Reply Quote
05/29/2014 05:15 AMPosted by SlayerMordi
How many games did you play to reach legend from 5?
Got any advice for someone trying to reach legend with zoo?

I'm currently running a version of zoo which runs questing adventurers. Seems to work very well, however I got into a bad streak when I reached rank 1 and dropped to rank 3 again.

Still struggling to climb back up. Seems like the meta has gotten used to zoo and the likes.

I would not run questing because its a fragile card and you have to play a bunch of cards right after it to make it work, which basically runs you into a rogues bladeflurry or a handlocks hellfire/shadowflame.

For my 3 drops i had 2 Harvest golem 2 scarlet crusader 1 blood knight 1 or 2 shattered sun cleric.

The adjustment that i made that helped the most was taking out mortal coil and running 1 ironbeak owl and 2 acidic ooze. Mortal coil just did nothing against control and was mediocre against zoo.
Reply Quote
Get legendary with a real deck and maybe it would matter and people would be somewhat impressed. Get legendary with zoo and your just a mediocre player that no1 respects with an OP deck.
Reply Quote
05/31/2014 01:42 PMPosted by Timemaster
05/29/2014 01:23 AMPosted by Shamano
post your decklist, and if you have any obscure choices, please explain why.
i got stuck out at rank 5 for my zoolock. too many miracle rogues

That's what they(they being bad players usually) don't realize. Once you get to rank 5 you start facing strong miracle rogue, handlock and control druid players that have no problem going up against zoo. You have to make adjustments and play with almost zero mistakes to win.

Define zero mistakes. I simply put the most creatures I could on the field, and clicked their face, occasionally removing a taunt, and got to legend.

I'm surely not diminishing your accomplishment, but I had very little margin for error. I don't understand what these situations where errors can occur are.
Reply Quote
05/31/2014 02:26 PMPosted by iAmE
05/31/2014 01:42 PMPosted by Timemaster

Define zero mistakes. I simply put the most creatures I could on the field, and clicked their face, occasionally removing a taunt, and got to legend.

I'm surely not diminishing your accomplishment, but I had very little margin for error. I don't understand what these situations where errors can occur are.

Then you weren't playing zoo, you were playing aggro lock. And id probably stomp you if i went against you with my zoo deck by controlling the board.
Reply Quote
There's a large difference between getting 'just' to high ranks (1-3) with Zoo and actually hitting Legend with it. But of course there's a lot of people ITT going to act like it's the same thing.

To the OP, I have no questions. Just wanted to say props. I recently achieved the same yesterday. Didn't have time to reach top 100, though. Only 290. :(
Reply Quote
05/31/2014 07:01 PMPosted by Timemaster

Then you weren't playing zoo, you were playing aggro lock. And id probably stomp you if i went against you with my zoo deck by controlling the board.

You likely would, but does it matter if you could or not? I googled "Zoolock" found Rey someone's deck, played it in an aggro fashion, and less then 150 games later, went legendary.

My first time playing a warlock deck to any degree of seriousness.

What's the reason to control the board when you have lethal anyways?
Reply Quote
05/31/2014 09:53 AMPosted by labmix

A significant accomplishment would be hitting legend with a class that requires somewhat skill compared to very little.
Reply Quote
06/01/2014 04:39 AMPosted by xpowderx

A significant accomplishment would be hitting legend with a class that requires somewhat skill compared to very little.

My point exactly
Reply Quote
05/29/2014 04:52 AMPosted by Jameus
05/28/2014 05:10 PMPosted by Timemaster
Noone cares about your respect man, I got legend. Where are you at?

QFT. And that's what it really boils down to. This guy knows whats up.

He doesn't know any of you. Doesn't have to deal with you in person or on a day to day basis. You play to have fun, and winning is fun. Not here to please the masses.

Oh yea, I assume clicking face repeatedly is great fun

That and making people nerdrage over video games. Gives you a warm feeling down in the cockles of your heart.
Reply Quote
Timemaster:

Are there any versions of Zoo/Aggro Lock other then Reynads that work well?

Is 2x Arcane Golem 2x Power Overwhelming viable?
Reply Quote
Can I see your deck list please? I am interested as I play warlock quite often and would like to see what's needed to get legend
Reply Quote
I am trying a "zoo" deck right now but it loses every singe time because everyone seems to have tens of thousands AOE's. I don't think zoo decks work right now, or I have a really crappy one..
Reply Quote
06/03/2014 06:59 AMPosted by Dutchfool
Can I see your deck list please? I am interested as I play warlock quite often and would like to see what's needed to get legend

Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you. Matthew 7:7

2 Soulfire
2 Argent Squire
2 Flame imp
2 voidwalker
2 young priestess
2 acidic swamp ooze
2 amani berserker
2 dire wolf alpha
1 ironbreak owl
2 knife juggler
1 blood knight
2 harvest golem
2 scarlet crusader
1 shattered sun cleric
2 defender of argus
2 doomguard
1 argent commander

Some differences between my version and others. Mainly the 2 swamp ooze, ironbeak owl which i found helped against miracle rogue control warrior and handlock.

You win by controlling board and finishing with doomguard, soulfire, argent commander. Cards like harvest golem and scarlet crusader are important for getting past aoe.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]