Uses for Naturalize

I've come to realize that naturalize can still be used, and is merely situational. You have to use it like it's BGH that kills minions with high cost as opposed to high attack. With faceless manipulator, Naturalize is effectively mind control for 6 mana.

Naturalize can also be used to remove a taunt for lethal damage. Because it's situational, it's better to run one as opposed to 2.

I've found some success with this card against slow decks and handlocks. Handlocks drawing cards isn't particularly harmful to you: in fact, it can help you control their health descent so that they're not tapping into molten giants. You an also destroy useful cards at times since they have full hands.

It's sort of like sap, except a handlock only has 6 big scary things: 2 drakes, 2 mountain giants and 2 molten giants, so it removes a huge threat.

It's an excellent tempo play lategame. You have to be sure to kill a high cost minion (i.e. Ysera). At 1 mana, you can play a pretty huge minion. With innervate, you could kill two huge minions and copy the one of your choice twice with faceless. Nothing like going from looking at Rag and Ysera in one turn to them having an empty board and you having two Rags.

Then again, I'd only ever run one. It kind of sits in your hand as a dead card otherwise. It could also be useful with auctioneer.
Edited by AlexL on 5/29/2014 6:54 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Yup, that's why I run one of them. People fear the card draw, yeah me too, but I fear things like Ysera that I can't clear without wasting a billion cards even more.
Reply Quote
Got frustrated with naturalize last night. It showed up too many times in my early hands and could not find a place to make effective use or not in a desperate situation (such as needing card draw with an auctioneer).

Put claw in its stead. But I am sure on my ladder games tonight I will be screaming for it and wishing I had it instread of claw.
Reply Quote
05/30/2014 04:43 AMPosted by Omicidi
I run one of them.

This is the key to effective use of naturalize. This card seems more like it should be an epic because of the situational use.
Reply Quote
Who cares if they draw cards if it knocks over that stubborn taunt to give you the killing blow:)
Reply Quote
Naturalize + Nourish is a pretty solid combo so you keep up in cards. You can lose tempo that way though
Reply Quote
05/30/2014 10:57 AMPosted by Skies
I run one of them.

This is the key to effective use of naturalize. This card seems more like it should be an epic because of the situational use.

Double false. Card rarity is not based on situational usage. Additionally, the only effective way to use Naturalize is to LEARN HOW TO USE Naturalize. I run 2x. I do fine. If I lose to an opponent because they drew 2 cards after I removed something, more often than not, it's because I was losing already. It has never turned a situation around where I was winning and then suddenly lost to a combo from card draw.
Reply Quote
I use them in my mill deck
Reply Quote
I run at least one in every single one of my druid decks. Can't deny a 1 cost assasinate. Besides, it's good fun when you use it on one of your own crappy tokens when your opponent is in fatigue.
Reply Quote
Can you share some details about your mill deck?

Coldlight Oracles + Naturalize + .... ?
Reply Quote
I always use 1 Naturalize in my Druid decks, it's simply the best removal card in the game, period, as long as you use it cautiously and carefully. A 1 mana assassinate simply opens so many doors for your deck, whichever type it is, that it's insane to give it up. Yes the draw back is significant, hence the use cautiously and carefully part, but when used right the gain is well worth the risk of giving your opponent 2 extra cards. Running 2 of them really depends on the rest of your deck, usually it's overkill, but if your deck needs the additional hard removal and you're good at using it than by all means do so.

The only reason more people don't run Naturalize is because they think card advantage is the most important thing in this game, which is simply wrong. Card advantage is simply a tool, a means to an end, not the end itself nor the only tool. Several decks can win without focusing on card advantage, such as Aggro Paladin, others gain card advantage by efficient trading rather than drawing more cards like your typical Shaman deck, etc. The end goal is to get your opponent's life total to 0, use whichever means you prefer depending on your play style to reach this end, don't force yourself into certain cards just because others are using them or because they look good on paper, as if they don't fit your deck/play style they can do more harm than good despite being good cards on paper.
Reply Quote
Yup, that's why I run one of them. People fear the card draw, yeah me too, but I fear things like Ysera that I can't clear without wasting a billion cards even more.

Exactly this. When you play a handlock and he throws down a turn 4 8/8 giant, you can either sacrifice two or three cards (at least) to remove it, or you can remove it and he gets two cards. If he breaks out an ardent crusader and hits me in the face, I have to sac two cards to remove it. Or I can naturalize.

Naturalize is a great card for removing threats you would have had to sac two or more cards anyways. Rag, giants, Ysera, Tirion, etc. A lot of decks only have 1 or 2 big threats - if we reach late game, I'd rather just remove Rag and give him two cards than sac two or three of my own cards to deal with it.

And as others have mentioned, it's great for getting rid of a taunt creature to strike a killing blow.
Reply Quote
After reading these last two posts, going to start putting Naturalze in my decks (again).

My miracle token, token, watcher decks don't have/run BGH or TbK. So they need something to put down a big threat.

I stayed away from this card, as someone said Naturalize should read, "Kill a minion, opponent wins game".

But now, I can see more benefits from this card. Such as putting down a big taunts/threat, and being mroe aggressive about playing my threats in case they are facelss'd etc.
Reply Quote
I was using only 1 naturalize, but I'm back to two again. The number of times you can force opponents to destroy cards via naturalize is amazing. Especially against handlocks. They save up for that first giant, then drop him down and have 8 or 9 cards in hand. If you can naturalize it, they go to 10, maybe 11 (destroys 11th card), and then they lose another on their draw. I recently played a priest who was holding 9 cards. I played Ysera, thinking he'd probably mind control her. Sure enough, he drew, then mind controlled Ysera (back to 9 cards). I naturalized, he lost her, then he lost a Rag that he would have drawn as well. He threw down a druid of the claw that he'd stolen earlier from me and healed up, I naturalized it as well, and he lost 2 more cards - not really important ones, but its still two cards. Miracle rogues can run into a lot of problems with this too - they get down that auctioneer and manage to draw a ton of cards, but have to restealth him because they don't have win conditions yet. Then you naturalize whatever else you can and suddenly they're losing cards or even taking fatigue.

Sometimes you can double naturalize their creatures on the same turn when they already have 8 or 9 cards in hand, and they not only lose the two creatures, they lose 2-3 cards drawn. Against any control deck, it can be very effective, and having two seems three or four times as good as 1, not just double, because often they wouldn't have cards destroyed if you couldn't double naturalize them. I love situations like these, because you also get to see the cards they lose from over drawing, and the number of times I've seen people lose a legendary or epic is amazing.

Against some weenie decks it can be very bad of course, but there are a lot of games where you can naturalize that doomguard, knowing he already discarded the other with a soulfire/his first doomguard, and there are no more big threats to get through your heavy taunters left in the deck, if you can just block some minions with that ancient of war, or survive long enough to heal up with that ancient of lore you've been trying to live long enough to cast. Most those decks can stall out if you can remove 1 or 2 big cards. Ya it sucks to give up card advantage, but sometimes that 1 mana removal can be a life saver or a game winner.
Reply Quote
Also, keep in mind that it's not just that you can make them pitch useful cards when their hand is full, but sometimes the 2 cards they draw is completely irrelevant. For example. if they have 9 cards in hand when you use Naturalize, it's as if they don't draw at all from Naturalize's effect, because they were going to draw the 10th card at the start of their turn, anyway.

TL;DR - if you use it at the right time, it's a 1-cost Assassinate.

Also, someone could probably design a decent stall deck with it. If you put enough cards in your deck to make it get to Fatigue, you can use Naturalize as a win condition at the end - Naturalize will start ramping up the damage on them pretty fast. Things like Starfire, Starfall, taunts, Sylvanas, Cenarius, Doomsayers, Ancients, Ironbarks, heals... anything to slow your opponent down to get the game into Fatigue. Once it's in Fatigue, double Naturalize is 10 damage, with them taking 5 the next turn :)
Edited by Starscream on 6/11/2014 2:08 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I have 1 naturalize in my deck.

Usually I end up using it as a last-resort, or as a finisher to get something out of my way.
Reply Quote
I also find use of them in "auctioneer + naturalize" and "naturalize + force of nature + savage roar" combo's. Its a great card versus control but often a useless one versus rush.
Reply Quote
Naturalize is Druid's only hard removal. Also if your opponent has a full hand, there's zero drawback and you made them burn 2 cards.
Reply Quote
I'd love to know what rank of player actually thinks this is a good card.
Reply Quote
06/14/2014 11:51 AMPosted by Applesoup
I'd love to know what rank of player actually thinks this is a good card.

Reynad uses two in his spell/ramp druid.

Believing that it's a noob card is passé. Any time you kill something big, you gain a huge amount of tempo.
Edited by AlexL on 6/14/2014 3:41 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]