Disappointing

Ive gone out of my way to try and create my own deck, and it feels like Im doing pretty well.
But 9 times out of 10 I fight another lock its Reynads deck or some small variation.

No originality.

I hope for some mechanic changes sometime soon to force more deck variety.
Reply Quote
indeed so do i... it kind of takes a lot of the fun out of the game (much worse than hunter pre UTH nerf imo).
Reply Quote
Unfortunately people aren't creative enough to make their own decks or even change 2 cards from a deck. That's the thing I hate most about the Hearthstone community and how people copy exactly what their "favourite streamers" are playing and don't have any initiative to do anything themselves
Reply Quote
06/04/2014 06:47 AMPosted by Homicidal
Unfortunately people aren't creative enough to make their own decks or even change 2 cards from a deck. That's the thing I hate most about the Hearthstone community and how people copy exactly what their "favourite streamers" are playing and don't have any initiative to do anything themselves

Have you ever played Magic: The Gathering at any level? For example, go check out TCGPlayer's decklist page. Magic has been out for somewhere around 21 years, and yet if you look over any competitive lists for "Standard" (decks legal in the current format) almost all of the top decks are literally the same minus 1 or 2 cards, sideboard included.

With the internet's ability to spread information, and the inherent desire to win, and/or fear of failure, you will not see much deviation outside of "what works" or is played by pros/high level players.
Reply Quote
06/04/2014 07:41 AMPosted by Beedrill

Have you ever played Magic: The Gathering at any level? For example, go check out TCGPlayer's decklist page. Magic has been out for somewhere around 21 years, and yet if you look over any competitive lists for "Standard" (decks legal in the current format) almost all of the top decks are literally the same minus 1 or 2 cards, sideboard included.

With the internet's ability to spread information, and the inherent desire to win, and/or fear of failure, you will not see much deviation outside of "what works" or is played by pros/high level players.

I'm not saying it's anything new, I'm saying that it's annoying
Reply Quote
Net decking has been around since the internet became developed enough for people to play together and share information. It happens in all games, not just TCGs and definitely not just Hearthstone and it will never go away as it's part of human nature. Getting annoyed by it is acceptable yet unproductive, asking for balance changes because of it is simply being ignorant or worst. That's the way it is and it will never change, and by the way it's not limited to Zoo and Warlocks in any shape or form so I don't get why posting it here and asking for certain nerfs just to Zoo based on this extremely wide spread phenomenon.
Reply Quote
Lets play all the bordom zoo decks... Nothing can beats a newbee too play with his just earned cards and win from a high ranked cause they just want too play a decent deck.

Blizzard is really not paying attention at this moment, Their on "lol"day
Edited by RoRu on 6/4/2014 9:09 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Mind Control Tech? Anyone? Eats up dem rush decks mang
Reply Quote
I totally agree with that. Everyone seems to copy decks they find on the internet because they work great etc.
I just find it very disappointing that people don't try decks by themselves and find pretty funny combination.
But in the bright side, when i finally win with my weapon heavy rogue deck i made for myself, it's pretty satisfying ^^

that's why i'm really waiting for naxxramas, at least i won't be playing against another miracle rogue or handlock again.
Reply Quote
I find that once the creativity of deck is removed, and everyone knows what everyone is using, the game becomes much more skillful.

Instead of complaining that you know what they are doing, use it to your advantage. If you can see ahead of their plays, and can see them playing ahead of your plays, that's when the game is fun.
Reply Quote
So, your decks aren't as good as those designed and perfected by one of Hearthstone's best players so there's something wrong with the game?
Reply Quote
Why don't more football teams make up their own plays? It's like they just copy each other. I have this really cool play that involves 5 laterals and then throwing for a 70 yard TD, but all these other teams with their unoriginal net play book make it impossible to execute.
Reply Quote
06/04/2014 12:19 AMPosted by Salem
I hope for some mechanic changes sometime soon to force more deck variety.

Just wanted to say... This won't happen. It could see, potentially, them nerfing cards that are particularly over-used, maybe (especially if they are problematic for reasons of power-level or having particularly negative interactions). But they aren't going to make mechanics changes purely to force people to play a different deck-type.

Nor should they. The proper way to increase variety is to add more cards, not to try and shuffle whatever the "best" deck of a given class is artificially like you state you want them to do. As a player, the best way to increase "variety" is to play and publicize decks that consistently do well against whatever is considered "best" at the moment. Then people will change what they play (though it might not result in true variety). If you can't do that, it means the cards aren't out there, or something else is getting in the way (other decks like Miracle or Druid or whatever).

Unfortunately people aren't creative enough to make their own decks or even change 2 cards from a deck.

Huh, actually, it feels like a lot of people make minor modifications to the decks, especially to Zoo. The one with Bloodknight, the one with Argent Crusader, the more aggro bent ones with Leeroy, etc.
Reply Quote
It's just a function of not many cards around. Reynad didn't invent Zoo, he just happened to be the first popular name to use it (I built something nearly identical months earlier, just didn't have the time to grind rank).

With so few cards and MANY cards being objectively terrible, you just aren't going to get a whole lot of variety and at the same time have a competitive deck.

Look at it this way, say you want to build a Zoo-like deck. This means all minions below 5 mana, save for those with charge. Right away that limits you to about 80-90 neutral cards and 4 class cards. Then you have to consider those that will work for your deck, which removes about half of those (e.g. if you're not doing pure Murloc or Pirate, you wouldn't use those cards). Then you see the number of cards that are just plain bad (Tauren Warrior, Ironforge Rifleman, Silverback Patriarch) and can remove another 1/3 to 1/2 of what's left.

So what ends up happening is that you have a deck of 15 cards (2 copies of the good stuff) out of 30-40 possible ones. This is without looking at any synergies at all, which of course change things.

It's just not going to take very long for someone who is good at the game AND plays a lot to figure out the optimal combination of these cards and then everyone will copy him.
Reply Quote
As much as I agree with you on your point of annoying overused net decks, most of these are a result of the lack of content. For months now, the same cards have existed, and barely any changes to cards have been made. When new cards are added into circulation, it promotes players to experiment and find new ways to make decks. When the same cards exist for months and months without any changes, eventually we arrive at this point in time where you can tell what deck your opponent has on turn 1.

Think of it like a puzzle. The goal is to figure out a deck that will have the most successful chance of winning against the widest variety of opponents. Some people would prefer to create their own "solution" to this puzzle using trial and error, coupled with hard work. Most people however would prefer to take the easy way, and use a deck where someone has already done all the work figuring out which cards work well together so they can get up the ladder as fast as possible.

On the bright side though, these people are likely to get bored with the game after a very short time because their only gameplay value comes from climbing the ladder with a cheap deck that requires minimal thinking. You and I however, we're of a different breed. We like to make our own decks, figure things out for ourselves, and when our decks one day make it to legendary rank, victory will be all the sweeter.

tl;dr. Feel sorry for net deck users because they're just cheating themselves out of the satisfaction of seeing their own hard work and creativity taking them up the ladder.
Reply Quote
A player named Amaterasu had a zoolock like deck back in November last year, so it's definitely not something new, just more popular now due to the use of a streamer of it.
Reply Quote
I only ever play my own decks. I nearly reached rank 5 just playing my druid ramp deck (not even remotely similar to the current net deck). In the good old days of high school Magic: the Gathering nobody ever copied decks from the internet and very few of us min/maxed, it was all about having fun.

To be completely blunt, reaching the "top" of a TCG by using a min/maxed deck you didn't make isn't reaching the top. You skipped more than half of the strategy involved in a TCG. Building a perfect deck is far harder than playing a deck perfectly.

Right now I'm sitting at rank ~10 with my control/mad heals paladin deck. At this rank it feels like 25% miracle rogue, 25% zoolock, 15% druid ramp, 10% handlock, 10% budget shaman, 10% mage aggro or control/nuke, 5% originality. Last time I checked those 6 decks were all near the top of hearthpwn, so whatever. At least it brings a smile to my face every time I verse someone that is trying something new.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]