Lj's Rank 1 88% win - Mage Spellcaster Deck

Here is the video with commentary about why I chose certain things and game play so you can see how I like to play it. Deck list is under the video in comments or right here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRETTNfvFd4

Deck List:
2 - Ice Lance
2 - Mirror Image
2 - Frostbolt
1 - Bloodmage Thalnos
2 - Doomsayer
2 - Novice Engineer
2 - Arcane Intellect
2 - Frost Nova
2 - Ice Barrier
2 - Ice Block
2 - Acolyte of Pain
2 - Fireball
2 - Azure Drake
2 - Blizzard
1 - Alexstrasza
2 - Pyroblast

Deck was somewhat popular last week and I saw some weaknesses in the deck lists that were posted and did some tweaks that makes it much more competitive against all decks! Check the vid out for explanations! Thanks!
Edited by Lawrencejame on 6/2/2014 6:22 PM PDT
Reply Quote
This is great man, but it's just Atom freeze deck with 2 cards swapped. I'm using it too ATM, feels really strong.

For anyone wondering about the win % it's probably accurate.. This deck is super good with the meta the way it is.
Edited by Whiz on 6/2/2014 11:39 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Looks for video link.... also looks like it could be lots of fun. If only I had a Alex and a Bloodmage :(

Edit: found video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRETTNfvFd4
Edited by Auro on 6/2/2014 6:30 PM PDT
Reply Quote
06/02/2014 06:18 PMPosted by Auro
Looks for video link.... also looks like it could be lots of fun. If only I had a Alex and a Bloodmage :(

Whoops, sorry about that, not sure how I forgot the link. Fixed and thanks for letting me know! Here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRETTNfvFd4

As far as not having the Alex and Bloodmage, I address that issue in the video, but I'll let you know what I think here: Bloodmage isn't necessary, you can get away with a Kobold Geomancer in its spot to give you the turn 10 extra burst damage. Obviously Kobold isn't as good without the draw power, but a lot of games you just use Bloodmage for the 1 extra spell power for the finisher. Alex is very important in this deck and I am not sure if you can run without it, but if you do, make sure you have the 2nd pyroblast to make up for some of the damage. Thanks for the comment and check out the vid, you'll love it!
Edited by Lawrencejame on 6/2/2014 6:32 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Really nice deck, great fun to play. Takes some thought and careful play, but so rewarding to get that 1 health ice block into lethal.

Edit: Also if Alex is in the bottom 3 or so of your cards you just seem to auto lose. That is a frustrating game when that happens >.<
Edited by harbinger297 on 6/2/2014 7:48 PM PDT
Reply Quote
a new deck. good job!
Reply Quote
Really nice deck, great fun to play. Takes some thought and careful play, but so rewarding to get that 1 health ice block into lethal.

Edit: Also if Alex is in the bottom 3 or so of your cards you just seem to auto lose. That is a frustrating game when that happens >.<

Hello there, thanks for the comment glad you enjoy it. My thoughts on Alex is that you don't need him in a lot of your games. You have more than enough damage with your spells to do well over 30 damage. If you are at turn 7 - 8 and you still haven't drawn Alex, its best to start going to the face and planning ahead with how much damage you can pop out (this is all depending on your match up and assuming you aren't playing vs control warrior or control paladin, in which case you would have to stall out until Alex is ready). Against Zoo/Handlock, Alex is pretty much a useless card, other than to heal you with if you need the extra turns.

Keep practicing and I promise you will get less frustrated with bad draws. This deck has some of the best draw power any viable deck could give you, meaning you will get Alex much more than another deck would. Thanks again for the comment and let me know if you want any specific advice for certain match-ups!
Edited by Lawrencejame on 6/2/2014 8:14 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Probably my biggest questions would be miracle rouge and control warrior.

Now, as far as control warrior goes, if you don't draw the alex how should you play it out? Since they will have a lot of armour up, going to the face seems silly.

Miracle rouge; they have similar kind of burst damage potential that you do, how should you play it out? If you wait for alex/pyro they can squeeze out bigger combos before you can.

I think my biggest things with this deck are when to use spells to trade off minions, when to leave them for frost nova/doomsayer and how much damage is too much damage (Ie. if they have, lets say, two 3/3 creatures on the board should you doom sayer/frostnova? Or just take the damage?

Should you use frostbolts to take favourable trades against minions? Or save it for the ice lance combos? Are fireballs viable removal of minions or should they be aimed at hitting face?

I watched the video but its quite a small sample size of decks, so some of the trades are difficult to gauge.
Reply Quote
Credit the person that made the deck.
Reply Quote
06/02/2014 08:22 PMPosted by harbinger297
Probably my biggest questions would be miracle rouge and control warrior.

Now, as far as control warrior goes, if you don't draw the alex how should you play it out? Since they will have a lot of armour up, going to the face seems silly.

Miracle rouge; they have similar kind of burst damage potential that you do, how should you play it out? If you wait for alex/pyro they can squeeze out bigger combos before you can.

I think my biggest things with this deck are when to use spells to trade off minions, when to leave them for frost nova/doomsayer and how much damage is too much damage (Ie. if they have, lets say, two 3/3 creatures on the board should you doom sayer/frostnova? Or just take the damage?

Should you use frostbolts to take favourable trades against minions? Or save it for the ice lance combos? Are fireballs viable removal of minions or should they be aimed at hitting face?

I watched the video but its quite a small sample size of decks, so some of the trades are difficult to gauge.

Against Miracle Rogue you should be winning around 80 percent of the time. Get your iceblock and armor secrets up asap when you can spare the mana without hurting your card draw. Don't wait for Alex this turn, combo your spells into his face as soon as turn 5 - 6 and when you don't have draw power cards. Don't be afraid to throw doomsayer out on turn 5 - 6, if he doesn't have clean removal it will keep him from using gadget. The reason you are favored however is because of your secrets, it will always seem like a close game, but 1 iceblock should win you the game most of the time. Just make sure you are paying attention to what spells you can cast the next couple turns to combo out the most possible damage. Mulligan for iceblocks, armor secrets and draw power.

Against control warrior, you have to use draw power and get massive combos + Alex in your hand. You cannot afford to use any of your spells to his minions, once you can get Alex out, he will have a ton of armor, but its still possible on your next couple turns to pull out the win. The warrior should win this one about 3/4th of the time sadly.

As far as your question about where to send your spells (face or removal), that is the one thing that is great about this gimmicky deck compared to other gimmicky decks, you have many many countless ways to get the win. The deck does not rely on one combo to get you a win, against most match-ups. So when deciding to use spells as removal or to the face, you have to look at your hand and look at what your opponent is playing. As a general rule with the deck you want them to build up a board and then make them pay with freezes or doomsayers, but if they aren't playing many minions and you aren't in a rush (maybe you have Alex in your hand or you have a lot of draw power cards), than by all means you can use your fireballs, frostbolts to clear minions. There is really no answer for, you do "this" everygame. Your hands will change, momentum will change, your opponents play style will change, so I can't give you an exact response. You will get better with the deck over time and learn when to make these trades and when not to. As a general rule, I would say clear the field if you can for cheap or you absolutely have to, to survive.

Subscribe on my channel if you want to see more mage videos, I'll try to get up some of the "how to's" to the harder or most common match-ups.
Reply Quote
06/03/2014 04:47 AMPosted by Whiz
Credit the person that made the deck.

Hmm? The deck was originally inspired from people I have played against on the ladder. It is not the same as any of those decks you linked. In a game where there are such few cards and as many staples as this game has, changing 3 - 5 cards is changing a deck significantly. There is only so much creativity you can have in a game like hearthstone. Just because its a freeze mage, something that has been around since the start of hearthstone, doesn't mean I have to give credit to someone else who did the same thing I have done. The general idea is the same as freeze mage, but the playstyle and how you get there is different. This will be the only time I respond to this, as it appears you keep posting here to try and prove something for no reason. If you do not enjoy the decklist or video, by all means, move along.
Reply Quote
Hi LJ,

I have been using this deck since yesterday, played about 40-50 games but only won about 10 (dropped countless ranked). I think i still haven't fully understand how to use a control deck, is there any chance you can explain this deck in details?

I have been perform very well on rush and aggro deck, but having trouble with control/spell caster deck. Please Help. Thanks

P.S English is not my first language, but I tried.
Reply Quote
06/04/2014 05:05 AMPosted by Kevin
Hi LJ,

I have been using this deck since yesterday, played about 40-50 games but only won about 10 (dropped countless ranked). I think i still haven't fully understand how to use a control deck, is there any chance you can explain this deck in details?

I have been perform very well on rush and aggro deck, but having trouble with control/spell caster deck. Please Help. Thanks

P.S English is not my first language, but I tried.

Hey there Kevin. First off, sorry to hear you have had some rough times with the deck, lets see if I can help. This deck plays differently than any other deck I've ever played. In rush decks, you are looking to spend your mana the most efficient way and apply pressure to either the board or your opponents life points. In control decks, you are reacting to every minion your opponent plays and sprinkling in some of your own minions to set up a win for the later stages of the game. This mage deck plays completely different than both of those. You have to be very patient with the mage deck, relying on your armor secrets and freezes to get you into the late game, which is where you need to start totaling up your damage and looking for combos to win the game. Sometimes that means staring at 3 - 4 minions on the board and doing nothing mid game (waiting to get the most out of a freeze, blizzard, or doomsayer). If you are consistently losing to rush decks, its probably because you are not using your clears and freezes properly (maybe using them too soon, or not mulligan'ing correctly for draw power early). I think the #1 mistake I see people do with this deck is rush it. For instance, my games have been ending with me only having 2 - 3 cards left in the deck, sometimes none. Perhaps you could let me know what decks you are losing to specifically and I could give you advice on those.
Reply Quote
I like this deck a lot. I had been playing a similar mage deck, except with Antonidas, so I know the play style. I love control decks, and this one is a lot of fun.

The only downside I see to decks like this is what to do vs Druids/Paladin that heal up right after you Alex them. I think you're pretty much screwed at that point. Happened to me a couple times yesterday.

One of my favorite things about this deck, and similar decks, is taking the opponent to 0 health when they have their entire board filled with minions and I have none. I was playing a Zoo warlock and literally tormented him for 4 turns, alternating between Nova, Ice Block, Blizzard, Ice Block... just slowly taking him down health and watching him eat away at his own health for the card draw, then finishing with a Pyro to the face. Same thing with Aggro Paladin. So satisfying.
Reply Quote
06/04/2014 07:41 AMPosted by AstralAbyss
I like this deck a lot. I had been playing a similar mage deck, except with Antonidas, so I know the play style. I love control decks, and this one is a lot of fun.

The only downside I see to decks like this is what to do vs Druids/Paladin that heal up right after you Alex them. I think you're pretty much screwed at that point. Happened to me a couple times yesterday.

One of my favorite things about this deck, and similar decks, is taking the opponent to 0 health when they have their entire board filled with minions and I have none. I was playing a Zoo warlock and literally tormented him for 4 turns, alternating between Nova, Ice Block, Blizzard, Ice Block... just slowly taking him down health and watching him eat away at his own health for the card draw, then finishing with a Pyro to the face. Same thing with Aggro Paladin. So satisfying.

Haha, love what you said about facing aggro and couldn't agree more, very satisfying! As far as the Druid/Paladin matchup and to some extent priest/warrior control, this is the main reason I put in two pyroblasts. Since I made that change I have yet to lose to a healing class, still have issues with control warrior, but usually because they can end the game before I get the 2nd pyro off. Try your deck with another pyro and if you do, let me know how it goes!
Reply Quote
Not sure about 88% win rate on this deck. I have tried it for 10 matches. Win rate 10% - and that was close. Appreciate you sharing the idea but I don't think I'll be switching to this :) It's extremely reliant on pure luck with card draw and doesn't seem to do well at all vs huntards.

Personally I think minions are still the way to go, but hey, everybody is different!
Reply Quote
Couple questions; would antonidas be suitable to replace Alex with? What about a pyromancer combo for acolyte? No addict? No mana wyrm? No poly? Flamestrike too much of a mana curve deviation?

I understand this is a stall deck, I'm just curious if you feel anything else may make it stronger so your games don't last so long? Or is the fact it's basically all spells/stall it's main strength?
Reply Quote
06/05/2014 09:09 AMPosted by Scerion
Not sure about 88% win rate on this deck. I have tried it for 10 matches. Win rate 10% - and that was close. Appreciate you sharing the idea but I don't think I'll be switching to this :) It's extremely reliant on pure luck with card draw and doesn't seem to do well at all vs huntards.

Personally I think minions are still the way to go, but hey, everybody is different!

88% depends on what you queue into of course. Hunters are not a problem. I climbed with this deck from 20 to 6 (then fell back to 8 for toying around with various druid / paladin decks) and only lost games on rare occasions to Miracle or Warlocks, twice vs control paladin that had 2 GoK and 2 lay of hands (impossible to beat if he has them in hand and can play one after another as soon as you drop Alex), and obviously every single control warrior that knew to press his armor up button instead of trying to dps me down.

The deck is very reliable, you smoke hunters with it because you literally don't care about what minions he puts on board - you always trade yours with his and never hit face if he has traps down, you try to bait his flares early on and force him to pop your ice barrier to give you more sustain vs his 2-4 dmg charge minions (as you will obviously take this damage most of the time) and just burn him, all spells to the face (not as soon as you get them, try to combo them to get most of your damage out).

Only horrible starting hand and perfect start / draws for aggro will be a problem (but for who isn't), because if you start with no good draw, no barrier etc, they can get you too low by turn 5-6 when you can make a comeback (which you usually can if you get good draws).

The deck is made to stall till turn 9-10 depending on opponent, but you win in 2 turns usually from that point.

TBH outside of aggro vs aggro there are no fast games, most will get to turn 10 and beyond.

Regarding miracle rogue, there are 2 ways / strategies to win, depending on cards and what he plays. First you can normally just stall and buff armor x 2, nova his stuff etc - You won't need Alex in this scenario if he goes to attack your minions (like drakes, that's 8 damage right there, plus whatever you deal with auctioneers / engineers or loot hoarders), you just need to get your burst in hand and unload on turn 9 or 10. Second, you outlast him. You don't kill gadgeztan. You just bait his eviscerates / saps / backstabs etc with value minions (like drakes, acolytes, thalnos, Alex when you get there etc), and just control his board with novas into blizzards / icelances etc and force him to kill himself from overdrawing (had several games ending like this, you can stall very well in late game with mirror images when his board is frozen and leeroy gone).
Reply Quote
I'm thinking of throwing in Antonidas because even with the extra Pyro I'm still running out of steam on every control warrior. Any suggestions what to replace? I was thinking one of the acolytes or an engineer.
Reply Quote
Why run 2 Pyros and not 1 Flamestrike?

The only time when you can cast back to back 2 pyros is when you've already run (little to no enemy board presence, safe amount of HP with iceblock / barrier up), usually you Alex into pyro - and you get IB pop same turn, then next turn you can IB again and finish with w/e spells you have left.

Flamestrike is one of the few 100% proof dispose of auctioneer in rogue matchups, you simply can't afford to play control at that point in the game (to nova or blizzard rogue board while still dealing damage etc).
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]