Lj's Rank 1 88% win - Mage Spellcaster Deck

Please all use this deck and get mages their well-deserved nerf, don't forget to yell "mages are the weakest together with priest" as priest raises one eyebrow at your overpowered numbskull spells.
Reply Quote
Oh look, it's Version 37 of the totally non-interactive Freeze Mage deck.

Imagine the biggest yawn you've ever seen. Now double that.

You're still not even close to how much I just yawned.
Reply Quote
Why are people over here raging at mage still? Go do something useful like hassle miracle rogoue. Mage isn't op.
Reply Quote
06/05/2014 10:56 AMPosted by Unyielding
Couple questions; would antonidas be suitable to replace Alex with? What about a pyromancer combo for acolyte? No addict? No mana wyrm? No poly? Flamestrike too much of a mana curve deviation?

I understand this is a stall deck, I'm just curious if you feel anything else may make it stronger so your games don't last so long? Or is the fact it's basically all spells/stall it's main strength?

Hey there! So replacing Alex would be next to impossible, as far as adding in the Antonidas, I don't think it would be a great choice in this deck with this build. There is not enough small mana costs to get good use out of Anton's effect. The pyro would rely too much on a wombo combo and at best it could be only slightly better than Acolyte-ping, but would require more mana. No addict because you are relying on going with spells to the face, no mana wyrm for the same exact reason. Poly is an okay choice, but doesn't synergize at all with the deck. Remember the idea is not to clear minions off your opponents board, rather freezing them until you can wombo combo with Alex+spells. Flamestrike you can add if you want, I haven't found it to be needed or wanted in most games.
Reply Quote
06/06/2014 09:11 PMPosted by harbinger297
Why are people over here raging at mage still? Go do something useful like hassle miracle rogoue. Mage isn't op.

Because they're useless players who can't even beat the weakest class in the game currently :) They're just typing through their tears...
Reply Quote
http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/58909-otter-pops

-1 flamestrike
+1 pyroblast
Reply Quote
made the cards I need and tested this deck, yet to lose in casual, freaking hilarious and fun
Reply Quote
Why not just play a frost giants mage. They are actually decent vs miracle and zoolock and you get beefy guys out to scare them.
Reply Quote
06/07/2014 09:27 PMPosted by Sef
made the cards I need and tested this deck, yet to lose in casual, freaking hilarious and fun

Haha, good to hear buddy! Glad you enjoy it!
Reply Quote
06/04/2014 07:51 AMPosted by Lawrencejame
06/04/2014 07:41 AMPosted by AstralAbyss
I like this deck a lot. I had been playing a similar mage deck, except with Antonidas, so I know the play style. I love control decks, and this one is a lot of fun.

The only downside I see to decks like this is what to do vs Druids/Paladin that heal up right after you Alex them. I think you're pretty much screwed at that point. Happened to me a couple times yesterday.

One of my favorite things about this deck, and similar decks, is taking the opponent to 0 health when they have their entire board filled with minions and I have none. I was playing a Zoo warlock and literally tormented him for 4 turns, alternating between Nova, Ice Block, Blizzard, Ice Block... just slowly taking him down health and watching him eat away at his own health for the card draw, then finishing with a Pyro to the face. Same thing with Aggro Paladin. So satisfying.

Haha, love what you said about facing aggro and couldn't agree more, very satisfying! As far as the Druid/Paladin matchup and to some extent priest/warrior control, this is the main reason I put in two pyroblasts. Since I made that change I have yet to lose to a healing class, still have issues with control warrior, but usually because they can end the game before I get the 2nd pyro off. Try your deck with another pyro and if you do, let me know how it goes!

Hehe, well I don't know of any deck that doesn't have a weakness against at least one type of deck. I don't think we will be able to build a deck like that. That being said, what this deck does seem to do well is control the aggro matchup. You have your doomsayers, along with Frost Nova and Blizzard to protect them. You have your ice barrier that is very useful against zoo type decks that have individual minions without huge attacks.

Part of the issue that people are probably having with this deck is understanding your mulligan decisions and when to play your spells. You can't just toss a frost nova down as soon as you have the mana, because you are afraid to take damage. You ideally want to use it to protect your Doomsayer once you pop it down on a board with a lot of minions on the other side. The doomsayer is big enough to survive a charge minion, but may not be big enough to survive a board full of zoo minions.

That being said, the deck looks fun to play. I am not sure about the 89% win rate notion, but I think it is a very good deck. Also, who really cares if it is extremely similar to other decks. There are very few decks out there that are completely original.
Reply Quote
06/02/2014 08:11 PMPosted by Lawrencejame
My thoughts on Alex is that you don't need him in a lot of your games.

Alexstrasza is female :P
Reply Quote
doomslayer just doesnt seem to be effective for me.

Probably played a dozen games and it really only went off once. With most classes having hard removal options I need to be super lucky to get it off.

I try to combo freeze -> doomslayer

but i wonder if it would just be worthy to pop him by himself early as a taunt to get deeper into the game without taking damage/new enemy minions
Reply Quote
likely depending on the class. If its a lock the combo would likely work most of the time.

I may try to just drop doomslayer on a enemy board that has 1 to no minion just to automatically get a turn closer to 9/10 mana. All situational though. Just seems like a shaman/mage will likely have an answer almost all the time
Reply Quote
I've been playing hunter against this deck (or variations of it) and it's actually pretty simple to beat with a couple of flares and keeping back some removal for the doomsayers. Eaglehorn Bow loves it too :) Now that so many people are using this, it's pretty much free wins for me :) The only time I've seen Alexstraza come out, it's to heal up the mage and delay the obvious. Likewise, control warriors, and priests with any self awareness can trash a mage using this.
Edited by Scerion on 6/10/2014 6:07 AM PDT
Reply Quote
fun deck... takes a little getting used to for me and had an issue against a nasty rogue.. (hahahaha) but overall very interesting deck. Feels like you are a rattlesnake.. just waiting for your prey to come to you and then a big strike and it is all over and done with.

Nice deck. Works well from based on my results thus far.
Reply Quote
Tried it around 6-9 (well 6 fell from 6-9 playing it). Seemed very ineffective to be honest.

The frost nova with Doomsayer while seems like a good combo gets neutered by most everyone.

Very boring slow games that I ended up losing.

Disappointed I wasted some dust to pick up a few cards I didn't have to try this.
Reply Quote
yea I was baited into thinking it was a better deck than it really was. Fun at times, but def wasn't worth the dust to make it. Wish I never did.

88% win rate is def wrong and you have to have incredible luck draw to beat aggro. Idk how many times i beg for something to keep myself alive and I am just too helpless finding myself facing against 5+ minions.

Doomslayer only has about a 20% working rate. Just not as good of a deck as proclaimed
Reply Quote
I also know I am playing the match right whenever I lose because of how limited my options are. Not too much decision making till late
Reply Quote
I hate losing to decks when you know what is coming and there is nothing you can do, despite playing perfectly.

Yippee!
Reply Quote
@Naysayers

I just started playing the Deck and Yes its good, Yes Doomslayer and Alex are Key, 2nd Iceblock not so sure yet, If your playing this deck and your failing, then rewatch the video your most likely not getting enough draw power in your first few rounds always try to get cards that give you draw power and you should do a lot better .

I am debating switching engineers for loot horder tho any comments on that? I'm just finding having too much draw power sometimes too early and mixed with the engineers not being able to take out many 1 or 2 drops which can be critical or creating any pressure at all
Edited by Qpac on 6/13/2014 5:11 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]