doom guard and soul fire need nerf

06/08/2014 02:38 AMPosted by Lostsage

Magic has some broken mechanics dude.... Lol. Don't ever watch legacy or participate in a legacy event ever please.

Magic does get insane, but there are many ways to counter things or play around things (and you have a sideboard to deal with them) + they ban cards that are too OP. Furthermore almost no1 plays legacy... in modern/standard such broken mechanics are very rarely seen, and when they are seen the cards are banned or restricted -- hence why Soul fire and Doom guard need to be nerfed.

Modern has some crazy decks too!

Tron... that deck Rips.

You are right though, one thing magic has, which I believe hearthstone needs are counters. Interrupts.
Reply Quote
06/08/2014 02:41 AMPosted by DiggerSimon

Magic does get insane, but there are many ways to counter things or play around things (and you have a sideboard to deal with them) + they ban cards that are too OP. Furthermore almost no1 plays legacy... in modern/standard such broken mechanics are very rarely seen, and when they are seen the cards are banned or restricted -- hence why Soul fire and Doom guard need to be nerfed.

Modern has some crazy decks too!

Tron... that deck Rips.

You are right though, one thing magic has, which I believe hearthstone needs are counters. Interrupts.

i totaly aggree thing need more counter stuff
Reply Quote
06/08/2014 02:34 AMPosted by DiggerSimon
06/08/2014 02:25 AMPosted by shalesey
I honestly think once Nax hits and the dust settles we will see some balancing coming to warlock cards,

I think people are over reacting to some of the most underwhelming cards in the game.

Soulfire and doomguard are the largest tempo swings in zoo deck. If they get nerfed then it stops just beating everything for free.

Anyone that doesn't realise that a 7 health creature with charge for 5 mana and a 4 damage spell for free aren't the best 2 cards in zoo deck, is clearly playing in wood league.
Edited by shalesey on 6/8/2014 3:23 AM PDT
Reply Quote
they arent best but they are HUGE game changers... wich are waay 2 strong for cost...
Reply Quote
Take a zoo deck, remove soulfire and doomguard. Play 10 games on ladder. Record wins. Add soulfire and doomguard back in. Repeat. Let me know the results.
Reply Quote
You talk about situations where a doomguard is topdecked at turn 5 with no cards in hand. I mainly use zoo to rank up. And this happens like in 1 of 20 games. Sometimes you are stucked with 2 Soulfire or 2 doomguard in hand. And then the cards are dead cards. The dream soulfire or doomguard is super rare.
Reply Quote
hmm every 2nd or 3rd game i see zoo lock get his skillsoul or skill guard from 0 card hand...
Reply Quote
06/08/2014 03:35 AMPosted by Freakygoll
You talk about situations where a doomguard is topdecked at turn 5 with no cards in hand. I mainly use zoo to rank up. And this happens like in 1 of 20 games. Sometimes you are stucked with 2 Soulfire or 2 doomguard in hand. And then the cards are dead cards. The dream soulfire or doomguard is super rare.

You are probably playing the deck wrong then. It's pretty key to dump a soulfire early if you have it in hand to prevent your opponent getting any board presence. Discarding a card doesn't hurt your own tempo as you can just use hero power to catch up. Clearing a 1-4 health minion of your opponents while building a huge board is much more essential than caring about discarding one card.

Doomguards can also be played turn 5 with 3 cards in hand if the resulting tempo swing prevents your opponent building a board or if it puts you in lethal range in the next 1-2 turns. Because trying to remove a 7 health minion with only 2 removal spells that remove it completely after you have probably expended all your removal trying to keep up in turn 1-4, is what makes zoo so powerful.
Reply Quote
06/08/2014 03:45 AMPosted by shalesey
06/08/2014 03:35 AMPosted by Freakygoll

You are probably playing the deck wrong then. It's pretty key to dump a soulfire early if you have it in hand to prevent your opponent getting any board presence. Discarding a card doesn't hurt your own tempo as you can just use hero power to catch up. Clearing a 1-4 health minion of your opponents while building a huge board is much more essential than caring about discarding one card.

Doomguards can also be played turn 5 with 3 cards in hand if the resulting tempo swing prevents your opponent building a board or if it puts you in lethal range in the next 1-2 turns. Because trying to remove a 7 health minion with only 2 removal spells that remove it completely after you have probably expended all your removal trying to keep up in turn 1-4, is what makes zoo so powerful.

Pretty much this, even when they do discard cards, the tempo they gain and mana advantage(especially with soul fire) is insane and generally very hard for most decks to deal with. imo they need rework a lot of the warlock cards(mostly demons) and then add a 1 mana cost for soulfire -- it would still be a top tier spell but not so game breaking.
Reply Quote
Just look at the current meta. It's not fun to face zoolock all the time you face a warlock. That experience alone tells me something is overpowered with the zoolock build. Even if I get a perfect draw, it is still hard to beat it.
Reply Quote
06/08/2014 02:00 AMPosted by Thanatosia
I posted this in a thread a few days ago, but it didn't seem well recieved, but I always thought a good compromise for Doomguard/Soulfire would be to let them be cast at reduced effect off an empty hand, but require the discard for full effect... for example:

Soulfire 0 mana
Deal 2 damage. Discard a card at random, if you discard a card to this effect, Soulfire deals an additional 2 damage.

Doomguard 5 mana
Charge 5/1
Battlecry: Discard 2 cards at random. For each card discarded to it's battlecry, Doomguard gains +3 Health.

If anything ends up nerfed, I hope it's in a way similar to your suggestions.

Quite brilliant, really.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]