Zoolock as it's ment to be or...?

The last 3 seasons Zoolock was ment as a control deck, controlling the board while dealing damage where you could. All of a sudden it's turned into some sort of rush deck lol... I've seen people add overwhelming power+Leeroy, Leper Gnomes etc. I personally liked it better as a control deck but that doesn't seem to be the flavor of this season. Anyone got a link to a standard Zoolock rush deck? I'm curious how different they are compared to the control version i've been using on and off for the last 3 seasons.

Before all the hate flows in, Yes, my warlock is level 60. My other classes are level 45-50 except hunter which is like 22 cuz the hell with hunter, so I play ALL classes/decks ;p However, this new zoolock has me very curious.
Reply Quote
A warlock deck with leper gnomes and Leeroy is not Zoo. It looks like Zoo but that doesn't mean it is. Very common misconception. This also isn't new, it's just called Warlock Rush. It has wolfriders & hellfire too, aka not Zoo.

You can find the standard Zoo deck on tempostorm.com - I basically use the same list except I switch a Harvest Golem for a BK, which is necessary at high ranks.
Edited by Kuncussion on 6/8/2014 2:43 PM PDT
Reply Quote
06/08/2014 02:43 PMPosted by Kuncussion
A warlock deck with leper gnomes and Leeroy is not Zoo. It looks like Zoo but that doesn't mean it is. Very common misconception. This also isn't new, it's just called Warlock Rush. It has wolfriders & hellfire too, aka not Zoo.

You can find the standard Zoo deck on tempostorm.com - I basically use the same list except I switch a Harvest Golem for a BK, which is necessary at high ranks.

I've checked out tempostorm, not impressed. More angry at gaara then anything. So, it looks like zoo, isn't zoo? Interesting. I'd like to see one of these warlock face decks. I'm a huge fan of face decks, I love shockadin and warrior face (don't hate on the face decks lol)
Reply Quote
warlocks dominate the ladder, they always have and always will.
Reply Quote
06/08/2014 02:46 PMPosted by TranceFox
I'd like to see one of these warlock face decks. I'm a huge fan of face decks, I love shockadin and warrior face (don't hate on the face decks lol)

I don't know where you can find an exact list, honestly. Might have to hop around on hearthpwn. I don't have anything against face decks except the fact that if you're ever forced to use your damage to trade, you lose.
Reply Quote
06/08/2014 02:47 PMPosted by AntonChigur
warlocks dominate the ladder, they always have and always will.

No one said they didn't or did...? Kinda random post there my friend.
Reply Quote
06/08/2014 02:48 PMPosted by Kuncussion
06/08/2014 02:46 PMPosted by TranceFox
I'd like to see one of these warlock face decks. I'm a huge fan of face decks, I love shockadin and warrior face (don't hate on the face decks lol)

I don't know where you can find an exact list, honestly. Might have to hop around on hearthpwn. I don't have anything against face decks except the fact that if you're ever forced to use your damage to trade, you lose.

In most cases yeah, but with shockadin vs zoolock you gotta do a lot of trading and win board control if you want to beat them. I've checked all around hearthpwn and you would figure they would be around the high ranked but still nothing but murlock decks and I hate murlock decks lol...
Reply Quote
I think the Zoolocks, went a little more aggressive to kill of the Miracle rogues. It is still friggin' Zoolock though. Buncha neutral stuff held together by Life tap. How more Zoo-ish can you get?
Reply Quote
Most people run it as rush decks because its low-cost minions and it actually works. That shows how powerful that deck actually is.
Reply Quote
06/08/2014 02:53 PMPosted by KillerTapir
I think the Zoolocks, went a little more aggressive to kill of the Miracle rogues

The normal Zoo deck can already burn down the Rogue's HP easily if you play it properly. The leper gnome/leeroy version (which I repeat, is not Zoo) cares less about Fan of Knives/Blade Flurry board wipes, but it's not as consistent as Zoo.

If people are switching to the Rush/Burn Warlock over Zoo, all it means is that they don't understand Zoo as much as they think they do.
Reply Quote
The hyper aggressive Lock deck is due to it better able to counter Miracle Rogue.
Reply Quote
06/08/2014 03:12 PMPosted by Kuncussion
If people are switching to the Rush/Burn Warlock over Zoo, all it means is that they don't understand Zoo as much as they think they do.
Zoo with a couple of cards replaced is still zoo.
And they replace cards to improve a matchup.
Reply Quote
06/08/2014 03:48 PMPosted by Bosskiller
The hyper aggressive Lock deck is due to it better able to counter Miracle Rogue.

Exactly. If it can still be called Zoo when it shifts far enough in this direction, that's what it's doing. It's morphed to try and obliterate Miracle before it can get its combo, as with a lot of the aggro coming out of the woodwork.

Zoo will always kind of evolve to match the meta, going more for control when there are other aggro decks to worry about, or more of a balance when straightforward control is abound. I'm interested to see if they inject some silences when all the freaky effects from Naxxramas enter the pool.
Reply Quote
06/08/2014 03:52 PMPosted by Dissentient
06/08/2014 03:12 PMPosted by Kuncussion
Zoo with a couple of cards replaced is still zoo.
And they replace cards to improve a matchup.

Zoo is a way of thinking and playing more than a set of cards. The idea behind it is to win through board presence. In other words, focus on making excellent trades with your minions and smash face when possible. The cards in the deck are all designed to be able to trade "up" and when you must occasionally trade 2-1, do so such that you leave the most durable stuff on the table.

Are the cards in it good for rush? Sure. But you'd choose different stuff in that case. Take Abusive - 2/1 pump +2atk for another creature. In Zoo it's used almost entirely to allow a smaller creature to trade with a larger one. In a rush deck it's burn. You kinda don't care if it gets killed soon after - the whole point was to give two damage to the other player's head. He has to waste a removal spell on it, but if it lasts a turn, it's just gravy. Leper gnomes - great in rush. Bad in zoo. Dark Iron Dwarves - good in zoo, bad in rush. Leeroy is not good at all in Zoo. But amazing in rush. Power Overwhelming - it's burn. Bad in zoo. Great in rush.

The fact that people are playing zoo as a rush deck is a shame, because there are better ones out there. Shockadin is a much much better rush deck than zoo. The burn is much better, you don't have to lifetap to cover your discards, you get to play your own board sweepers, and all your cards swing for the face. Heck, Mage rush is a better rush deck than zoo. You can ping off annoying little minions and get the secrets to help the deck against combo.

But anyway, Zoo is not rush. Even if they run many cards in common.
Reply Quote
I don't care for titles, most people just call all of them zoo

Basically there are 2 versions and variations of them and zoo is better as pressure than burst, adding more burst makes you better against combo decks such as miracle and freeze mage and make you worse against aggro, rush, and control decks, with the exception of handlock who hates burst.

So it makes sense people run it but miracle still has a decent chance and frankly i didn't see any at 5+ rank.
Edited by Nadrac on 6/8/2014 5:41 PM PDT
Reply Quote
http://www.hearthhead.com/deck=48555/legend-16hp-must-be-safe-warlock

That's an example of what you're talking about. I've seen Mur-Lock built in a similar way. As a zoo player myself, I'm always happy to see a Warlock opponent play Leper Gnomes. They're going to value their cards differently (points of damage), and not in a way that favors them.

No doubt they don't cringe against Rogue the way I am currently. :-)
Reply Quote
Trying using this as a rush/face deck. Plus has ability to do SOME board control. http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/44560-reynad-zoo-warlock
Reply Quote
06/08/2014 05:44 PMPosted by Morphon
http://www.hearthhead.com/deck=48555/legend-16hp-must-be-safe-warlock

That's an example of what you're talking about. I've seen Mur-Lock built in a similar way. As a zoo player myself, I'm always happy to see a Warlock opponent play Leper Gnomes. They're going to value their cards differently (points of damage), and not in a way that favors them.

No doubt they don't cringe against Rogue the way I am currently. :-)

Awesome, this is what I was looking for. It's a bit outdated as far as cards go but its a nice basis to build on. Thanks a lot man! I love face decks and this will add more variety to my fun ^_^
Reply Quote
In my opinion, the nice thing about Aggro Warlock is that it's non-commital. You can go for the face or control the board as the situation demands, the hero ability gives you much more flexibility than Aggro in other classes.

Beyond the skeleton, most builds have a unified theme determining your default approach... but everything remains flexible:

Direct damage and more Charge creatures, possibly Hellfire for a soft reset.
Divine Shield package + Blood Knight (meta choice, ok in its own right).
Attack value package + Big Game Hunter (meta choice, questionable in its own right).
Sticky and buffing minions for the best trades anywhere.
Reply Quote
06/08/2014 02:40 PMPosted by TranceFox
The last 3 seasons Zoolock was ment as a control deck, controlling the board while dealing damage where you could. All of a sudden it's turned into some sort of rush deck lol...

So now we are complaining that net-deckers don't use the original net deck with the original strategy?

People can play as they want, just because someone invented a deck a couple of months ago and it worked well to play like that at that time doesn't mean it still fits the meta and works well to play that way still. If fact, it would be odd if it did. The Leeroy PO "zoo variant" is an evolution, it may not be better on paper, but there is a great chance the opponent misplays against it - expecting a normal zoo deck with far less burst potential. When they learn they were wrong it's already too late.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]