Warlock Card to make Pit Lord Playable

Soul Shield

3 mana

Draw a card. For the duration of your turn, your hero is immune to damage

Open to suggestions, but I think this opens up a lot of choices for Warlock we haven't seen so far. Granted, the new card warlock is getting helps, but this would be a cool addition. Whadd'ya think?

edit: I'm reluctantly willing to make it 2 mana card. If you count in the value of the card draw, that means that the hero invulnerability effectively costs 1 mana, with over 10 potential damage negated.

However, considering it needs to combo with specific cards in order to have an effect, and the extreme power of other combos in this game, it might not be unreasonable.
Edited by Thelonious on 6/11/2014 4:09 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I like it. Doesn't seem OP at that cost since it translates into 3 mana for 5 heal if you play one pit lord alongside, or 6 heal with two flame imps. Could allow Jarraxxas to take a 3 dmg swing at a minion without dropping your health.
Reply Quote
It translates into 7 mana 5/6. :P
Reply Quote
or make the mana cost 1, because it costs 1 card, so you need to draw more. or the pit lord returns 3 health to you on deathrattle, so it can be silenced by the opponent.

life siphon: firstly cost 3 mana, it deals 1 damage, returns 1 health to you and returns to your hand as 1 mana cost.

btw you can use sacrificial pact on a lower demon to balance the health lost. if you dont have anymore demons in your deck, sense demons will put 2x 1/1 imps in your hand.
Reply Quote
If the Pit Lord had taunt to go along with the cost, he would be worth considering playing. As is, he's fun to ignore.
Reply Quote
06/11/2014 08:57 AMPosted by Ahn
or make the mana cost 1, because it costs 1 card, so you need to draw more. or the pit lord returns 3 health to you on deathrattle, so it can be silenced by the opponent.

life siphon: firstly cost 3 mana, it deals 1 damage, returns 1 health to you and returns to your hand as 1 mana cost.

btw you can use sacrificial pact on a lower demon to balance the health lost. if you dont have anymore demons in your deck, sense demons will put 2x 1/1 imps in your hand.

So thats a lot of suggestions, here's my response

If it cost one mana, it would automatically be included in every deck. Considering it draws you a card, you could for 4 mana draw two cards using life tap, and also play a flame imp while negating 5 damage. Might be a tad strong

Life Siphon to me sounds like a better version of headcrack, I don't think its what warlock really needs

Sacrificial Pact is generally inferior to cards like earthen ring far-seer, because it hurts your board. Using Sense Demons to draw a Worthless Imp so you can sacrificial pact is a 2 card, 4 mana combo that heals you for 5. Definitely not value.
Reply Quote
I'm attempting to run pit lord. At low level ladder, it works just fine. Gradually working my way up.

Pit lord is a 5/6 demon, which is about 6 mana cost in value, at a 4 mana cost.
If you consider hero power and flame imp mana-life exchange, 5 life for 2 mana is about right (but I think 4 life is 'more' right since most people would value a 5/6 demon to be about 5.5 mana).

Pit lord + flame imp = way too much self damage, so you can't use them together. I've tried. Another concern is removal. If the opponent uses removal on it you are just out your HP. In practice, a 6 hp body means that most 3 cost removal can't actually kill the pit lord, and most minions at 4 mana die in one attack to the pit lord. So it usually yields good board control that isn't immediately removed. As for the 5 life; if your deck is based on Molten Giants, you can get them out usually a turn sooner. Nobody has used hard removal on my pit lords because they know giants are coming, and they will need it for that.

I just played a game against a murloc deck where my turn 3 was coin+pit lord. Turn 4 was a free molten giant and defender of argus. It would have taken all of his cards to get through that, and he never actually killed the pit lord, which traded with 2 of his minions. If it was a yeti, he'd have chewed it up with a soulfire and a low damage murloc, but that 1 hp made all the difference, since he didn't have any weak ones that could do 3 damage (argus buff) .

Any deck that fights well against pit lord idea (like hunter) is already strong against handlock anyway.
Edited by Skies on 6/11/2014 8:02 PM PDT
Reply Quote
@Skies

I don't believe that there's any card in this game so bad that it can't be run in any deck, and its quite possible that pit lord was one of the few cards that could have turned it around. But barring molten giants, there is almost no synergy between pit lord and any other card. In this situation, it seems like the key victory cards were your molten giant and your defender of argus.

One key problem is that there are only three warlock decks that see lots of play; murloc, zoo, and handlock. The only one of those that pit lord can fit into is handlock, and even then there are very few cards that people would be willing to swap at all, much less for a card like pit lord.

I guess run with it for as long as you can, but I doubt that pit lord is better than yeti in all but the most rare occurrences.
Reply Quote
the preventing damage sounds similair to the wow spell dark bargain. I have got pit lord aswell, I guess you could use it along with other low cost minions, pit lord being stronger.

The new warlock card voidcaller puts a demon on the battlefield on deathrattle, but a better suggestion would be if voidcaller´s deathrattle negates your next demon effect. Silence can making it harder for you.
Reply Quote
2 mana:

"When you take damage this turn, you are healed instead."

No card draw with that combo.
Reply Quote
06/11/2014 11:48 PMPosted by Thelonious
In this situation, it seems like the key victory cards were your molten giant and your defender of argus.

I disagree. Pit lord was equally important. I had 7 life at the start of my turn 4. Without the 5 self damage from pit lord, I would not have been able to play both molten giant and defender of argus. Additionally, my opponent didn't just concede, and I got to see his hand. Turns out that he could have killed a yeti and still been in a position to deal damage to me. A top deckedsoulfire or doomguard within the next turn or two would have secured the win for him.

06/11/2014 11:48 PMPosted by Thelonious
But barring molten giants, there is almost no synergy between pit lord and any other card.

This I agree with. To a lesser it works with extent other fatties too because they all kind of call for hard removal. I also run Jaraxxus and Alex to mitigate the life loss.
Reply Quote
06/11/2014 08:31 AMPosted by michalsuch

It would also mean you don't take damage from Life Tap, Flame Imps, Hellfire (via coin or whatever), etc. you play that same turn. As well as prevent JARAXXUS from taking damage via his weapon.

If it was "Next time you would take damage this turn, prevent it" that would be something else but... with the Immunity effect there for the duration it changes the value of it.
Reply Quote
the issue with the pit lord is the pit lord itself that we have to resort to stupid loopholes and special cards to use it, the card is garbage, it needs a change by itself, period
Reply Quote
06/12/2014 12:58 PMPosted by Tsenzei
06/11/2014 08:31 AMPosted by michalsuch

It would also mean you don't take damage from Life Tap, Flame Imps, Hellfire (via coin or whatever), etc. you play that same turn. As well as prevent JARAXXUS from taking damage via his weapon.

If it was "Next time you would take damage this turn, prevent it" that would be something else but... with the Immunity effect there for the duration it changes the value of it.

This is exactly it. It'll allow you to pit lord, flame imp and tap for ten mana, negating 10 damage and potentially keeping you out of imminent death range
Reply Quote
This one is synergistic with a lot:

Fel Armor:
0 mana:
'Deal 5 damage to your hero. Gain armor equal to health lost this turn at the end of the turn.'

So a turn 6 Fel Armor+ Pit lord + Flame imp + Flame imp = 15 damage taken converted into armor, giving you 5 cost giants next turn.

The drawback of the card is that it is situational and cannot be used below 5 health (and can't be useful below 8 health), but the benefit is that it makes pit lord playable and allows you to play molten giants with pit lord.

In another sense it's line innervate for warlocks.

Synergies:

Hellfire
Pit Lord
Flame Imp
Jaraxxus Weapon
Life Tap
Dread Infernal
Molten Giant
Alexstrasza
Reply Quote
@AlexL

I don't think that what warlock needs is even more synergy with molten giants, even though this seems the obvious choice in pit lord viability.

So from 20 health you could play this card, pit lord, 2 molten giants and then be armoured back up to 20. It would seriously affect the ability to play around handlock, as you could no longer delay giants until you feel you can deal with them.
Reply Quote
06/12/2014 06:50 PMPosted by Thelonious
@AlexL

I don't think that what warlock needs is even more synergy with molten giants, even though this seems the obvious choice in pit lord viability.

So from 20 health you could play this card, pit lord, 2 molten giants and then be armoured back up to 20. It would seriously affect the ability to play around handlock, as you could no longer delay giants until you feel you can deal with them.

Handlock doesn't have deck space for all of these cards. You'd make a midrange lock out of this stuff.
Reply Quote
06/12/2014 04:47 PMPosted by AlexL

Fel Armor:
0 mana:
'Deal 5 damage to your hero. Gain armor equal to health lost this turn at the end of the turn.'

So a turn 6 Fel Armor+ Pit lord + Flame imp + Flame imp = 15 damage taken converted into armor, giving you 5 cost giants next turn.

The drawback of the card is that it is situational and cannot be used below 5 health (and can't be useful below 8 health), but the benefit is that it makes pit lord playable and allows you to play molten giants with pit lord.

Synergies:

Hellfire
Pit Lord
Flame Imp
Jaraxxus Weapon
Life Tap
Dread Infernal
Molten Giant
Alexstrasza

So a double Pit Lord would give you a net zero life loss but be able to use Molten Giants well.
It'll also make the self damage from using Jaxx weapon (providing you live) disappear.

I think you'd have to give the Fel Armour card a mana cost to balance it or say "zero mana + discard one random card". That'd be fair as you don't want Fel Armour to be your last card and abusing the no RNG discard loophole with it would be against the point of the card as you'd not have many cards to get armour from.

So I think this is how the card should look.

Fel Armour
0 mana
Deal 5 damage to your hero. Gain armor equal to health lost this turn at the end of this turn. Discard one random card.
Reply Quote
06/14/2014 12:32 AMPosted by the8thark
06/12/2014 04:47 PMPosted by AlexL

Fel Armor:
0 mana:

Synergies:

Hellfire
Pit Lord
Flame Imp
Jaraxxus Weapon
Life Tap
Dread Infernal
Molten Giant
Alexstrasza

So a double Pit Lord would give you a net zero life loss but be able to use Molten Giants well.
It'll also make the self damage from using Jaxx weapon (providing you live) disappear.

I think you'd have to give the Fel Armour card a mana cost to balance it or say "zero mana + discard one random card". That'd be fair as you don't want Fel Armour to be your last card and abusing the no RNG discard loophole with it would be against the point of the card as you'd not have many cards to get armour from.

So I think this is how the card should look.

Fel Armour
0 mana
Deal 5 damage to your hero. Gain armor equal to health lost this turn at the end of this turn. Discard one random card.

Discard is too high. Maybe 1 mana cost? Lol. It's pretty situational, sort of like Savagery is. It'll be a dead card a lot of the time: I think that's enough to justify a cost of 0, but 1 might be okay.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]