Thoughts on Warlock Hero Power

I believe the warlock hero power may be too powerful, but I have been unable to conceive of a solution. The warlock hero power rather disconnects the Warlock from conventional card advantage, which is not necessarily a bad thing, but it creates a situation where playing against a warlock is drastically different than playing against any other class. And while I will not jump on the anti-zoo band wagon, I will say that the card consistency and momentum provided by the card drawing enables breeds of aggression decks of which Zoo is likely only the tip of the iceberg. Zoo decks run so few warlock class cards that just about any other class could pick up a bastardization of the formula, but unless their class cards provide significant advantages, will always be outdone by the card-drawing mechanics of the warlock hero power.

At first glance, I would have thought the warlock hero power required a complete mechanical overhaul. However, the unfortunate truth is that the warlock class cards are balanced around the assumption that the warlock has a way to draw cards. Many class cards force the warlock to discard, and not one enables him to draw cards, so a complete redesign of the hero power is out of the question because if the warlock cannot draw cards with his hero power he will quickly become the worst class in the game

So working on the assumption that the warlock hero power is too powerful and it must be a hero power that draws cards, the only option remaining is to increase the cost of using the ability. Either by increasing the self damage, the mana cost, or attaching some other negative effect to it. Unfortunately though, because you cannot have half a life or half a mana, the only options are costing the mana cost at three, (making it largely unwiedly) or burning the player for 3 life (Just making the deck more suicidal and not really solving the issue at hand)

The only remaining option is to attach some other side effect to the ability, but I have been unable to come up with something that doesn't feel too heavy handed.

Do you have any ideas?
Reply Quote
I personally don't think it needs any changes but if you wanted to go that route you could have it take one discard to turn the power on at the start of the game.

Playing against Warlock means you have to do damage quicker than usual, this has the effect of making the 2 life required to pay being more painful than usual.
Reply Quote
06/12/2014 03:18 AMPosted by Rae
At first glance, I would have thought the warlock hero power required a complete mechanical overhaul. However, the unfortunate truth is that the warlock class cards are balanced around the assumption that the warlock has a way to draw cards. Many class cards force the warlock to discard, and not one enables him to draw cards, so a complete redesign of the hero power is out of the question because if the warlock cannot draw cards with his hero power he will quickly become the worst class in the game

That's not really true. For one, Mortal Coil and Sense Demons both have Card Draw effects, albeit conditional ones. There are also only 3 different cards which have a discard effect on them, and of them only 2 are considered to be any good in the current meta. Then there's the other 20 cards (21 with Naxx).

Just to nip this in the bud:
The Warlock class doesn't have weaker cards because of the Hero Power though. If it did Flame Imp, Voidwalker, Mortal Coil, Hellfire, Shadowflame, Soul Siphon, and so many others would be "unacceptable." Warlock does have a lot of weak cards, but this isn't compensation for some Power power, but rather a result of either the Meta (Infernal, Demonfire, Sense Demons, Pit Lord would all be good in a different meta I think), or simply being slightly below average compared to other class cards. Or having remained over-costed as an article of past iterations (aka: Drain Life) and Blizzard not wanting to buff things in general.

Blizzard has considered Life Tap to be fundamentally balanced within itself, due to the extra health loss associated with the ability.
Reply Quote
06/12/2014 09:08 AMPosted by Lorinda
I personally don't think it needs any changes but if you wanted to go that route you could have it take one discard to turn the power on at the start of the game.

Playing against Warlock means you have to do damage quicker than usual, this has the effect of making the 2 life required to pay being more painful than usual.

I also think that it does not need any changes, however you're idea wouldn't really do much. It would slow it down by one turn.
Reply Quote
In my opinion the Warlocks deck ability of losing health to draw a card from his deck (which may or may not be helpful at the time) is ultimately self defeating. I propose the following 2 alternative changes, and if this needs to be put in a different section of the forums please feel free to forward / re post it there so blizzard will see it, thanks.

Idea 1) "Warlock sacrifices a card from his hand to heal for the combined amount of that cards attack / defense digits" Example- card has 3 attack and 3 defense then warlock would heal for 6.

Idea 2) "Warlock sacrifices a card from his hand to gain 2 turn shield to direct damage" much like the way warlocks in wow use there void-walkers.

Hope you all like my ideas....feel free to offer input :D
Edited by Dracul on 6/18/2014 11:56 AM PDT
Reply Quote
The issue of Life tap is in its cost. It costs 2 mana and 2 health. The higher cost allows it to be stronger than any 2 mana only heropower. To make it simpler, it is as if warlock has a 3 mana hero power while everyone else has a 2 mana one. While having a fair outcome for its cost of 2 mana and 2 health, Life Tap allows warlocks to cast a more powerful heropower each turn, thus giving them an unique edge. While not game breaking, it is no mystery Life Tap is super powerful and those are the reasons why.

Now if we are to propose a fix to it, increasing the health cost is just silly as it would only make Life Tap the only overpriced heropower and not fix the problem at all. The solution I believe is to remove the 2 health cost and make it a 2 mana only hero power, just like all the other 8 heropowers. But, in order to cost 2 mana only Life Tap would need a nerf in terms of power. To do so you can either change the hero power completely and remove the card draw, or somehow nerf the card draw mechanic.

One option is to make Warlock's hero power cost 2 mana only and summon a 0/1 demon with Deathrattle: draw a card. The obvious drawback is its 0 attack, so perhaps giving it taunt is possible, but keep in mind that such minion would die to any AoE, and being a demon with 1 health would synergize with warlock cards such as Sacrificial Pact, Demonfire, Void Terror, Hellfire, Dread Infernal and Twisting Nether. Besides, it is alway a buffable minion and with naxx coming by death rattles will increase in power making such a minion more viable. This would conserve the card draw mechanic while still nerfing it and making the Warlock heropower a 2 mana only just like everyone else's. Of course, Life Tap would still be waaaaaay superior, but that's the point, besides I think it is a viable option for a 2 mana only heropower with cardraw.

(Check this thread OP http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/forum/topic/12946065023 )
Edited by azkuel on 6/18/2014 11:44 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]