Secret Suggestion

So there's a new paladin secret for Curse of Nax. It looks like it could be a pretty decent addition to the ones already in play.
But... one of the biggest complaints about secrets are that they can't be used on your turn. Because of this, secrets aren't as great as they could be.

But, in a way this makes sense since secrets are like "traps" that your opponent wanders into. The biggest argument against secrets is that if you can use them the turn you play them, they'd essentially be spells. Very true.

However, secrets on your own turn did make things more interesting. There were more unique combos and tricks that could be used. This is especially true for paladin, who had many tricks in tandem with the secrets, but also goes for mages too, especially since they're getting a new secret as well (not really for hunters though).

On the other hand, some argue that being able to choose when your secret activates makes it a little too strong; Such as being able to choose which minion to redemption.

Alas, at this current stage with paladin secrets, seldom do they see play except perhaps for Noble Sacrifice.

Here is my suggestion to enable the best of both worlds. This is suggestion is helpful for paladins, but can also extend to mages as well.

Adjust secrets so that they can be used on your own turn but have a one turn 'set-up' time.

This means that the turn you play the secret, it cannot be triggered by yourself. However, you could self trigger it on your next turn, if the secret is still in play.

How will this change things? Not too much initially; on your opponent's turn they will still have to deal with the secret, so if they trigger it the secret will be played like it is now.

However, if your opponent plays around the secret, which is easy to do if they use the process of elimination to deduce which secret you might have, you have the option of using the secret for a combo.

This opens up more options for the paladin (and mage) so long as the secret stays.
Reply Quote
The problem with the Paladin secrets are they are too easy to play around. You can play around all of them by attacking the Paladin's face with your weakest minion. If nothing triggers, its redemption.

Our own hero power is also a counter to our own secret: Redemption.
Reply Quote
06/18/2014 04:17 AMPosted by EonDrache
The problem with the Paladin secrets are they are too easy to play around. You can play around all of them by attacking the Paladin's face with your weakest minion. If nothing triggers, its redemption.

Our own hero power is also a counter to our own secret: Redemption.

No, it could also be repentance. Tell a handlock to attack you with a weak minion first, before playing his turn 4 mountain giant.

Redemption is really strong, when coupled with powerful deathrattles, Cairne for example. Its value might increase a lot, once naxx hits.

While I'm by no means a paladin expert, I've made a deck with a lot of secrets, because I lack all the "good cards" like Sword of Justice or Avenging Wrath.

So far I've won
- 3/4 vs handlock
- 3/5 vs zoo
- 1/1 vs facelock (only power overwhelming, leeroy)
- 0/2 vs shockadin
- 2/2 vs priest
- 1/3 vs miracle
- 2/3 vs shaman
- 1/2 vs ramp druid
- 0/2 vs facehunter
- 2/2 vs midrange hunter
- 2/2 vs mage
- 0/1 vs controlpala

This is me playing from rank 10 to rank 8 (currently). Granted not too impressive, but not too shabby either.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]