Naturalize

It's too bad the drawback for it is so massive....I just played a priest matchup where it would've been the only viable card to counter his midgame, but I haven't been using it.... I've been using damage-type spells to clear minions, and this just wasn't going to work against his infinitely full-health 5/6 Harrison jones...

That and I didn't draw any force of nature or starfire the entire match...which sucks.
Reply Quote
06/20/2014 12:32 PMPosted by Dimlhugion
There's three metas to consider in any ccg: casual, competitive, and pro.

Casual is what it sounds like. You're not trying to enter tourneys or gain ranks, you're just here to have fun. Naturalize is great in casual because it removes a threat while still having enough mana to almost always play one of your own.

Competitive is in-between casual and pro. You're trying for rank on a ladder, or maybe you're entering a local tourney or two. This is the level where you need to start weighing a cost-benefit-analysis of the cards you run. Naturalize may pass muster here if used in the situations already outlined above.

Pro is what it sounds like. You're in it to win it, you're good enough to make bank, you're Amaz, etc. If you're looking to compete at this level you should start by looking at what the other pros use, and I can tell you that NOBODY who ran druid in DH Summer Top 8 used Naturalize in their decks. It's too situational for the pros to consider worth slotting.

So the TL;DR version is to figure out which meta you're going to compete in, and work things out from there. Casually, just about anything is fine. Competitively, maybe you keep naturalize maybe you don't. Pro, you don't run it period.

The reason you sort out which meta you're entering is because the game changes based on the skill level of your opponents. Just because someone netdecked Amaz's priest doesn't mean they're going to have a 51+% win rate with it. You need to make decisions all the time in ccg's, and pros make fewer mistake than competitive players, who in turn make fewer mistakes than casuals, as a general rule.

So the caliber of your opponent, in a sense, dictates how much leeway you have with your deck. Now, bear in mind there's nothing to stop a pro player from smurfing in casual mode, but those instances are rarer than people tend to think.

Argument from authority? The pros aren't always right. In this case, I'd say they're quite wrong.
Edited by reasonet on 6/24/2014 11:35 PM PDT
Reply Quote
It's funny but Druid is more about board control than Shaman (A class whose hero power is putting tokens on the board). But we're so damn good at gaining board control that it "usually" doesn't matter if we don't have our own version of hex. If naturalize was like oracle but with one card then it'd be usable but as is, unless you wanna mill ppl (Which I completely support since it's hilarious) then you don't get much value out of naturalize.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]